Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurants at Fairmont in YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Restaurants at Fairmont in YVR

Trying to decide if I should stay at Pacific Rim or Waterfront in Vancouver

Thoughts on the Restaurant selection at each hotel as I have gift cards for hotels, so I might be eating a lot the hotels
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Pac Rim - No question about it

The difference between the two hotels is night/day.

The Pacific Rim is now the *in* hotel for the locals too; so be prepared for some busy weekend nights with live entertainment.

Oru has a great brunch and is quite nice overall. I haven't tried any other restaurants at the Pac Rim despite 10+ stays in the last 12 months.

Try them and report back!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Pres Club, Starwood Gold, NEXUS
If you want new, sleek, modern go for Pacific Rim. If you want historical, grand, regal, go for Hotel Van. Oru at Pacific Rim is great, would definitely recommend over any Hotel Van restaurants. Also the lobby bar has great vibe and finger foods.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
How is Globe @ YVR? I've stayed several times at Fairmont Vancouver Airport but not dined here so curious to see what others think if they've tried it. I have a night on hold ahead of a conference and might give it a try instead of the fast food within the airport terminal or venturing offsite or on the Canada Line downtown. Just a thought...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I had a very good fish dinner with interesting and decent Canadian chardonnay in the Waterfront hotel. It seems to do a lot of cruise business, so you should expect big groups in the lobby at times.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:13 am

Whether or not you stay at the Pacific Rim I'd recommend at least visiting their coffee shop, it's called Giovanne and is tucked away behind the check-in, they do really nice soups, coffees and delicious baked goods. Perfect for a light lunch or afternoon coffee.

It gets busy but not overcrowded at the weekends, great for people watching and a casual bite, and the hotel wireless extends there so you can get online.

Enjoy your stay in Vancouver!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Havenīt stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver in a while, but IIRC they offer more traditional, uspcale dining options (similar to the Empress in Victoria), this is where Iīd go with family, or to get a good dinner in a non-rushed atmosphere.

The Globe Bar at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport is a great place, you can watch the airport while while enjoying some decent quality food and a few drinks, not cheap, but much better value than the outlets in the airport (though the Milestone restaurant in the intīl concourse isnīt bad) I also very much liked their breakfast buffet offering.

The Pacific Rim is my personal favourite in YVR and Iīve tried all the dining options there:

- Giovane: basically a more upscale Starbucks with a unique character; I grab some breakfast/lunch/coffee there whenever Iīm a hurry/canīt be bothered to pay for in-room dining. Their food and coffee are excellent, definitely give it a shot.

- Oru Restaurant: this is more a place to take part in a "dining experience" than a place to get a large, filling meal. The basic concept is that the dishes combine a variety of ingredients you wouldnīt expect to be combined or you havenīt heard of before. "salmon" would be replaced with "chili infused vodka smoked salmon with lemongrass in a sake sauce" (or something like that ). Food and service are excellent, but you have to be in the mood for "creative cooking", as youīll be hard pressed to find any traditional dishes there. Iīd recommend their pre-fixe lunch at $26 which includes four (small) courses which will give you a great idea of their offering.

- lobby lounge/bar: great, modern location to enjoy a few cocktails and some snacks, great life music at night, very popular place, can be somewhat (over-)crowded at times
Old Jul 4, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Don't forget the poor neglected Fairmont Waterfront

Their weekend brunch buffet is one of the finest on all of the earth.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Havenīt stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver in a while, but IIRC they offer more traditional, uspcale dining options (similar to the Empress in Victoria), this is where Iīd go with family, or to get a good dinner in a non-rushed atmosphere.

The Globe Bar at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport is a great place, you can watch the airport while while enjoying some decent quality food and a few drinks, not cheap, but much better value than the outlets in the airport (though the Milestone restaurant in the intīl concourse isnīt bad) I also very much liked their breakfast buffet offering.

The Pacific Rim is my personal favourite in YVR and Iīve tried all the dining options there:

- Giovane: basically a more upscale Starbucks with a unique character; I grab some breakfast/lunch/coffee there whenever Iīm a hurry/canīt be bothered to pay for in-room dining. Their food and coffee are excellent, definitely give it a shot.

- Oru Restaurant: this is more a place to take part in a "dining experience" than a place to get a large, filling meal. The basic concept is that the dishes combine a variety of ingredients you wouldnīt expect to be combined or you havenīt heard of before. "salmon" would be replaced with "chili infused vodka smoked salmon with lemongrass in a sake sauce" (or something like that ). Food and service are excellent, but you have to be in the mood for "creative cooking", as youīll be hard pressed to find any traditional dishes there. Iīd recommend their pre-fixe lunch at $26 which includes four (small) courses which will give you a great idea of their offering.

- lobby lounge/bar: great, modern location to enjoy a few cocktails and some snacks, great life music at night, very popular place, can be somewhat (over-)crowded at times

okay. had a BLAST At RIM. It's over the top. Nicest place i've stayed at - (granted, I've only stayed at at W Times Square, Cabo, M.O. in Miami and NYC and other Fairmonts and JW's in Phx).
Only did food at Giovane and it was GREAT. Thanks for the review. Dinner, we went to Coast....parking KILLED me at $43....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.