Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Fairmont Group?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Fairmont Group?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
If youŽre planning to go to the Canadian Rockies, IŽd also recommend staying at Jasper Park Lodge, it really is a unique lodging experience IMO. It may not be as luxurious as some other Fairmonts, but I always found the privacy amazing, e.g. having breakfast on the balcony overlooking the lake, mountains etc.

IŽm also a big fan of the Empress, very classic hotel, great location and exceptional staff.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
So an extraordinary hotel has a subpar room? That's quite the admission and hardly makes it a one off if others are staying in that same room.
You should try one of BSH's 'moderate' rooms.. smaller than a Fairmont room.. could you imagine? Its' the Travel Agent rate you're on.. Maybe to get better service, on the reservation details, tell them that there has been a bunch of requests from you customers' regarding how the suites are like in the hotel (tongue in cheek of course).. Request best suite available so you may communicate your experience to your customers.. It gives the hotel a reason to try and impress you. Enjoy your next suite.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by point bonita lighthouse
I am grateful to everyone contributing to this thread and would greatly appreciate additional ideas on this topic.

In my business career I have had the fortune of staying in innumerable five star hotels in business capitols around the world. While extremely pleasant and often providing strong service I have no strong desire to return to them for personal travel.

On occasion I have encountered hotels that are exceptional with a classical elegance, tall ceilings, interesting history and breathtaking views. The Fairmont group has a number of them in its portfolio and I started this thread because I wanted to plan trips with my wife to enjoy them.

IMHO strong examples of these types of hotels are Banff Springs, Montreux Palace, the Plaza and the Savoy. Chateau Lake Louise is not far behind.

Given the earlier recommendation in this thread by tcook I am planning a trip during the fall colors to Le Chateau Frontenac and some smaller Inns in New England.

As Ancien is aware I am also planning a trip to Banff and Lake Louise in a month.

While many of the other hotels that I have actually travelled to in the group are extremely nice I personally do not find that they reach that level.

IMHO their Hawaiian hotels are in this category. The rooms and the views are exceeded by other more distinctive hotels. The same with some of their city hotels.

it is a very subjective matter and I appreciate the perspectives of all FT members each from their own unique experience. As you can see from my list it ranges from city to near wilderness hotels. They can be historic or brand new. I hope we can use this thread to cull out the very most distinctive hotels in their portfolio around the world that are well worth a special personal trip.
Per your PM.. I've sent you my personal concierge info in case you want to guarantee the spa suite at Banff Springs Hotel.. I've arranged for any Premier or Platinum Member who wants to guarantee the spa suite, it's $100 per night with suite cert upgrade use.. so PM me for the info.

Sort of know what direction you're going now.. Regarding the Hawaii properties, Kea Lani was built on land lease, so they've built a hotel designed to be torn down. The location is excellent, but the hotel is a nice plain white. So I'm thinking you would prefer properties such as the Grand Wailea or the neighboring Four Seasons. The Orchid is one of the top architecturally featured hotels in all of the Islands.. The construction is remarkable, down to detailed raised panel wainscotting even in the exercise room.. and if you've ever checked their public washroom, the walls and floor is covered in complete marble.. even the toilet stalls and doors are covered in wood and complete marble.. Ritz Carlton built it twenty years ago. So if you don't like the Orchid, there really isn't much more out there in Hawaii. My guess, is you would probably like the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, where its an older hotel built in eastern tradition by Rockefeller. Its' more contemporary eastern, has the buddhist middle east feel.

Banff Springs Hotel is the ultimate there is.. Chateau Frontenac is very nice architecturally, but does not have the room and room size repertoire of BSH.. nor a spa. So if you like this type of hotel, they are generally referred to as Legacy.. Hotels like the Empress, Hotel Mac Donald, Palliser (although no view), Chataeu Laurier.. are examples of inklings of BSH. In your travels try them out if you're in the area.. I don't know if making a special trip is warranted though. FTers from YEG like Jasper Park Lodge.. almosts swears by it. I've been there, and the cabins look like it could use some work outside, and has outdoorsy feel to it. I like it, don't mind it.. but nothing like the Springs. CLL looks like a box, but the lake is where its' at.

The following is a list of top Fairmonts from Conde Naste Traveller..

•Top Canada Resorts - Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu, Charlevoix; The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise; The Fairmont Chateau Whistler; The Fairmont Banff Springs; Fairmont Le Château Frontenac, Quebec City; The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge; Fairmont Le Château Montebello
•Top Canada Hotels – The Fairmont Vancouver Airport; The Fairmont Waterfront, Vancouver; The Fairmont Empress, Victoria; The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver; Fairmont Château Laurier, Ottawa; The Fairmont Hotel MacDonald, Edmonton
•Top United States Hotels – The Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Seattle
•Top U.S. Mainland Large Resorts – Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
•Top Hawaii Resorts – The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui; The Fairmont Orchid
•Top Atlantic Ocean Resorts – The Fairmont Southampton
•Top Mexico Resorts - Fairmont Mayakoba, Riviera Maya
•Top Caribbean Resorts – The Fairmont Royal Pavilion
•Top Northern Europe Hotels - Fairmont Le Montreux Palace; Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, Hamburg
•Top Africa Resorts - Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club; Fairmont Mara Safari Club

Where you're living for a short trip.. I would try Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, Fairmont San Francisco (just did a reno I think 8 years ago).. check out the layout of others i.e. Mayakoba, Royal Pavilion, etc.. see if any of those hotels fit your criteria of a great hotel you need to check out.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Jan 8, 2011 at 11:05 am
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Thanks. I do not wish to move to far off topic but examples of extraordinary hotels in Hawaii IMHO would be the St Regis Princeville recently renovated with stunning views of Hannalei Bay and the Napali coast, the recently renovated Mauna Kea with it's extraordinary architecture, artwork, beaches and ocean view. Though behind these two I even like the Grand Hyatt Kauaii which was beautifully designed and terraced.

I may have been in the wrong suite in the Orchid but I found the actual rooms a bit outdated, with stale ventilation. You are right the hotel has some very attractive details, waterfalls, etc. but like some of the other Maui hotels you mentioned, IMHO while those features make for a very pleasant stay they do not rise to an extraordinary hotel. I realize this is very subjective and others prefer extraordinary pampering and service to views and natural beauty.

My experience is there are some hotels while extremely well appointed with excellent service you could basically be in any warm climate or any city and not know the difference. I really have come to appreciate those hotels where you know you are in Hawaii, London, the Canadian Rockies, etc. from the view from your hotel room.

Last edited by point bonita lighthouse; Jan 8, 2011 at 12:31 pm Reason: Additional point
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:23 pm
Suspended

The Orchid South Tower is to be avoided.. the 5th floor houses smokers. The North Tower all rooms back onto the view of the courtyards, spa without walls, and the golf courses. Being Platinum, we use our suite upgrades here, because you get a 1,050 sq ft suite at minimum. So if you book garden view room, then you get the garden view suite that is twice as big as the room itself.. and here is the secret.. All of the suites in the hotel.. yes every suite, is at most 4 regular rooms away from the ocean front. Even the Garden View Suites.. So if you book a garden view room, you will be backing on greenery near the front side of the hotel.. do the suite upgrade, you'll be tasting salt water with every breath.

My wife and I have visited the Mauna Kea on many of occasion.. there is the Clambake on Saturday nights.. very popular there.. at $82 per adult.. all you can eat lobsters. Sunday Brunch is our favorite at the Mauna Kea. My preference is the Surf, Sand and Stars at Four Seasons on Saturday nights.. all you can eat lobster, however smaller, but the sushi, sashimi, seafood, steaks, ribs, etc.. as well as the service is second to none.

We are not Mauna Kea fans, but do see why many stay there. Actually we can't stand the hotel, but the beaches are natural and beautiful.. the only natural beach on the Kohala coast.. all other beachs are man made and the sand is trucked in, including the Four Seasons Hualalai.. We probably like the Four Seasons the best.. but being loyal to Fairmont, wherever we travel, our bucks seems to stretch with FPC.

Mind me asking? PBLH.. What room and what part of the hotel did you stay in at the Orchid?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I've arranged for any Premier or Platinum Member who wants to guarantee the spa suite, it's $100 per night with suite cert upgrade use..
Forgive my ignorance, please, but what and where is a spa suite and what makes it worth an extra $100 per night?

As noted previously, I have a honeymoon suite booked for February using F&F and a suite upgrade. Would/should I be considering the deal you're suggesting? I guess it depends on the answer to the question in the first paragraph....

Edit: I've also seen you mention upgrades, I think, for Escape to Willow Stream. How does that work and is that an upgrade that one can add?

Last edited by Shenanigans; Jan 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shenanigans
Forgive my ignorance, please, but what and where is a spa suite and what makes it worth an extra $100 per night?

As noted previously, I have a honeymoon suite booked for February using F&F and a suite upgrade. Would/should I be considering the deal you're suggesting? I guess it depends on the answer to the question in the first paragraph....

Edit: I've also seen you mention upgrades, I think, for Escape to Willow Stream. How does that work and is that an upgrade that one can add?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...springs-4.html

Read post #46 on for some discussion..

Spa Suite is a one bedroom, living room, dining room combination suite.. features 1,000+ sq ft of architectural beauty including an ensuite about the size of a Fairmont room, a fireplace built with rundle that is higher end than the fireplace in the actual private spa area, the dining room is housed under a turret.. and features one of only two suites (both spa suites) that actually has a private concrete balcony that has patio furniture overlooking the Bow and Spray Valleys. 1051.. Kim Basinger, Michael Douglas, etc has rumored to have stayed in this fabulous suite. Not to mention a second bathroom.

btw.. last time in 1051, I noticed they renoed the original marble out and installed light textured tile.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
The top Fairmont hotels IMO are Banff Springs, Lake Louise, JPL, Fairmont Seattle and the Pacific Rim.

The problem with most historic Fairmont hotels (SFO, Edmonton, Vancouver downtown, Boston Copley Sq.) is that they offer great views and a fantastic location, but the rooms are not that fantastic, to be fair itŽs hard to update the bathroom iif the architect allocated 50sq.ft. for it, also some properties are just too large to offer 5* personalized service. The Gold Floors are these properties are fantastic, however.
I find the tower rooms very nice at the Fairmont San Francisco. The main building rooms are much less desirable however. As a Premier I always seem to get a Tower room at the Fairmont San Francisco ^

I'll add CLL to the list of properties without fantastic rooms, basic rooms at ~200 sqft with 2 beds are rather tiny.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by will5404
I find the tower rooms very nice at the Fairmont San Francisco. The main building rooms are much less desirable however. As a Premier I always seem to get a Tower room at the Fairmont San Francisco ^

I'll add CLL to the list of properties without fantastic rooms, basic rooms at ~200 sqft with 2 beds are rather tiny.
Tower suites at Fairmont San Francisco is 5*. CLL IMHO is a box.. nice lake.. I prefer lake to valley views.. but I'll take BSH anyday over CLL.. CLL nice to visit say once a year.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
I have inserted an update summarizing the input of different members on my original post for this thread. It is a rough attempt to subjectively cull out what are perceived as the most extraordinary hotels in the group. I would greatly appreciate friendly commentary on the list and its order.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:13 pm
Suspended

On my shortlist to visit.. when friendlier travel environments prevail.. would be the world class Fairmont Mayakoba.. recently rated by Conde Naste as one of the top hotels in Mexico.. and Fairmont Nile in Cairo.. Heard this one to be a Las Vegas type highrise, comfortable accomodations to visit the Pyramids.. Premier and Plats can upgrade to the Grand Nile Deluxe Suite overlooking the Nile River (retailing $2,200US per night).. talking about it is making me salivate. We were thinking about doing one of these hotels this summer, but decided we'll just relax at home, probably next year.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by point bonita lighthouse
I have inserted an update summarizing the input of different members on my original post for this thread. It is a rough attempt to subjectively cull out what are perceived as the most extraordinary hotels in the group. I would greatly appreciate friendly commentary on the list and its order.
Does it have to be friendly?

I think you did well. Some hotel chains have one signature flagship property and reviewing your top ten it's obvious Fairmont benefits from having arguably several such landmarks in its portfolio which puts it in good stead with its luxury hotel chain competition.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Tip of the ice berg as well.. sounds like some African properties haven't really got onto the radar.. this Mayakoba based on past FTer threads seems to be a beast of a property.. especially the upgrade using Suite Cert to Signature Casita Suite 1,000 sq ft+ 2 bath.. sweet.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks tcook your comment was very friendly.

Ancien I agree with your premise. I think there could be a number of hotels that will be bumped off the list in favor of even better hotels. I hope that we can get more input from FT members who have had the fortune to visit some of these very hotels and can help us compare them to those on the list.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Everyone's top ten is subjective. Awards are subjective too.. and are useful to determine and seperate the truly outstanding hotels from its counterparts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.