Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts property to open in Baku, Azerbaijan in early 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ea-1132403.htm

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts ("Fairmont") and Azinko Development M.M.C. ("Azinko") today announced the signing of their agreement for Fairmont to manage a new 347-guestroom luxury hotel property in the sparkling coastal city of Baku, Azerbaijan.

"This agreement allows Fairmont to establish an unmatched presence among the economic rebirth of an historic and important region," said Thomas W. Storey, President, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. "With the acceleration of Baku's oil and natural gas-rich economy and the growing demand for business and leisure hospitality, we feel Azerbaijan is an ideal fit for the Fairmont portfolio of distinctive properties."

Fairmont Baku is being developed by Azinko and is located on a prime site next to the Azerbaijan parliament buildings and overlooking the Caspian Sea. This new iconic complex, the Flame Towers, will incorporate hotel, residential and commercial space and will be linked by centrally located retail and leisure facilities. Opening of the Fairmont Baku is planned for early 2011.

"We are honored to work with Fairmont to bring this magnificent property to life," said Hassan Gozal, Managing Director, Azinko Development M.M.C. "The Flame Towers will be a shining example of the latest in Azerbaijan's brilliant construction design combined with the warmth and genuine comforts of a world-class hotelier."

The ancient windswept city of Baku, with its wide cypress-lined boardwalk and café filled streets, is experiencing a new influx of business travel due to the resurgence of the oil sector. With a petroleum-based economy, well-developed manufacturing sector and the busiest harbor on the ancient Silk Road trading routes between Europe and Asia, Baku is well-poised to become a major source of oil supply to the world markets.

"Fairmont is known for its iconic properties located in some of the world's most striking, dynamic locations and Fairmont Baku in the Flame Towers will be no exception," said Mr. Storey.

The Flame Towers will become a modern landmark resonating with heritage. In ancient times, the coast of Azerbaijan was infused by natural gas beds that would cause spontaneous fires to rise out of the rock and sea. Byzantine manuscripts refer to "the eternal fires of Baku". Later writings refer to eruptions of oil fountains and mountainous flames that could be seen from a distance of two days' journey.

In 2000, the Inner City of Baku with the Palace of the Shirvanshahs and the Maiden Tower was classified as a World Heritage Site. According to UNESCO, "The Walled City of Baku represents an outstanding and rare example of an historic urban ensemble and architecture with influence from Zoroastrian, Sassanian, Arabic, Persian, Shirvani, Ottoman and Russian cultures."
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Sounds like a great property, but I donīt think I will ever go to Azerbaijan due to the political environment.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
At least we know the owner here!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
That's quite an ambitious undertaking for Azerbaijan.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
So Azerbaijan is in between trade route of Europe and Asia.. Which well known country is this near?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Random but I wonder if Fairmont has a hotel in a country with a lower GDP/capita. Azerbaijan: $9,500.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So Azerbaijan is in between trade route of Europe and Asia.. Which well known country is this near?
Azerbaijanīs major neighbors are Russia, Georgia and Iran, or to make a long story short, located in a region I wouldnīt want to travel to even if you sponsored me. (see my comment above)

The only target group for this property that comes to mind is people employed in the oil/gas industry and travelling there for business.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
The only target group for this property that comes to mind is people employed in the oil/gas industry and travelling there for business.
+1. Oil is booming in the region, and I am sure the developer is politically "hooked up." This will be the safe haven for all business travelers/media.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Sounds like a great property, but I donīt think I will ever go to Azerbaijan due to the political environment.
Hehe, I will. Probably next year or the year after. Just to say that I've been there! The neighboring country Georgia can be done without a visa for Canadian passport holders. Maybe I'll stay at the Fairmont and report back here.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Hehe, I will. Probably next year or the year after. Just to say that I've been there! The neighboring country Georgia can be done without a visa for Canadian passport holders. Maybe I'll stay at the Fairmont and report back here.
Iīm looking forward to that trip report! (thatīs of course assuming you will in fact return from your trip)
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Azerbaijanīs major neighbors are Russia, Georgia and Iran, or to make a long story short, located in a region I wouldnīt want to travel to even if you sponsored me. (see my comment above)

Didn't Georgia have a genocide happen there? Weird that they would put a Fairmont up there.. but I guess wherever there is business, there needs to be a hotel.^
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
http://abc.az/eng/news_22_02_2012_62619.html

Culture and Tourism Ministry of Azerbaijan reports that Chief manager of Fairmont Baku hotel Adrian Ellis has held a meeting with students of Azerbaijan Tourism Institute ( ATI).

"Fairmont Baku hotel will start receiving its first guest already in August 2012" A. Ellis said.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Architecture I can certainly learn to appreciate.

Hopefully, a few more Fairmonts in Hawaii over the forseeable future.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: Air Canada, BA Executive Club, Accor / Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Random but I wonder if Fairmont has a hotel in a country with a lower GDP/capita. Azerbaijan: $9,500.
The GDP for Kenya is just over $1,700 and Fairmont has 3 properties there, i.e. Fairmont The Norfolk in Nairobi, Fairmont Mount Kenya and the Fairmont Mara Safari.

Last edited by FA_COR_YYZ; Feb 23, 2012 at 8:22 am
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: Air Canada, BA Executive Club, Accor / Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott
Baku is booming

There has been a lot of activity in Baku recently.

Hilton and Kempinski have recently opened and a Four Seasons will open this summer.

The city is also bidding for the 2020 Olympics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.