Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

20% Bonus on Fairmont Gift Cards - Fri Nov 27 - 1 to 4 PM EST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20% Bonus on Fairmont Gift Cards - Fri Nov 27 - 1 to 4 PM EST

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Thumbs up 20% Bonus on Fairmont Gift Cards - Fri Nov 27 - 1 to 4 PM EST

Fairmont just announced on their Facebook page, the return of the 20% bonus promotion on gift cards.

The biggest shopping day of the year is almost here. As a special thank you to our social media fans, on Friday, November 27 (from 1 – 4pm EDT), purchase an electronic gift card and receive a bonus 20% e-gift card - free! It’s the perfect gift for the travel lover this holiday season. http://bit.ly/Fairmonte-giftcards
Unlike the last promo, it appears that the 20% bonus will be received in a single card, instead of the individual $50 bonus cards for every $250 purchased. That should make the front desk agents happier when we don't walk in with a stack of $50s to redeem!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Great to see this promotion return!^

So far this is the most important event in my calendar this week.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Hopefully the life experience certificate will return as well, it's even better for Canadian Fairmont with 100$ gift certs for 80$...
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Time to get rekt.

Thanks for this. Where's my CC again?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:23 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
What's the history of promo on gift cards been like? Anything higher on black friday or boxing day?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Is the promo for e-gift cards only? Can plastic gift cards be purchased at a 20% discount?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by jix
What's the history of promo on gift cards been like? Anything higher on black friday or boxing day?
This is pretty much what the norm is. And it's awesome.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Fairmont just announced on their Facebook page, the return of the 20% bonus promotion on gift cards.

Unlike the last promo, it appears that the 20% bonus will be received in a single card, instead of the individual $50 bonus cards for every $250 purchased. That should make the front desk agents happier when we don't walk in with a stack of $50s to redeem!
Apparently someone bought $50K of cards during the last promo, and the $50 bonus turned into quite the nightmare.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:48 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
This is pretty much what the norm is. And it's awesome.
Thanks. Is this once a year only?

I'm looking at a potential stay in September 2016 but not sure if I should lock into a deposit right now. Also still not sure which currency to buy in best.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
Thanks. Is this once a year only?

I'm looking at a potential stay in September 2016 but not sure if I should lock into a deposit right now. Also still not sure which currency to buy in best.
Over the past few years, they have a pattern of one at black Friday and another in the spring. Of course, as they say in the mutual fund business, "past performance may not be repeated".

As to which currency, my advice is to go with whatever your home currency is. The cards will convert at a very favourable rate when using them at international properties. You will get a better conversion rate on the gift cards than you would on your own credit card. See the post below on F/X rates.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...ange-rate.html

Last edited by CanadaDH; Nov 25, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Fairmont posted a clarification that is important to note. There is only one bonus per person. Therefore, be sure to make all of your purchases in one shopping cart transaction. The largest card that can be purchased is $2,000, and the largest shopping cart is $5,000. So, you can buy $5K in one transaction and get a 20% bonus card on that.

I guess I'll need to enlist some family help this time around to buy what I need!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelStar
Is the promo for e-gift cards only? Can plastic gift cards be purchased at a 20% discount?
Only e-gift cards for the promotion. However, they work the same way, so I've never had a problem with the electronic cards. If you really want a plastic card, you might be able to go to a Fairmont property and try to purchase a plastic card with your paper ones? I've never tried.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Over the past few years, they have a pattern of one at black Friday and another in the spring. Of course, as they say in the mutual fund business, "past performance may not be repeated".

As to which currency, my advice is to go with whatever your home currency is. The cards will convert at a very favourable rate when using them at international properties. You will get a better conversion rate on the gift cards than you would on your own credit card. See the post below on F/X rates.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...ange-rate.html
I have a no forex charge credit card (the marriott one) so the choice between CAD and USD is really a guess of how will the currency change in the future. Would probably buy some Life experience certificate (in CAD obviously) and some USD Fairmont gift card.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Good call , YUL! I too have credit cards without forex fees, so I would probably buy 'em in CAD to lock in this bargain forex rate of C$1 = 75 cents US a.k.a US$1 = $1.3333 CAD.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brendan
Good call , YUL! I too have credit cards without forex fees, so I would probably buy 'em in CAD to lock in this bargain forex rate of C$1 = 75 cents US a.k.a US$1 = $1.3333 CAD.
The current rate is only a bargain if it doesn't drop further. And, really, do any of us know which direction it's going to go? If we did, we'd be making millions just trading currencies all day long.

So you want to buy in CAD to lock in the current low rate, while Yul_voyageur is doing the opposite by locking in the conversion to USD. One of you will be right!

I would look at such a decision from the perspective of having certainty of what your forex rate will be now for a stay booked in the future, not that it will necessarily give you the best rate by buying now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.