Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Fairmont gift cards have a great exchange rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont gift cards have a great exchange rate

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1k AC SE
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
The FPC dining certs have a really crappy exchange rate. They use the hotel's posted cash exchange rate on the day. It's the gift cards that have the great rate.
FPC rates at Royal York this weekend were 1.30 a horrible exchange rate.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
I know this question has come up occasionally in other threads, so I wanted to post a data point. I stayed at Fairmont Le Montreux Palace this week and paid by Fairmont gift cards.

The rate used by the gift card terminal on Sep 3 when applying the cards was 1 CHF = 1.3738 CAD.

The live rate at the same time, obtained from xe.com, was 1 CHF = 1.3693 CAD.

Rates used by my Visa and Amex around the same time were all north of 1 CHF = 1.42 CAD.

From now on, for any of my international Fairmont stays, I plan to always pay with CAD Fairmont gift cards and not my Amex or Visa!

Goes to show what a ripoff AMEX is on FX. That's why I travel only with my Chase Amazon.ca visa. It's really amazing and I saved close to $1,000 in FX last year. Given that they are so great - you wonder why more people don't know.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Goes to show what a ripoff AMEX is on FX. That's why I travel only with my Chase Amazon.ca visa. It's really amazing and I saved close to $1,000 in FX last year. Given that they are so great - you wonder why more people don't know.
I've used the Chase Marriott Visa for a long time. No forex fee and a reward program I can use for travel!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:30 pm

I received a rate of 1.31 for both FPC dining certs (Feb 14) and my USD gift card (Feb 20). It was only 50USD so it's not a huge deal, but did I possibly get the wrong rate on the gift card?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Maybe this is not the place but I have both the Canadian Amex Gold and Platinum (no forex fee) and I've recently compared the two during my recent trip to Boston and found there are no differences.

I'm beginning to think this no forex fee is BS.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
Originally Posted by JCFans
Maybe this is not the place but I have both the Canadian Amex Gold and Platinum (no forex fee) and I've recently compared the two during my recent trip to Boston and found there are no differences.

The Canadian Amex Plat does have a 2.5% FTF.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by flyCsG
I received a rate of 1.31 for both FPC dining certs (Feb 14) and my USD gift card (Feb 20). It was only 50USD so it's not a huge deal, but did I possibly get the wrong rate on the gift card?
They clearly didn't redeem it properly. They're supposed to let the gift card terminal convert the gift card. At that rate, they clearly did not do that. Have you gone online to the fairmontgiftcard website to check the balance and transaction history of the card? For argument sake, say the gift card terminal rate was 1.40 and the hotel's posted rate was 1.31. If the hotel clerk didn't know what she was doing, and just took USD$50 x 1.31 = $65.55, and simply redeemed CAD$65.55 through the terminal, that would/should have redeemed at $65.55/1.4 = USD$46.82 from the USD$50card, meaning you may still have a balance of $3.18 still on the card to be used.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:14 am

They clearly didn't redeem it properly. They're supposed to let the gift card terminal convert the gift card. At that rate, they clearly did not do that. Have you gone online to the fairmontgiftcard website to check the balance and transaction history of the card? For argument sake, say the gift card terminal rate was 1.40 and the hotel's posted rate was 1.31. If the hotel clerk didn't know what she was doing, and just took USD$50 x 1.31 = $65.55, and simply redeemed CAD$65.55 through the terminal, that would/should have redeemed at $65.55/1.4 = USD$46.82 from the USD$50card, meaning you may still have a balance of $3.18 still on the card to be used.
Ha! Good catch! Just checked the card and I do have a 2.45USD balance ^
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
So a US Amex MR $500 Fairmont GC = $648.27 Canadian value today.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JCFans
As far as I know, there are only three Canadian credit cards without a foreign transaction fee - two from Chase and one from Rogers Bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.