Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Spitzer v FRHI (California class action settlement)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Got a letter today about a Class Action: Spitzer, et al. v FRHI Hotels & Resorts (Canada) Inc.

Settlement Information

All natural persons who: (1) during the period December 2, 2015 through November 28, 2016, inclusive, placed a call while physically located in California to one of Defendant's toll-free telephone numbers and spoke with a representative of Defendant; and (2) was either a California resident at the time such call was made or used a phone number with a California area code to place such call regardless of residency, may be entitled to money from a class action settlement. This settlement covers those calls.

A proposed $3,500,000 class action settlement has been reached in the lawsuit Spitzer. et al. v. FRHI Hotels & Resorts (Canada) Inc., San Bernardino County Superior Court Case No. CIVDS1712220. The lawsuit claims that FRHI Hotels & Resorts (Canada), Inc. ("FRHI" or "Defendant") violated California laws that prohibit the recording of telephone calls without notice to or consent of callers. FRHI was the entity responsible for answering calls to Fairmont Hotel and Resorts toll-free telephone numbers. Defendant has denied the claims. Nonetheless, Defendant and the Settlement Class Representatives have agreed to settle the dispute to avoid the uncertainty and costs of further litigation and a trial.
Brendan likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:13 pm

I got it too. I filled out the info. Maybe I'll get a check in a few years.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Talking

Originally Posted by nock
I got it too. I filled out the info. Maybe I'll get a check in a few years.
As a settlement they will give you lifetime FPC Platinum status
Arthurrs and Brendan like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:54 pm

*amends claim to be excluded from the class*
Brendan likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:33 pm

Got a letter saying I will get over $1200 in the settlement. How'd everyone else do?
Old May 29, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Wow. Is there anything that people won't try to sue for these days? Very sad what society has become.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:15 pm

I'm not too broken up about taking the money. Disregarding privacy laws isn't something I look kindly upon.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:41 pm

Just got a letter today, over 600. But I have to provide the W-9 form. Is this legit?
Old May 30, 2018, 9:47 pm

I looked into it too because of the W-9 requirement. Seems legit. You don't technically have to provide that form, but you may lose more in taxes.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver
Does anyone that received a letter know how many qualified calls they had? I haven't received a letter, trying to figure out how much each call was worth.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:18 pm

They estimated each call was worth $100.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:50 am

Parting Gift - Did anybody else receive a settlement? (California only)

Just received a multi-hundred dollar check today from Fairmont! (Actually, from the firm managing the settlement agreement)

I am not sure how the math worked with regards to the dollar figure, but apparently I made enough calls to Fairmont during the period of time in 2015 - 2016 to qualify.

Unfortunately (and I am sure unintentionally), Fairmont did not notify callers that their call may be recorded. Which is against the law in California...

So I filled out the paperwork when I received it, expecting nothing (or perhaps a few gift certificates perhaps).

Instead, a pleasant surprise in the mail today!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:32 am

See: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fair...er-v-frhi.html

Did you fill out the paperwork to get the check?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Sweet! Do you feel it made up for any injuries or inconvenience you suffered as a result?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver
Any other DP on checks received and location? Nothing yet in TX. (Former Bay Area resident.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.