Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The 13th Annual Chicago Seminars @The Holiday Inn - October 13-15, 2023: The Original

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 13th Annual Chicago Seminars @The Holiday Inn - October 13-15, 2023: The Original

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The more points of contact and alternate networking opportunities, the better.

I didn't even know what Discord was until it was mentioned in CommunityBuzz.
kokonutz and Mrp Alert like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 6:26 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer

The very, VERY best (and most secret) hacks and tips are on WhatsApp channels now, IME.
SPN Lifer and IAD_flyer like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 6:33 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by ChrisMoss7
Your effort is appreciated. And you are definitely not senile. Mark O. is not scheduled to speak at this event. The Miles to Memories podcast was with Shawn Coomer and Joe Cheung. Only Shawn is scheduled to speak.
Hey, don't move too quickly on assuming I am not senile. LOL 🤣
(I really did think I heard that on: Trip Cancelation Tips, Another Devaluation & Chicago Seminars Drama)
Most relevant, you got some nice coverage on the July 13th pod!
SPN Lifer and Mrp Alert like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Side note: pretty much every post in this thread is from a member of FlyerTalk > 10 years. The newbies have found the Facebook Group or chicagoseminars.org - there is still an audience here at the origin, but they are definitely maturing.
Ahem, you really want to go there?
Old Jul 19, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond . www.chicagosemianrs.org

At first glance, it would seem reasonable to agree that more opportunities is better. But there are real costs associated with multiple venues because meeting space is the largest expense of an event like this. The charities are going to lose out tremendously. As in thousands of dollars. Anyone from any event that says otherwise is misguided.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond . www.chicagosemianrs.org
Originally Posted by kokonutz
The very, VERY best (and most secret) hacks and tips are on WhatsApp channels now, IME.

Absolutely true. But us old-timers didn't start with WA. You didn't just add random numbers to your WA and build connections. You made those connections via FT, then FB. Most likely the best connections you have are from real-life interactions such DOs, then Seminars, then group events. That's where you get the WA connections.

What you say is absolutely true though. Just a different medium for different times.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Absolutely true. But us old-timers didn't start with WA. You didn't just add random numbers to your WA and build connections. You made those connections via FT, then FB. Most likely the best connections you have are from real-life interactions such DOs, then Seminars, then group events. That's where you get the WA connections.

What you say is absolutely true though. Just a different medium for different times.
The way younger folk build contacts — and do so further afield from the traditional nests and stomping grounds — is quite different now than it used to be when FT was young. The comfort level with building rapport with strangers remotely just works out differently for younger folk than before and thus sharing or not sharing “secrets” also works out differently than in those older days. If anything, sharing online and “secrets spilling” seems to be increasingly a product of online-only interactions.

A lot of very informative interactions — if interactions are even what they can be called — come via means that have little or nothing to do with real life in-person interactions that were the foundation of traditional network development and the fruit-bearing trees of such networks. We could probably take the rise in romantic coupling that begins with only online connections as a sign of the times about what also goes on with network formation and related or other information sharing: a greater likelihood of it not starting with “real life” in-person” interactions than used to be the case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisMoss7 (Post # 66)
[ U]s old-timers didn't start with WA [WhatsApp]. You didn't just add random numbers to your WA and build connections. You made those connections via FT, then FB. Most likely the best connections you have are from real-life interactions such DOs, then Seminars, then group events. That's where you get the WA connections.
I just joined WA in April 2023.

If anyone has any good WhatsApp channels or group chats worth joining (my profile lists my loyalty programs), please send me a private message (PM).
Old Jul 20, 2023, 9:18 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

But us old-timers didn't start with WA.
This old-timer on FlyerTalk did.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisMoss7 (Post # 66)
But us old-timers didn't start with WA.
Originally Posted by Canarsie (Post # 69)
A former FlyerTalker invented WhatsApp!

Thank you, jkb76 ​​​​​​! 🙏
houseontheprairie likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Past Participant Testimonial

Testimonial Image
Attached Images  
katstarr likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Speaker Dia Adams

Speaker Dia Adams (image below)
Attached Images  
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Speaker Spotlight JT Genter

Speaker Spotlight JT Genter Image
Attached Images  
Old Jul 27, 2023, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This daily synopsis of speaker highlights is an excellent introduction to the Seminar.
Mrp Alert likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

This daily synopsis of speaker highlights is an excellent introduction to the Seminar.
They will be weekly-ish going forward, but I was slacking. They also may be posted by other members of the team in case anyone is getting tired of my posts
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.