Search

The day of reckoning is coming [split off from other threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Raffles
Randy is winding down - read the interview he gave this week (forgot which blog).

I believe - please correct me if I'm wrong - that he's sold his office complex recently. Here is the listing for it from 2016: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1989...do-Springs-CO/
Is this what you're talking about: https://pointshogger.boardingarea.co...andy-petersen/ ? I haven't read it yet.

Edit: But it's from more than a week ago, technically at least.

Originally Posted by pointshogger.boardingarea.com
As most people probably know already, you have been very active in the miles and points world, so what else have you been working on that we can look forward to?

I’m about at the end of a marvelous period of my life, all with nothing less than the best of all jobs (I have it), the best of all travel experiences (I’ve been to over 100 countries and visited literally every airline / hotel company HQ in the world and the best network of fellow flyer friends all around the world. With the successes of FlyerTalk, BoardingArea, the Freddie Awards and now the global locations of InsideFlyer, while I have some other ideas it really is time for me to spend more time on my ranch high in the Colorado Rocky Mountains and slow down a bit. I like heading out on terra firma in my RV. I’m not really a cowboy but play the part of one in my real life! I started all of what I do in 1986 so it is common to say that many of the frequent flyers I exchange with these days were not even born when I started. That is one of the many very positive things about miles + points.
... and it does confirm what I suspected already.

About the office space, I don't know if it used to be partially leased out to other (unrelated) companies by him before, but it's got some company using it as an office address that wasn't there a handful of years ago IIRC.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 8, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

he would almost certainly work out moving his equity with IF partners, i guess IF might sell BA
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Inside Flyer is worthless, I think, based on discussions. Potentially I would take the UK arm for free, which would at least staunch those losses, in return for a revenue share.

BA is a good business but Ben, Gary and Greg - probably 70% of page views - would want either a massive cut of proceeds or a big payment to guarantee continued participation which would flatten the sale value.

Last edited by Raffles; Dec 9, 2018 at 8:05 am
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IF owns BA? unless 'coverage' was simplified
IIRC randy gave some equity in IF to 3 including gary

ben and greg could get some equity from randy
ben is still pretty young in terms of long term
there are reasons ($) ben was not acquired

basically IMHO many 'misunderstand' randy

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 10, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

which sums up a lot of pop media

yet they also have readers who fly paid F using them as one of their sources

and their (related) award booking service is booming

Originally Posted by gpapadop
"All it matters is conversions" - Blogger who sold way too early
who ?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 11, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There must be more to this... why would VFTW and OMAAT happen to pick on TPG at this point? Usually the titans avoided taking pot shots at each other the past 8-9 years. TPG did nearly everything right and is courted by the travel industry. The other two stuck with the BArea platform and prefer(ed) anonymity. All of them still made millions, but probably TPG earned the most.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Maybe TPG made an offer to Randy to buy BA. And Randy told the big boys in the platform. And now they are all pissed lol.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Some people believe a day of reckoning is coming.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Raffles
Some people believe a day of reckoning is coming.
When the bubble that has made (multiple!) people millions of dollars using information that can be obtained for free on this very website pops? I'm shocked, shocked I say!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Ben continues to call out the junk posts on TPG:
"Earlier today I saw a story with hacks for scoring free bottled water at hotels.....When I first saw the headline, I figured it would provide the one useful piece of advice when it comes to scoring free spring/filtered/bottled water at hotels, but it didn’t."

This is fascinating and there has to be a story why Ben and others are finally openly criticizing the garbage of The Points Guy. Perhaps the Bonvoy garbage was the straw that broke the camel's back.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Well....it is weird, considering how much $$ has gone from BA to TPG:

Mommy Points went all in.
OMAAT lost a writer...James I think?

The list of BA bloggers who write at TPG for the money is endless: Deals We Like, Pizza With Motion, Points With a Crew....add to the list, I am going to watch some ncaa basketball before I fall asleep
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Well....it is weird, considering how much $$ has gone from BA to TPG:

Mommy Points went all in.
OMAAT lost a writer...James I think?

The list of BA bloggers who write at TPG for the money is endless: Deals We Like, Pizza With Motion, Points With a Crew....add to the list, I am going to watch some ncaa basketball before I fall asleep
Wow, I had no idea so many people are writing for TPG. Very disappointed to see Ed and Dan writing for that sellout.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by zeer0
Wow, I had no idea so many people are writing for TPG. Very disappointed to see Ed and Dan writing for that sellout.
It's called capitalism, money talks!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
When the bubble that has made (multiple!) people millions of dollars using information that can be obtained for free on this very website pops? I'm shocked, shocked I say!
Nope, that is staying. What may/will/must happen is that the HOM/RanDecisions will soon cash out on the BArea pot of gold. Most probably all of the bloggers hosted by BArea can't do anything about it.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:39 am

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HOM/RanDecisions will soon cash out on the BArea pot of gold

I am surprised it has not happened...yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.