9th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 19 - 21, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Dates for 2018 event are: Oct 19-21, 2018

* Event Registration: URL https://chicagoseminars2018.eventbrite.com/ - lunch and daily snacks are included in registration (breakfast is NOT included in registration)
* Hotel registration is in post # 2 (Breakfast for 1 is included in room rate). The host hotel is not accepting reservations yet. They will once the event is live.
* A full list of the current speakers is in post #3
* Schedule of weekend events is in post #4.
* Current event sponsors in post #5 (and email provided if someone is interested in sponsoring)
* Some info re: charity raffle is in post #6.
* Request for volunteers is in post #7. (volunteers get thanks & handshake - and an apple).

The Elk Grove Village Holiday Inn (+1-847-437-6010) shuttle normally leaves the hotel on the hour and the airport (ORD) on the half hour. Domestic arrivals pick up at Door 2, international arrivals at Door 5E.
Print Wikipost

9th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 19 - 21, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by tc fly girl
The seminar has always focused on and welcomed the beginner but the real value of this seminar is to meet up with like-minded people and share ideas whether you're a beginner or a seasoned player. The speakers stimulate the mind and that spills over into the conversations that go on outside of the classroom. There are no taboos in those conversations.
Bingo! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in the bar, lobby, and hallways! Never underestimate personal connections in this hobby. Oh, and I always learn something new.
tc fly girl likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The seminar has always focused on and welcomed the beginner but the real value of this seminar is to meet up with like-minded people and share ideas whether you're a beginner or a seasoned player. The speakers stimulate the mind and that spills over into the conversations that go on outside of the classroom. There are no taboos in those conversations.

The seminar reminds me of the movie, Same Time Next Year.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:36 am

Howie, do you need volunteers or all set? The thread seems to be blank.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Just an added note to my Advance Mileage Run Techniques presentation.

I will be reviewing how we took an 8-year old girl from ZERO to Diamond Medallion in just one itinerary!

(Diamond Medallion is the Top Tier Elite for Delta Air Lines)

Her mom will be in attendance, I believe.

So, if you ever wondered if it's possible to get top status at anything, the story of Delta's 'Littlest Diamond' should convince you of the reality!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:43 pm

Hamilton

Anybody interested in catching Hamilton Friday night? There are still tickets available, and I'd sure like someone to carpool with to get downtown.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by tscateh
Anybody interested in catching Hamilton Friday night? There are still tickets available, and I'd sure like someone to carpool with to get downtown.
There are speakers until very late Friday. Oh, and the priceless bits in Shelby Campbells after speakers Friday night. I will respectfully pass on a play I can catch another time. :-)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta 2MM/Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Renes Points
There are speakers until very late Friday. Oh, and the priceless bits in Shelby Campbells after speakers Friday night. I will respectfully pass on a play I can catch another time. :-)
Rene, I don't see any mention of Shelby Campbell's in the event details. Is this a private event? Asking for a friend.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:23 am

I believe that's the Hotel bar. ;-)
Renes Points and kjbrant like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kjbrant
Rene, I don't see any mention of Shelby Campbell's in the event details. Is this a private event? Asking for a friend.
Shelby Campbell's is the bar within the Holiday Inn host hotel. Everyone just goes there after the Friday speakers.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Shelby Campbell's is the bar within the Holiday Inn host hotel. Everyone just goes there after the Friday speakers.
Some people just go there... ;-)
tc fly girl likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Some of us just go there after check in and don’t leave.
tc fly girl likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: EY Gold, AB Gold, AZ Gold, TK Gold, Hilton Dia, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kingrat
Looks like th same speakers doing the same talks...most likely will skip again.. when can we get some advanced talks.. so many subjects to cover and still we treat things taboo
There are new sessions (e.g. statusmatching and hotel programs).
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Yeah, it's me. The Charity Raffle Gal - hello, get your tickets here Getting some great prizes lined up - hotel stays in fab places, electronic devices, etc, etc. So save those pennies to buy a raffle ticket - or figure out which credit card you need to meet your spend on & put it on that :

If anyone has something they want to donate to the prize list, PM me & let me know (and don't forget to bring it w/ you!). If you want to help out on handing out tickets inbtwn sessions while I run the CC machine/lose my voice yelling get your tickets here, let me know. If you want to be one of my "Vannas" (American TV show) & distribute the prizes Sunday late morning late me know.

Look forward to seeing all of you in a month!

Cheers
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Anyone planning to visit downtown Chicago while attending the Chicago Seminars may want to check out the new Amazon Go store at 113 S. Franklin St. It's the first one outside of Seattle. Be sure to load the Amazon Go app before your visit.

Here is a story about the new store: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...917-story.html
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by PatMike
Bingo! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in the bar, lobby, and hallways! Never underestimate personal connections in this hobby. Oh, and I always learn something new.
I attended several years ago. I am fairly social, not shy, and but also respectful to conversations, i.e. I don't jump in and interrupt. I found, after several tries, that the groups holding informal conversations simply were not welcoming of newbies to the seminar, even though I had already completed at least two award F RTWs using information primarily found on FT, and generally had something to offer to the conversation. There was more bragging than anything - it was almost as if everyone was trying to out do the other.

Another case in point, speaking of 'taboo', there was an informal discussion re: 'trick it...etc.'; that group was definitely not sharing with folks they didn't know.

But I did find most of the formal seminars useful, and as the game changes, this event may be just as useful.

Last edited by lamphs; Sep 23, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.