Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frugal Travel Guy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
If readers click on the affiliate links in the article...they are just not responsible. Shame on them.

Oh, hi Ingy
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by fredc84
Man, FTG puts out some awful gouge. They have a new article saying the SPG card will earn 3 pts/$ after August (it will be 2 pts/$) so that it'll still be good for everyday spend. Wonder how many people will be satisfied with their 2/3 of an airline mile per $.
Even after someone pointed it out in comments there, they've not bothered to correct it.

Originally Posted by gpapadop
If readers click on the affiliate links in the article...they are just not responsible. Shame on them.

Oh, hi Ingy
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I haven't read this thread in a long while. I don't mind everyone having a conversation, but some of the above posters that I've meet disappoint me with all the constant badgering. Why don't you go to Omni?

#NotTakingSides
#HavePlayedTheGame

#NotAsActiveAsIwas5YearsAgo .

Editorial comment > #ImissTheGoodOldDays

We now return you to discussion of the Game.

dh
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Let's not forget that FTG has nothing to do with Rick that was FTG and the IB, who runs FT and the BBB (blog bashing board), that allows so many to grip about the blog FTG that got so many into the game... #JustSaying !
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Let's not forget that FTG has nothing to do with Rick that was FTG and the IB, who runs FT and the BBB (blog bashing board), that allows so many to grip about the blog FTG that got so many into the game... #JustSaying !
"Grip"

You just can't make it up
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Why is this site alive?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies and Gentlemen, dear Kids,
FT takes reports of faulty/shoddily written news items rather serious and depends on your feedback. FT news is not part of of the FTG website, but a separate entity. I have therefore split off the comments on FT News from the FTG thread in EM&PR and creted a new thread, which I will move into the feedback forum.

Feedback on Flyertalk News

Please continue the reports there, or PM @IBMeg directly if you see an error in the news articles.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
FTG officially kaput?

Looks like the last post was 3/23 so I guess the Frugal Travel Guy is no more? One of the earliest and most helpful blogs in the beginning, but obviously devolved into mostly brief, mostly shallow postings of the usual obvious information. But considering its beginnings, seems like it should deserve some notice instead of just a silent end. But travel goes on...
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Despite the FT News posts being split off into another thread, all of the bloggers that wrote for FTG also wrote for FT News (FT News also republished FTG pieces) Since the pandemic, it appears that all of the IB bloggers with the exception of Joe Cortez have gone silent.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 5:14 pm

the silence is deafening
Old Jul 20, 2020, 6:57 pm
Suspended

FTG should have been shut down long ago from a financial standpoint. If I recall, they no longer had many useful credit card affiliate deals, so I can't imagine what the ad revenue could have been over the past few years.

For FT News, Joe is now the interim news director/editor but interestingly is seeking new opportunities on LinkedIn (can't imagine what kind of plans Internet Brands would have after an interim stint for Joe, because it's probably not hiring everyone else back). From what I've heard from a freelance buddy, Internet Brands has made some major cuts due to COVID, but then again, that's the benefit of heavily staffing in a freelance model, being able to cut at any time without major HR & legal effort. Props to Joe for being able to land that role while everyone else got cut, though.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by IDM79
Looks like the last post was 3/23 so I guess the Frugal Travel Guy is no more? One of the earliest and most helpful blogs in the beginning, but obviously devolved into mostly brief, mostly shallow postings of the usual obvious information. But considering its beginnings, seems like it should deserve some notice instead of just a silent end. But travel goes on...
Rick in his heyday, was colorful and modest but not very knowledgeable. However, he is a shrewd businessman who made a lot of money from his hobbies. Just like Randy!
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Rick ingy sold too early...
gpapadop likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 9:30 pm

frugal travel guy

hello,

i'm not looking for opinions about this website at all, but i am wondering if anyone knows when frugaltravelguy.com will start posting again. their last post was in late march.

thanks,
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by r m a h
I'm not looking for opinions about this website at all, but I am wondering if anyone knows when frugaltravelguy.com will start posting again. their last post was in late March.,
Frugal Travel Guy
IBJoel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.