Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live and Lets Fly [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:26 pm

FWIW the law school I attended had concentrations and certificate programs. They're not majors, they don't appear on your degree, but they do open up some interesting career opportunities if you also had the grades to back it up. A concentration was informal, but basically meant you spent your 2L and 3L elective time mostly taking courses in that area. The only "proof" is your transcript and looking at what classes you took. The certificate meant you completed the formal requirements of the program, including doing a for-credit internship in the field, and while it wasn't attached to your degree it did appear on your transcript. That certificate meant something to the firms and government agencies specializing in that area, but didn't mean much at all to anyone else. Realistically though, those certificate programs were mostly helpful for people who weren't quite going to have the grades for a straight shot into big law, but otherwise did well in school and wanted to be competitive into some specific types of firms, agencies, and programs. I have no idea what the state of things is now - I had a concentration (but not a certificate), passed the bar (first try for each state I'm licensed in, just to clarify), practiced for a couple of years, really didn't enjoy it, and went back to building software. So I suppose I specialized in software engineering after all. But concentrations/certificates do exist, and they do mean something to some hiring committees - but mostly not.

It's kind of distasteful to point back to law school as the thing you have experience in. Most people I work with don't know that I have a degree/am licensed, because it has almost nothing at all to do with my work. I'm not going to point back to law school or what I was doing 10 years ago and attach it to something legally relevant at the office, that's what we have (real) lawyers for. In a way, it's a lot like writing software - it's a practiced discipline, you stay on top of it by doing it, and the practical skills rot quickly if not exercised.

Anyhow, for this guy's handbag dispute, it appears that while he specialized in contract law, he did not take a course in international business transactions.

Last edited by PWMTrav; Aug 29, 2022 at 5:36 pm
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Apartheid in virgin atlantic lounge…

Written by Matthew himself.....
https://liveandletsfly.com/apartheid...lantic-lounge/

Socially curious......
I fell for the clickbait title!,, Arghh!
The comments under that article make my point so not repeating here

EDIT: the title has been changed as there was backlash about the clickbait title

CREDIT CARD USERS ARE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS IN VIRGIN ATLANTIC LOUNGE…

Or in normal language:
Warning: No à la carte menu for NON-Virgin Atlantic passengers in VA-Lounge ........

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 17, 2022 at 3:45 pm
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The title of the blog piece is “ CREDIT CARD USERS ARE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS IN VIRGIN ATLANTIC LOUNGE”. The link to it is this: https://liveandletsfly.com/apartheid...lantic-lounge/ .

…. and while this wasn’t the case before a change in policy by the lounge operator at IAD, he is correct that it has indeed become the case with what now goes on with the VA lounge at IAD.

Waiting to see how fast they change the menu ordering link.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 18, 2022 at 12:04 am
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
By falling for it...you only ensure a higher page view count...which leads to more of the same.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
gpapadop : Yes indeed! I deserve a quick smacky-bottoms for that....
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Kyle at Live and Let's Fly posted a clickbait article about how the AA/BA reciprocal systemwide upgrades are worse for AA customers, but based on his own misinterpretation of the announcement and what is published. Even though it contradicts what was widely reported weeks ago by other outlets, and reported by JonNYC who knows a lot of internal AA developments, and a BA Gold telling him that he is wrong based on what was communicated to them, he doubles down.

So, not LALF just has an article up giving wildly incorrect information.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Guess who decided it was a good idea to take a trip to war-torn Ukraine to "see for myself how the Ukrainians are handling Russian aggression", and make reviews of car rental, hotels etc.

Bloggers really are a special kind of breed.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 9:54 am

Of all current affairs & more pressing events happening,
The Hyatt Regency Kyiv needs to improve Matthew's experience:
The hotel has both a high-quality manual coffee machine (put simply, the kind that makes good drinks) and an automatic push-button machine. I ordered a flat white the first day and noticed that the barista used the automatic machine (the same crappy machine that Air Canada uses in its Maple Leaf Lounges).

I asked him to use the other machine and he became very defensive, indignant really, and said, “What’s the difference? It’s the same coffee!”

Friend, the machine makes all the difference in the world. Oh yes, I am an unapologetic coffee snob. I explained to him that the automatic machine dispenses milk first, then adds espresso on top. The result is a horrible texture and taste. On the other hand, the manual machine can more fully extract the beans, and by adding the espresso first then the foamed milk, the texture is also much better.

True Globalist in word & sense & act & expectations * sigh
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:42 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Of all current affairs & more pressing events happening,
The Hyatt Regency Kyiv needs to improve Matthew's experience:
The hotel has both a high-quality manual coffee machine (put simply, the kind that makes good drinks) and an automatic push-button machine. I ordered a flat white the first day and noticed that the barista used the automatic machine (the same crappy machine that Air Canada uses in its Maple Leaf Lounges).

I asked him to use the other machine and he became very defensive, indignant really, and said, “What’s the difference? It’s the same coffee!”

Friend, the machine makes all the difference in the world. Oh yes, I am an unapologetic coffee snob. I explained to him that the automatic machine dispenses milk first, then adds espresso on top. The result is a horrible texture and taste. On the other hand, the manual machine can more fully extract the beans, and by adding the espresso first then the foamed milk, the texture is also much better.

True Globalist in word & sense & act & expectations * sigh
Cringe.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:51 am

On the one hand I think his Ukraine posts are very interesting. OTOH, I was thinking "Why is this guy doing this-he has a wife and two kids at home?"
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JetAway
On the one hand I think his Ukraine posts are very interesting. OTOH, I was thinking "Why is this guy doing this-he has a wife and two kids at home?"
Perhaps his import/export business brought him there.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 3:44 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Clicks
Markie, kokonutz and GUWonder like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I too found his Ukraine stuff interesting. Had he been to Ukraine before February 2022?

I wasn't asking myself what he is thinking when he has young kids and a wife at home, as things aren't always personally as risky across the board as perceived by the general public. But playing tourist to run up the travel blog business isn't my thing.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Perhaps his import/export business brought him there.
That would surprise me nowadays, at least from the export-from-Ukraine side.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like Live and Lets Fly, Matthew often posts selfies. He is very handsome if a little vacant looking.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hugolover
I like Live and Lets Fly, Matthew often posts selfies. He is very handsome if a little vacant looking.
If you are interested in handsome, vacant looking men, may I humbly suggest there are better websites for that...as to which that kind of attention and comment would be far less creepy
RetiredATLATC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.