Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

A blogger holds the power to sell dreams via creditcards [split off from TPG thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A blogger holds the power to sell dreams via creditcards [split off from TPG thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Just logged in to see my post become a thread!

As per my orginal post my perspective was actually in the scope of:
- a professional business has to abide to rules, ethics and law of a country
- consumer organisations usually investigate or asses if there are practices which caused complaints or are streching the limits of good conduct
- goverment / law enforcement acts and forces / fines / prohibits practices

It surprised me that all bloggers can easily write off any expenses as travel related, put guest bloggers on payroll for the occasional write up, evade taxes on gifts/comps, not being transparant about ownership / conglomo backing and travel in/out with out any alert of tax/customs/immigration authorities.

If in the Netherlands this would instantly be grounds for a bust by our "belastingdienst & douane and marchaussee " (national tax office, customs and border control) or even a review by "consumentenbond" (consumer welfare). We are even known for border patrol to hold travellers who didnt't pay their EU parking fines and must pay them on the spot if they wish to leave the EU or to publicly shame companies who have dubious policies / activities.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by HadesNL
It surprised me that all bloggers can easily write off any expenses as travel related, put guest bloggers on payroll for the occasional write up, evade taxes on gifts/comps, not being transparant about ownership / conglomo backing and travel in/out with out any alert of tax/customs/immigration authorities.
In the US, the IRS is rather relaxed about expenses, as they cannot be be written off 100% like in western Europe.

For example when I entertained customers in the US using my company credit card, the CC receipt was sufficient for entertainment below a certain limit. Here in Germany I have to get an invoice from the restaurant with my companies details on it and fill up a A4 page with all sorts of details, including filling a table showing which part was charged at 19% VAT and which at 9%
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by ingy
Unless one is an "angry" that is either full of jealousy and/or envy "Angries" can blame everyone for everything because they have no personal accountability. Its always somebody else's fault.

And as such, I'm pretty sure most "angries" have not achieved acceptable credit scores to be able to get these cards. It takes that personal accountability to get a 700+ score in the first place. Those 700+ scores don't just "happen" People earn them by taking care of their credit. The idea a blogger is responsible for intelligent, accountable individuals getting in trouble just doesn't hold water. Its job loss and divorce that cause the vast majority of credit defaults on personal cards. The same holds true for mortgages as well.
I'm angry too Rick. I'm angry that people with good credit, and people that know how to manage their finances, still get sucked in to the dreams that the bloggers (pimpers) dangle in front of us. Lots of people with marginal credit can and do qualify for credit cards. Those people would never think something bad could happen to them. Just read some of the tales of woe that are out there on the internet. Lots of people are stuck with various gift cards from MS. The travel bloggers are ultimately responsible for giving people the tools from their high perch, knowing all the while that the everyday guy/gal would have a problem down the road.

Guys like you were in the game early enough to provide a real service. That was in the days before pimping. Those were the good old informative days. Today, April 1, 2016, the travel bloggers are looking out for #1 (as Archie Bunker once said), and I'm (they're) #1.

The spinoff that Randy created (I miss him here), caused so much (unintentional) damage.

dh
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
What? What? You mean, you should not get 5 Alaska Airlines credit cards in one day? (MMS). Or does it mean that you run a "tool" on your website that is supposed to recommend to you one cash back credit card but instead recommends 7 travel rewards credit cards and then urges you to apply for all of them in one day (FTG). Or does it mean not having a CSP card means you are not worthy of anything at all (TPG). I could go on....and on.

When you are confronted with reality, you deflect with the "angries" and personal responsibility copouts. We know the drill...

Our hobby started a long tortuous descent into oblivion when the first blogger cashed his first commission check from credit cards.

Now please excuse me while I go get hit with a "Top credit card offer to get NOW, Hurry, LAST chance" all over the blogosphere.

We'll talk about this stuff over pizza soon

Never angry, just pissed off with the devaluations, shutdowns and relentless rampant pimping of weapons of mass destruction sold to people who probably end up getting really hurt because, you know, Americans are so good with their money, cough.

We whine but we never leave #addicts
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:40 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
What a said state of affairs we are in when some actually believe that

"personal accountability is a cop out"

My how perceptions of the world have changed. The hell with the miles and points game, devaluations, shutdowns, and oh God forbid, pimping of credit cards. We are left with:

"personal accountability is a cop out" ???????

That is the sad state of affairs
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

My how perceptions of the world have changed. The hell with the miles and points game, devaluations, shutdowns, and oh God forbid, pimping of credit cards. We are left with:

So angry!

I agree. It is sad that none of the bloggers are taking personal responsibility for how their actions are to blame for the Alaska Airlines devaluation.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
So angry!

I agree. It is sad that none of the bloggers are taking personal responsibility for how their actions are to blame for the Alaska Airlines devaluation.
I'm more concerned with the personal responsibility of the people taking out the credit cards and buying miles at various programs. Consumers always look to blame someone when their plan fails.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just like the cigarette company isn't responsible for people getting cancer. @:-)
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I'm more concerned with the personal responsibility of the people taking out the credit cards and buying miles at various programs. Consumers always look to blame someone when their plan fails.
Replace "consumers" with "everyone". In reality, it seems bloggers and airlines are trying to foist responsibility on consumers, and not accepting their own culpability in perpetuating unsustainable practices.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:32 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Just like the cigarette company isn't responsible for people getting cancer. @:-)

Don't smoke or quit if you are smoking. That is your choice and responsibility, not the cigarette companies.

This battle will go on for years and is not going away. For some it is always easier to blame somebody or something else for your woes and troubles. For others they can accept the consequences of their actions. It just depends on which group you are more comfortable in.

Dan , Good to hear from you. How's the grandpa business going?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dan , Good to hear from you. How's the grandpa business going?
^

I may even let him ride on BRT (Brooklyn Reality Tour) one of these days.
For those 1 or 2 of you that don't know, check out the Community forum for the current thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...11-2016-a.html

BRT has had Randy and Ingy ride with us over the years. And this year, TravelBloggerBuzz joins that elite group. Insert your own smiley face here.

Thanks for asking.

dh
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
This battle will go on for years and is not going away.
I disagree. It has already gone away for some as credit card companies limit churn to once a year and/or once a lifetime.

The points and miles game is constantly evolving, but right now the trend is a far smaller pool of miles with a far larger crowd trying to claim them.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich

People make mistakes. We are human after all.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Sorry you guys I was using the FGT "tool" and was so happy I can achieve my goals of getting not just one cash back credit card I asked for but SEVEN travel rewards credit cards! And get this....the "Tool" told me to get them all in ONE day. Of course it is my own irresponsibility to trust these nice folks who are so called experts (Avios anyone?) to advise me responsibly.

Breathe, breathe...

In other news, is this BRT gluten free I hope, right?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
I have no problem with "pimping credit cards." Just come right out and say you're trying to sell credit cards instead of pretending to be a travel expert to earn commission. [And, by "come out", I don't mean put some legalese in italic size 0.00000001 font at any point in the entry.]

Yeah, I know it will never happen, as making an honest living is much too difficult, and in addition, doesn't allow you to fly Cathay Pacific First Class and stay in Ritz Carlton locations for months on end for "free."

Originally Posted by HadesNL
Just logged in to see my post become a thread!

As per my orginal post my perspective was actually in the scope of:
- a professional business has to abide to rules, ethics and law of a country
- consumer organisations usually investigate or asses if there are practices which caused complaints or are streching the limits of good conduct
- goverment / law enforcement acts and forces / fines / prohibits practices

If in the Netherlands this would instantly be grounds for a bust by our "belastingdienst & douane and marchaussee " (national tax office, customs and border control) or even a review by "consumentenbond" (consumer welfare). We are even known for border patrol to hold travellers who didnt't pay their EU parking fines and must pay them on the spot if they wish to leave the EU or to publicly shame companies who have dubious policies / activities.
I'm pretty sure if the IRS did a deep investigation of all of these bloggers, most of them would be in deep trouble.

-LPDAL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.