Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its the media's fault

bloggers have learned how to go viral, who can blame them
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by LR2013
Should be titled, "My $60,000 Boondoggle for Publicity In Emirates First Class For $300" And the story is now featured in that rag the Daily Mail. At least he didn't call it The Hobby.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...tes-class.html
Well at least he said this in the article

He said: ‘If you can't pay off your bills fully every month, please don't do this game. 'The miles game is a very complicated one to learn. There is a lot of information out there about the miles game, so everyone needs to their research and make sure they are getting the right information."

BTW - if you read the comments in the DM article, they didn't quite believe him on everything

Cheers.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

The story is more viral now than Ben's article in Rolling Stone. He goes on to detail card churning and how he signed up for ~8+ Alaska Airlines credit cards in order to obtain the 200k miles needed.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:00 pm

I did the M$ to get miles and a bonus on two cards, but that's the extent of my churning. I didn't think one could acquire 8 Alaska Airlines cards. What this man did is way beyond what I could even imagine doing.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I did the M$ to get miles and a bonus on two cards, but that's the extent of my churning. I didn't think one could acquire 8 Alaska Airlines cards. What this man did is way beyond what I could even imagine doing.
MMS put out how he signed up for 5 in one day (this has since been shut down). The guy who wrote about this trip said he signed up for a card every 90 days. This would have been last year as the trip took place last March.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well at least he said this in the article

He said: ‘If you can't pay off your bills fully every month, please don't do this game. 'The miles game is a very complicated one to learn. There is a lot of information out there about the miles game, so everyone needs to their research and make sure they are getting the right information."

BTW - if you read the comments in the DM article, they didn't quite believe him on everything

Cheers.
It's sad that they refer to it as a game. They use up availability just because they can whereas the rest of us actually want to have a nice vacation.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by corpgator
It's sad that they refer to it as a game. They use up availability just because they can whereas the rest of us actually want to have a nice vacation.
So true.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
One thing that confused me was reading mrpickles & then seeing the guy in the article. We have a mrpickles on FT & that's not what he looks like/isn't where he lives. So now I'm confused.

Cheers.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
One thing that confused me was reading mrpickles & then seeing the guy in the article. We have a mrpickles on FT & that's not what he looks like/isn't where he lives. So now I'm confused.

Cheers.
MrPickles has a blog. I follow a handful of bloggers via social media. I first became aware of the story after seeing it on one of his social network feeds.

I probably could have made that clearer in the original post.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
MMS put out how he signed up for 5 in one day (this has since been shut down). The guy who wrote about this trip said he signed up for a card every 90 days. This would have been last year as the trip took place last March.
I spoke about my own experience taking it to a much larger scale at a DD seminar in June 2014 (One of 15 DD seminars that I've done so far).

Turns out MMS and RTC were both there and despite them explicitly agreeing not to discuss/write about what was discussed at the seminar, they wrote about their own experience with that (and told other bloggers about my experience) as well as other topics I covered there.
No surprise, things have gotten much much worse since then

Live and learn.

Last edited by ctownflyer; Nov 1, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

try NDAs?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
try NDAs?
As if I'm going to sue them in a case like this.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I spoke about my own experience taking it to a much larger scale at a DD seminar in June 2014 (One of 15 DD seminars that I've done so far).

Turns out MMS and RTC were both there and despite them explicitly agreeing not to write about what was discussed at the seminar, they wrote about their own experience with that (and told other bloggers about my experience) as well as other topics I covered there.
No surprise, things have gotten much much worse since then

Live and learn.
Man, that sucks. Actually I think that many "hobby" bloggers have no morals so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Sorry this happened to you. Maybe you can get some bouncers at the door to keep the "usual suspects" away
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Man, that sucks. Actually I think that many "hobby" bloggers have no morals so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Sorry this happened to you. Maybe you can get some bouncers at the door to keep the "usual suspects" away
Wouldn't have even known they were there if they didn't come over to me afterward and dined at the afterparty.

Can't say I'm surprised, but it's definitely a contributing factor for why I haven't done any US seminars this year after doing 14 the previous couple of years.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

unfortunately if keeping them out they would hire staff to do it

my point re NDAs was if possible to make it easy to win (MMS makes a fortune)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.