Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Now that I stopped following all bloggers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:14 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

... how am I supposed to get the latest news on all the changes in the airline and credit card industries without rummaging through all of FT boards? This is an honest question.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Either you do the work or you let someone else do the heavy lifting for you. That's what value-add is all about.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Besides there are some really good blogs out there.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Pick blogs that you like to get info, scan most of the content and read what interests you.
If you stop altogether how will we get your TRs?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:27 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Hah, new TR coming up in a month or two.

I just read the first five or so pages of OMaaT... really nothing new. I used to love that blog and all the TR in it, but recently since the Rolling Stone cover, there hasn't been a lot of solid reports.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Just visit the Boarding Area home page once or twice a day - rare you will miss anything if you do that (unless it involves a credit card which pays no commission).
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
Just visit the Boarding Area home page once or twice a day - rare you will miss anything if you do that (unless it involves a credit card which pays no commission).
The content scrolls by so quickly on the front page that odds are you'll miss entry checking only once or twice a day. Some of it is multiple people covering the same "news" but there is variety in there as well which often gets drowned out by the volume of "me, too" coverage on some topics. That is a major challenge with the strictly sequential approach to the viewport.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:22 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
The content scrolls by so quickly on the front page that odds are you'll miss entry checking only once or twice a day. Some of it is multiple people covering the same "news" but there is variety in there as well which often gets drowned out by the volume of "me, too" coverage on some topics. That is a major challenge with the strictly sequential approach to the viewport.
Is that part of the reason that some folks post so many posts a day, to stay on top of the BA home page?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by sbm12
To be honest I don't see that, but it may be because I am in the UK and the peak posting period is when I am in bed.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I've found scanning the main page of Boarding Area works as kind of a headline service. An award sale, a mistake fare, a new hotel perk, etc. is generally mentioned in several headlines on the BA main page. I can then come to FT and drill into the particular forum to get more details and experiences from multiple posters.

You can't expect to get everything. A couple of years ago, I scored a number of Marriott Courtyard nights at $21 each just outside of Washington, DC because I was having problems falling asleep and stumbled across the deal--which had apparently begun shortly after midnight when a mistake rate got posted and which was gone by about 4 a.m. in the morning when the mistake was discovered. Given that Marriott was running a stay three, get one free night promo, six nights, at about $150 total, got me two nights that I later used on a vacation.

That's been the exception for me as I've surely missed tons of short-term mistake rates that generally don't last more than a couple of hours. But, for the more normal topics where the deal or the perk is designed to last longer, scanning the headlines at BA and then coming to FT has worked well for me.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If you add Boarding Area to your Facebook you can see updates on their FB page, I've found that to be a helpful way to stay on top of news.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

I HATE boarding area, but I usually stop in once or twice a week just to skim the article TITLES, not the articles themselves. Usually I'll be able to tell immediately if there's some point/mile/credit news worthwhile.

Otherwise I scan my usual FT threads (once a day)
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

Twitter - follow accounts (blogger, industry, etc) and organize in lists - easy to scan and read what you want
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Note that the front page of BArea is reserved for the top dogs and some who happened to be picked to be headliner for a limited promotional period.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Is that part of the reason that some folks post so many posts a day, to stay on top of the BA home page?
Yes !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.