Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area installing malware [edited]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:18 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
It's just SO ODD.

I read lots of blogs and visit all kinds of sites.

The ONLY ONE(s) that have all this junk on them are the BA sites.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Yes, that's my experience as well. What makes BA such an outlier?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Yes, that's my experience as well. What makes BA such an outlier?
When you start a site, Google Adsense is the obvious thing to use.

After a while, you start getting contacted by lots of ad networks you've never heard of, all of whom claim they can pay more than Adsense because they have deals with x, y and z etc. You sign up with these people at your own risk ....
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:42 am

Location: USAir Chairman's Pref, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, etc...The Beach, NC USA
BoardingArea is taking money from a ...... adnetwork or they lost their domain to the same - Don't go back - shame is it should be blocked as a phishing domain - if you end up there semi-frozen - just Ctrl+Alt+Del and shut down you browser, and don't go back to their site - no more complicated than that - and you have no virus from their - just a pop-up controlling your browser session - Don't restore your session -
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
ugh. this has happened 3x during august trying to go to a boarding area blog, with the last 2 being annoying voice popups. ....... here i come.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:39 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
While I have ....... enabled, this morning Lucky's site was blocked by the virus program I use - Trend Micro. It made reference to a blacklisted URL ("college?????.com" - I didn't write it down).

A few minutes later I was able to load OMAAT without Trend reacting. Whatever adware BoardingArea was sending on that second attempt did not hit Trend's blacklist.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:38 am

BoardingArea has a serious problem with infected adware sites, and seems to be either unwilling or unable to do anything about it. It is also the only site I go to that seems to continuously suffer from this problem. At this stage I just don't want to bother with them anymore
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
BoardingArea has a serious problem with infected adware sites, and seems to be either unwilling or unable to do anything about it. It is also the only site I go to that seems to continuously suffer from this problem. At this stage I just don't want to bother with them anymore
Yeah, the malware seems to pop up pretty regularly (maybe 1 in 10 times?) that I go to a Boarding Area site. This has happened to me all summer. I'm assuming if I don't click on anything and just close the browser I'm OK, but what the heck? This doesn't happen to me on any other sites I visit. I would think it would be all hands on deck at BA to solve the problem. I mean, what could be worse for business than this?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Boarding Area installing malware [edited]

I now use the BlogLovin app on phone to read the blogs no problems with malware. It's my workaround and saved me time only reading a few blogs now
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Are the Boarding Area blogs still Toxic?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Very much so. I just got it for the first time, even with ....... installed. It's pretty disgusting that BA/the ad network aren't stopping this.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
yup! just got the fake BSOD one with voice enabled telling you your computer has been compromised...yet again

telling that OMaaT openly posted about this issue...in March. and it's only gotten worse. unfortunately FM is part of boarding area, otherwise i'd avoid altogether
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:40 am

Yep, they're still infected...

I also had a fake error screen pop up over the weekend on a computer running ....... Plus. Looks like a JavaScript injection of some sort.

The scammy ad I received said that my computer was infected with a virus and provided a 1-800 # to call... So I did... and so have a dozen or so friends. Our goal's been to waste their time as much as possible. So we'll call while cooking, folding laundry, or at work while I'm working on reports. We've been trying to stretch out the calls to at least 30+ minutes each time and so far we've been able to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.