Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Is Peter Greenberg responsible for the current Knee Defender mess?

Is Peter Greenberg responsible for the current Knee Defender mess?

Old Aug 29, 14, 6:38 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 14,394
Is Peter Greenberg responsible for the current Knee Defender mess?

Peter Greenberg wrote an article in June about the knee defender. A few weeks back, he Tweeted that article. Ever since then, we've been reading about knee defender in-flight problems.

Is Peter Greenberg responsible for the current flareup of issues?

Read this. http://petergreenberg.com/2014/06/06...e-coach-seats/

dh
dhammer53 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 14, 8:14 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: PDX
Programs: Alaska Airlines Milage Plan
Posts: 38
From what I have read, most airlines have banned the use of the knee defender. From a segment on the local news, they said that sales spiked after the incident where the plane was diverted. I doubt Peter Greenberg's article really contributed to it.
ScoobyScott is offline  
Old Aug 29, 14, 10:38 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Posts: 18,774
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Is Peter Greenberg responsible for the current flareup of issues?
I'd say the morons who use Knee Defender in violation of airline rules and the rights of other passengers are responsible for the current flareup of issues.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 14, 6:24 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 529
Is Peter Greenberg responsible for the current Knee Defender mess?

If most airlines ban it, then these people are wasting their money. The only person who's profiting from it is the guy who invented it. Of all these people who yell "no recline," I wonder how many of them have ever flown a 10+ hour flight across an ocean.
zigzagg900 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 14, 7:33 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 5,242
Originally Posted by zigzagg900 View Post
If Of all these people who yell "no recline," I wonder how many of them have ever flown a 10+ hour flight across an ocean.
I wonder if the people who use this device also recline their own seat during a long flight.
Badenoch is offline  
Old Aug 30, 14, 8:31 am
  #6  
HMO
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 950
In other thread a guy wrote he observed only 10% pax recline their seats.

I'm pretty sure I'm not taking the same flights than this guy.
HMO is offline  
Old Aug 30, 14, 9:13 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, Washington USA
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
I'd say the morons who use Knee Defender in violation of airline rules and the rights of other passengers are responsible for the current flareup of issues.
Yes, let's blame the people using Knee Defender and not blame the stupid crud that is the airline's ever greater quest to shove more and more seats closer and closer together so they can make those extra bucks.
weekilter is offline  
Old Aug 30, 14, 11:47 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,445
Originally Posted by weekilter View Post
Yes, let's blame the people using Knee Defender and not blame the stupid crud that is the airline's ever greater quest to shove more and more seats closer and closer together so they can make those extra bucks.
You are more than welcome to not fly on any airline in any service class who's terms of carriage you find unacceptable. But, if you DO choose to fly on such an airline in coach, you are accepting their terms of carriage, and need to observe them, because if your beef is with the airline, you have no business taking it out on the passenger seated in front of you, who is entitled to use the facility to recline their seat during the trip with the ticket that they have purchased.
lhgreengrd1 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 14, 3:59 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SEA
Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Posts: 1,283
In light of the fact that this device has been around for years, I did find it odd that there was so much media coverage about this. I've been reading and hearing about it everywhere including in the local press in China.

Slow news cycle?
Bear4Asian is offline  
Old Aug 31, 14, 7:17 am
  #10  
HMO
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 950
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian View Post
Slow news cycle?
Probably
HMO is offline  
Old Aug 31, 14, 9:13 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Posts: 18,774
Originally Posted by weekilter View Post
Yes, let's blame the people using Knee Defender and not blame the stupid crud that is the airline's ever greater quest to shove more and more seats closer and closer together so they can make those extra bucks.
So you object to airlines making as much money as possible as long as customers accept their terms. What alternative do you think the airlines ought to pursue instead? Do you believe they should voluntarily pull seatsets out of the planes, make everyone slightly more comfortable, and forego profit when history shows this to be bad business (TWA Comfort Class, AA MRTC, etc.)?

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1 View Post
You are more than welcome to not fly on any airline in any service class who's terms of carriage you find unacceptable. But, if you DO choose to fly on such an airline in coach, you are accepting their terms of carriage, and need to observe them, because if your beef is with the airline, you have no business taking it out on the passenger seated in front of you.
Exactly. Get mad at the public for not boycotting tight seats with bad pitch, but you can't get mad at the airline for not going against its own self-interest.

Sometimes I think an airline run by FTers wouldn't last a week in the real business world.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 14, 1:02 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 13,139
Originally Posted by zigzagg900 View Post
If most airlines ban it, then these people are wasting their money.
When this thing first came out a few years ago, several of the comments here were from folks who saw value not in preventing recline altogether, but in preventing sudden, quick recline which could bruise knees or damage laptops. If that's why you're using it, it still serves that purpose. When the pax or FA complain, you just take it off and are ready for the recline.
swag is offline  
Old Sep 1, 14, 6:30 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,142
Originally Posted by swag View Post
When this thing first came out a few years ago, several of the comments here were from folks who saw value not in preventing recline altogether, but in preventing sudden, quick recline which could bruise knees or damage laptops. If that's why you're using it, it still serves that purpose. When the pax or FA complain, you just take it off and are ready for the recline.
Maybe seatback reclining mechanisms need a warning beeper, like when heavy machinery go into reverse. Combine that with a mechanism designed so that it reclines at a steady, deliberate pace no matter how hard you push on it. That way someone has a fair chance to adjust knees, laptops, etc.
84fiero is offline  
Old Sep 1, 14, 8:02 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 대한민국 (South Korea) - ex-PVG (上海)
Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,995
A number of years ago, my son gave me a set of Knee Defenders (really great name!) because he knew I kept getting hit by the rude person in front of me (I have a leg injury). I, OTOH, even on 13+ hour flights - three to four times a year - do not recline because I do not want to affect the person behind me. I have chosen not to use the devices because I felt they were ALMOST as rude as the person reclining without warning. Maybe once out of a hundred times, I have had the passenger in front actually tell me they are getting ready to recline - this was appreciated. If people would just inform, there would be no problem, fewer injuries, and fewer broken laptops - and no need for Knee Defenders.
relangford is offline  
Old Sep 1, 14, 11:46 pm
  #15  
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Posts: 33,925
Since there is a forum for discussing other travel blogs, I will move this there.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
cblaisd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread