Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

[Renés]Delta Points: The "funny" little things you should know [DP discussion merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Renés]Delta Points: The "funny" little things you should know [DP discussion merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Guy named Chris now owns RenesPoints
He says he works for René:

Its seems William Shatner is not blocked from viewing their twitter feed

And it seems René calls Randy his boss and friend:

I am humbled that I can call him, not only boss, but a friend. Few on this big blue planet can say that.
https://renespoints.boardingarea.com...g-what-a-ride/
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Meanwhile, here, he says he's the new owner, Rene started a new blog called PointsLounge. Keep an eye out for that to see if he tries pitching it here.

Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Hmmm. elitemileagerun and renespoints are now open to all. I wonder what 8 years of delta blogging can be sold for nowadays. That June 30 post by rene must have been the last bye bye post, the very very subtle hint was a link to the about us section in the last paragraph.

Pointslounge is also owned operated and looks like it was started by Chris Carley.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't bring myself to look. Any value to the posts written since Rene's depature?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:36 am

Doubt it. How to meet you delta amex spend, last call for delta amex, one delta PR article, delta status match... but its been only two days....
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Why would one want to buy the image/name recognition associated with Rene? Is there literally anyone who still took him seriously?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
As with most points/miles blogs, their target audience is newcomers and the naive. Perhaps Chris saw this as an investment opportunity. Rene probably saw this as a quick way to make a buck, seeing how TPG did so well after being sold.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Perhaps we could all pitch in and buy Rene an apostrophe as a retirement gift!!!!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Why would one want to buy the image/name recognition associated with Rene? Is there literally anyone who still took him seriously?
I guess this sale is more evidence there's a sucker born every minute!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 84fiero
The entire points blog business model is evidence of that.
hockeystl, 84fiero and diburning like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by 84fiero
If you got your hands on a decent sized email list that would otherwise take a few years to build, there may be something in it. The site may rebrand overnight with a new look, and you get to start off with a decent ready made following. Saves you the painful first couple of years when you are effectively knocking out content for 'your friends and family'.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
If you got your hands on a decent sized email list that would otherwise take a few years to build, there may be something in it. The site may rebrand overnight with a new look, and you get to start off with a decent ready made following. Saves you the painful first couple of years when you are effectively knocking out content for 'your friends and family'.
As a general premise, sure...but we're talking about Delta-RenesPoints...he has probably blocked more people than he has following him...and the kind of followers he does have can't be very high value. Plus the stigma of being associated with the blog - even with a name change - can't be good mojo (and Rene apparently will still be contributing).
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:37 pm
Suspended

It's been a bit over a month and Chris seems to be churning out articles that seem to be run of the mill travel blog articles. No wars on Twitter have erupted from what I've seen. Maybe this was a good purchase for him?
kokonutz, 84fiero and diburning like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:36 am

Rene is back with a dramatic post:

*Sigh.* I am so sick of Delta, day by day, destroying the value of the Medallion program. They sell upgrades for a bottle of “2 buck chuck” on the one hand and do not follow the rules on the other. Why even bother with loyalty when things like the above can happen on a fare class that, per Delta.com, is NOT upgradeable. Why don’t we all just buy BASIC fares and look forward to 1st class upgrades I ask you?I thought about reaching out to Delta corporate folks on this event for a comment but I just did not have the stomach to read another canned PR response about some kind of “IT” issue that would be looked at i.e. nothing would really be done and we can simply expect more of this going forward.What do you think? Do these kinds of events matter to you? Does it change how you feel about chasing status with Delta Air Lines in 2020? – René
diburning likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
It must be tough living a life where everything is a catastrophe and everyone is against you! I kinda feel sorry for people like that.
jspira and diburning like this.

Last edited by 84fiero; Aug 27, 2019 at 7:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.