BoardingArea Re-design

Old Jul 1, 14, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

BoardingArea Re-design

What was BoardingArea thinking with the latest re-design? On my (higher than average resolution) monitor the logos are huge and and take up most of the viewable screen. I can't imagine what this clusterf would look like on a lower resolution monitor.
Old Jul 1, 14, 11:16 pm

Programs: SW CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, National EE, Hertz 5*
Wow...horrible, why would anyone want to look more like F2B?!?!
Old Jul 2, 14, 12:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its the new tablet enabled web... so you can pick things with your finger, hence the size. On my surface I only see two big tiles at first, when scrolling down I see more. AFAIK the top line placement used to be reserved for a few and occasionally handed to the second tier on a rotation. In the new concept that is probably changing. The 3rd and 4th tier blogs will probably never make it to the top of BA, hence the P2B concept?
Old Jul 2, 14, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Eeek. I have posted before on here that I admired the BA home page as a model of clarity and style. I am not convinced by the new look. That said, I accept that the growth of the blog roll would necessitate some change.
Old Jul 2, 14, 3:07 am

I quite like the Category feature at the top right allowing you to easily find European Blogs, Hotel Blogs, etc.
Old Jul 2, 14, 3:24 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Whoa just saw it (checked in response to this thread). Looks horrible - though not surprised since OMAT's new design that he put up last week was horrible too. Their (both BA and OMAT's) old homepage did look dated but I can't say this new one is an improvement in any way.
Old Jul 2, 14, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Euan View Post
I quite like the Category feature at the top right allowing you to easily find European Blogs, Hotel Blogs, etc.
That is less useful than you think, since (for eg) a lotmof US blogs do good Avios content.

Being able to filter by airline or hotel .... that would be cool. And easy - all bloggers agree to a standard set of tags and you can then create a BA profile which only shows posts which match those tags.
Old Jul 2, 14, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
That is less useful than you think, since (for eg) a lotmof US blogs do good Avios content.

Being able to filter by airline or hotel .... that would be cool. And easy - all bloggers agree to a standard set of tags and you can then create a BA profile which only shows posts which match those tags.
I agree it is somewhat limited and your suggestion of a standard set of tags would make it a far more user friendly experience and more useful.
Old Jul 2, 14, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Wow. It is awful, just awful. I haven't been there in ages as I only go to a few sites and go to them directly, bypassing BA. The bloggers who are in the B level will never get a chance.
Old Jul 2, 14, 7:38 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
It's pretty unusable on my iPhone. Not that I ever to to that landing page anyway.
Old Jul 2, 14, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Euan View Post
They should have ability to easily find/sort the blogs by:
Less than 100 readers
Less than 1000 readers
Never read
Blogger censors comments
Blogger doesn't censor comments
More than 50% recycled content from other BA blogs
Less than 50% recycled content from other BA blogs
Wrong and Misleading Advice - level 1
Wrong and Misleading Advice - level 2
No Wrong and Misleading Advice
Blogger takes comps
Blogger does not take comps
Current name of Delta focused blog
Old Jul 3, 14, 5:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Categories are better and easier than tags from a technical perspective and that is used in some of the filters but not all. And the current set is far from exhaustive. More things like that are already in the works and coming soon(ish).

I, too, dislike the massive icons "above the fold" and think there are some changes which could improve readability of the site. On the plus side, however, there are more stories on the front page now which I think is good and I believe the content on the front page is easier to read than before.
Originally Posted by cruisr View Post
The bloggers who are in the B level will never get a chance.
I'm not sure it is all that much worse than before in this context, sadly.

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 3, 14 at 5:24 am
Old Jul 3, 14, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
The new BA has a front page!?

All I can see is a piece of a logo of one of the featured blogs.

If the redesign is meant to accommodate mobile devices it's a massive fail on my iPhone.

VFTW is soliciting input on a potential redesign. I'd link but I'm on my iPhone on Playa Blanca in Punta Cana, making it a pain. Anyway, my advice was: if it ain't broke don't fix it. I just don't understand the desire to change things when all it does is make them worse. FT looks basically exactly the same as it did in 1998 and it's still the premier source of points and miles info on the planet.
Old Jul 3, 14, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
If the redesign is meant to accommodate mobile devices it's a massive fail on my iPhone.
What iOS are you running? I just looked at it on a 4s running iOS 7 and it is decent enough. One story at a time and easy to scroll through in portrait mode; less good in landscape. If you look at is as more of a RSS reader app than a website it makes decent sense on that platform.
Old Jul 3, 14, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
What iOS are you running? I just looked at it on a 4s running iOS 7 and it is decent enough. One story at a time and easy to scroll through in portrait mode; less good in landscape. If you look at is as more of a RSS reader app than a website it makes decent sense on that platform.
I only ever use the iPhone to read stuff in landscape. Maybe that's the issue.

Search this Thread