Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
As if BA wasn't painfully awkward and unfunny as it is, there is a new blog attempting to be the travel version of The Onion:

http://Thetakeoffnap.com
To be fair, more creative than 95% of the content Randy Petersen sells/endorses.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
As if BA wasn't painfully awkward and unfunny as it is, there is a new blog attempting to be the travel version of The Onion:

I thought I was the only one asking myself "Is it still April 1st" ? Total waste of space in my feed.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
To be fair, more creative than 95% of the content Randy Petersen sells/endorses.
In the past 2 years it's hard to argue that the content has been junk. Pretty much all of the content has been nothing but credit card shilling and covid click baiting.

It'll be nice when bloggers actually start blogging about.... actual travel!
Old Apr 29, 2022, 8:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by hockeystl
In the past 2 years it's hard to argue that the content has been junk. Pretty much all of the content has been nothing but credit card shilling and covid click baiting.

It'll be nice when bloggers actually start blogging about.... actual travel!
BArea probably has a decent pageview and click thru rate thanks to OMAAT and VFTW. Curiously, although BArea features them prominently, both have removed any reference to BArea from their websites.
Old May 1, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by hockeystl
I thought I was the only one asking myself "Is it still April 1st" ? Total waste of space in my feed.
It's 2022, and it's finally happened. I'm done with BA. Rene couldn't do it, the Mormon minivan family posting about South Dakota HIXs couldn't do it, hell, a blog written by a stuffed monkey couldn't do it. But this fecal souffle of a blog made me throw in the towel for good.
hockeystl and antonius66 like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

While the concept is good, the execution is pretty cringeworthy and falls flat. Though I suppose I'll take that over "Paddle Your Own Kanoo", which has to be the most tabloidesque blog on there - and that's saying something.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Don’t underestimate Paddle - what you may miss, if not UK focused, is that they have a lot of genuinely exclusive news due to cabin crew leaks.
Old May 5, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Here's some random pedantry. This is meant to be a light hearted comment on how BA blogs are some of the worst named out there:

1. One Mile At A Time - Seems horribly inefficient
2. View From The Wing - Sounds like I'm not getting advice from someone sitting up front
3. Point Me To The Plane - Why should I take the advice of someone who can't find their own plane?
GUWonder and 84fiero like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Raffles
Don’t underestimate Paddle - what you may miss, if not UK focused, is that they have a lot of genuinely exclusive news due to cabin crew leaks.
Yes, but it's pretty poor as a miles/points resource. But it probably works out well for BoardingArea/Randy even without being valuable for miles/points purposes, especially as there are a lot of airline employees out there that are a market/product too.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
I'll pass if it means wading through the vapid sensationalism. Besides, if it ends up being important to a miles/points enthusiast frequent flyer, then one of the blogs I do follow will pick up the story in short order.

Originally Posted by diburning
Here's some random pedantry. This is meant to be a light hearted comment on how BA blogs are some of the worst named out there:

1. One Mile At A Time - Seems horribly inefficient
2. View From The Wing - Sounds like I'm not getting advice from someone sitting up front
3. Point Me To The Plane - Why should I take the advice of someone who can't find their own plane?
View From the Wing has always made me picture the gremlins out on the wings in that Twilight Zone episode! Though I suppose those gremlins have racked up a lot of miles so they probably have some good advice.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, but it's pretty poor as a miles/points resource. But it probably works out well for BoardingArea/Randy even without being valuable for miles/points purposes, especially as there are a lot of airline employees out there that are a market/product too.
I’m good with the variety that Paddle brings to BA. It helps break up what can otherwise be a sea of fifty near identical posts on the Venture X card from other bloggers hoping to get their commission on that one.
Old May 6, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
It's 2022, and it's finally happened. I'm done with BA. Rene couldn't do it, the Mormon minivan family posting about South Dakota HIXs couldn't do it, hell, a blog written by a stuffed monkey couldn't do it. But this fecal souffle of a blog made me throw in the towel for good.
I am a longtime BA reader and have the same sentiments about that blog being the last straw. It's not due to dislike of the author or the content they make, maybe it's something about the satire being mixed in with the "journalism" and not caring enough to apply the extra brainpower to mentally filter between the two on the homepage.

Anyway, I created this quick-and-dirty-works-for-me filter on uBlock Origin (under Settings -> My Filters) and I now am back to reading on my desktop.

Code:
boardingarea.com##div.excerpt:has-text(/The Takeoff Nap/)
boardingarea.com##div.featured:has-text(/The Takeoff Nap/)

Last edited by SpeedyDelivery; May 6, 2022 at 9:36 am Reason: code fix
Old May 26, 2022, 9:40 am

Glad to hear I am not the only one who HATES that idiotic collection of moronic stupidity The Takeoff Nap. Of all the trash on BA (and there is a lot), that is hands down the dumbest most inane bunch of garbage...it is bad enough flipping through the site looking for the occasional worthwhile read, to have to have one more refuse dump taking up space with its idiotic insanely unfunny nonsense. I even emailed the BA crew just to express my thoughts .
hockeystl, lhrsfo, 84fiero and 1 others like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by SpeedyDelivery
I am a longtime BA reader and have the same sentiments about that blog being the last straw. It's not due to dislike of the author or the content they make, maybe it's something about the satire being mixed in with the "journalism" and not caring enough to apply the extra brainpower to mentally filter between the two on the homepage.

Anyway, I created this quick-and-dirty-works-for-me filter on uBlock Origin (under Settings -> My Filters) and I now am back to reading on my desktop.

Code:
boardingarea.com##div.excerpt:has-text(/The Takeoff Nap/)
boardingarea.com##div.featured:has-text(/The Takeoff Nap/)
Oh god I love you so much. This is like Christmas. Worked for AdGuard as well. I wish there was a way to spread this.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by antonius66
Glad to hear I am not the only one who HATES that idiotic collection of moronic stupidity The Takeoff Nap. Of all the trash on BA (and there is a lot), that is hands down the dumbest most inane bunch of garbage...it is bad enough flipping through the site looking for the occasional worthwhile read, to have to have one more refuse dump taking up space with its idiotic insanely unfunny nonsense. I even emailed the BA crew just to express my thoughts .
Yesterday's Hertz post didn't fail to disappoint. I'll fire off an email as well. What address do you recommend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.