Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Can't say I blame him. He has a HUGE leg up on everyone else in that department (cough MMS...) and I'm talking males and females. It just seems that BA attracts the unattractive
Now now, let's not be unkind.

I do find it interesting, however, that upgrd.com has photos of each blogger prominent on their page, while at boardingarea you have to dig deep to get a look at the blogger...if there is a photo at all. I wonder if there is a requirement to be photogenic to be a upgrd blogger.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Now now, let's not be unkind.

I do find it interesting, however, that upgrd.com has photos of each blogger prominent on their page, while at boardingarea you have to dig deep to get a look at the blogger...if there is a photo at all. I wonder if there is a requirement to be photogenic to be a upgrd blogger.
Images (of a sort) of most everyone at BA: http://boardingarea.com/our-bloggers/.

A stylistic choice to do that rather than photos. Can't say I care at all.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Images (of a sort) of most everyone at BA: http://boardingarea.com/our-bloggers/.

A stylistic choice to do that rather than photos. Can't say I care at all.
Eek! Lots of snowmen blogging there!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:11 am
Original Member

I wonder if there is a requirement to be photogenic to be a upgrd blogger.
haha no, I just always felt blogging should be more personal. I've always asked all the bloggers to have a photo, if they are comfortable with it, so their readers know who they are if they meet at an event sometime.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Eek! Lots of snowmen blogging there!
Out of ~60 bloggers, I see perhaps one black person, two asian, and are there any latinos that blog?

Hard to believe this is representative of the mile collecting community.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by stackm
Out of ~60 bloggers, I see perhaps one black person, two asian, and are there any latinos that blog?

Do you mean that I am implying by the snowmen comment that there is a lack of racial diversity!?

Lol, these are the snowmen I was referring to:

They remind me of the evil snowmen from that Dr. Who episode for some reason.

Maybe they all have black or Asian heritage?

Originally Posted by mcc235
haha no, I just always felt blogging should be more personal. I've always asked all the bloggers to have a photo, if they are comfortable with it, so their readers know who they are if they meet at an event sometime.
I actually agree. It personalizes the blog right off the bat.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by stackm

So if they add some minorities that also pimp the same affiliate links, parrot the same "amazing deal alerts", and censor negative comments...that would make it better?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx

Second "poop" story in two weeks...

BoardingArea.... Required reading for Frequent Flyers
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Astrophsx

Second "poop" story in two weeks...

BoardingArea.... Required reading for Frequent Flyers
OMG, BA is really in the toilet.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Noticed this week that BA.de, the German version of BA, soft launched. Oh boy, does that read like crap. YHBU is basically google translate of English with some sections so wrongly translated you really doubt the author knows the language. Then we have VF360° with 3-4 writers. Basically the usual regurgitation of current buzz (with no HT at all) but it is evident that writing is none of the writers real strength.

The rest of the space is filled with LHflyers blogposts in English. Nice.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Noticed this week that BA.de, the German version of BA, soft launched. Oh boy, does that read like crap. YHBU is basically google translate of English with some sections so wrongly translated you really doubt the author knows the language. Then we have VF360° with 3-4 writers. Basically the usual regurgitation of current buzz (with no HT at all) but it is evident that writing is none of the writers real strength.

Very interesting! Though the big question is, do they also have the two recent poop stories in German? That would make it all worthwhile!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002

Was that part of the 'nodes launch tour' that Randy and Tommy were hopping around Europe on last week? Or was that just the multi-language IBBs?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Ok, Oliver2002, you made me laugh. The German writing sucks? The writing in English on Boarding Area is almost universally horrible, ungrammatical and (sometimes) even incoherent and, no, I don't just mean that certain Atlanta-centric blog. Sentences run on, they don't use periods. Non-sentence sentences. What's this possessive thing with gerunds, and what's a gerund anyway? I try to look past it all for the occasional nugget.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Ok, Oliver2002, you made me laugh. The German writing sucks? The writing in English on Boarding Area is almost universally horrible, ungrammatical and (sometimes) even incoherent and, no, I don't just mean that certain Atlanta-centric blog. Sentences run on, they don't use periods. Non-sentence sentences. What's this possessive thing with gerunds, and what's a gerund anyway? I try to look past it all for the occasional nugget.
As a language pedant of just about the highest order, I must defend myself from this "almost universal" accusation.

I'm not going to comment on other blogs, but I can assure you that the utmost attention is paid to the quality of the (English) English on my particular patch.

By all means come and have a look . I may have limited appeal to the Americans out there, but I do aim to give a coherent and irritation-free read. I also promise to keep stories about faeces to an absolute minimum.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:34 pm

I think there has to be some kind of new record. There is currently a blogger who for the past month and half has used one international trip to supply ~ 90% of their content for the last 45 days or so (including today).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.