Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jumping the shark?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
My guess is that he considered paying for the Residences ticket himself. He could write it off as a business expense. And it would definitely generate a lot of attention for his brand. But then it would appear that if he could just blow $20k, it would lead to the inevitable discussion and criticism of just how much he makes. (Or the accusations that his parents self-fund.... a claim I find absurd.)

And if he didn't pull the trigger quickly, somebody else would. And in this game, there's no value in being #2.

So he was between a rock (fund it himself), a hard place (Kickstart it), and a gaping hole on his A380 checklist!
He wasn't the first to review any of the A380 first class cabins he's been on. Not sure why it would matter that he wasn't the first one of review Etihad's.
Old May 10, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cruisr
Don't know how it is now but he did previously state that his parents had bank rolled his travels.
Link?
Old May 10, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lazard
He wasn't the first to review any of the A380 first class cabins he's been on. Not sure why it would matter that he wasn't the first one of review Etihad's.
My point was more about not wanting to be the second to do a Kickstarter campaign to fund it. I can only imagine there's a few bloggers out there would have gone for it.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:16 pm

My point was more about not wanting to be the second to do a Kickstarter campaign to fund it. I can only imagine there's a few bloggers out there would have gone for it.
Kickstarter has been around for 5 years. If a blogger was gonna do it, they would have done it already. Plus, I would think other bloggers would value their dignity more.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:37 am
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Kickstarter has been around for 5 years. If a blogger was gonna do it, they would have done it already. Plus, I would think other bloggers would value their dignity more.
My point exactly in starting this thread.
Old May 11, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Link?
He said it at an FTU years ago.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I actually think quite a few others have similarly low dignity valuation levels they just hadn't thought of it yet!

Originally Posted by cruisr
He said it at an FTU years ago.
I remember him making some vague comments once along those lines. For what it's worth, I think the only discussion on his blog was this from last year, couple of years after he graduated college I believe:

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...-the-airlines/

...One such assumption is that I’m a trust fund baby and my family pays for all my travel. I don’t think it’s fair to my family to bring their financial situation into this, but let me simply say that assumption couldn’t be further from the truth. While I’m fortunate to have parents that are extremely supportive of my job/hobby, they’ve never been in a situation to fly me around the world in first class, and certainly don’t fund my travels. I’ve been supporting myself since I was 18, was fortunate not to have to pay a dime to attend college (which, in retrospect, is probably what I valued the entire experience at), and do probably spend a disproportionate amount of my income on travel...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.