Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
TPG Maximizer

The Points Guy just announced this today on his blog:

TPG Maximizer
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Wow... Call me old fashioned, but I'm not interested in giving TPG all my bank info for the pleasure of him papering me with referral links.

So this doesn't really interest me at all.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I see it's "powered by" a company called Wallaby.

https://walla.by/

Which, in addition to performing the fantasmagorical credit-card analysis, also is beta testing a "cloud wallet" card (click on the "card" link at the top of their page).

Color me disinterested in signing up for TPG's/Wallaby's service. I'd be skeptical of the resulting recommendations being anything special.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by freeloader
Wow... Call me old fashioned, but I'm not interested in giving TPG all my bank info for the pleasure of him papering me with referral links.
Because of the service/privacy trade or because it is TPG?

It is a white-label of another vendor's service. Happens all the time in a variety of industries.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I see it's "powered by" a company called Wallaby.

https://walla.by/

Which, in addition to performing the fantasmagorical credit-card analysis, also is beta testing a "cloud wallet" card (click on the "card" link at the top of their page).

Color me disinterested in signing up for TPG's/Wallaby's service. I'd be skeptical of the resulting recommendations being anything special.
Big claims on what they think they can accomplish. I believe they can do the analysis on which card is best in any given scenario (they already do and the decision tree isn't all that hard to build and maintain). The other stuff is less clear.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:00 pm

While searching for a way to close/delete my Maximizer account, I saw a "TPG To Go" app mentioned in the T&Cs. I wonder what that is.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:41 pm

At this time we are linking directly with the credit card companies to provide this tool so the recommender will not always show the best offers on the market since many are not officially advertised. I’m working to get all top offers included in Maximizer, but in the meantime I would recommend that you still check out our Top Deals page. Ideally I would like to offer more lucrative targeted offers through The TPG Maximizer so stay tuned while we continue to make enhancements.
At least he admits that the offers you're getting are only affiliate links, and are probably inferior.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:49 pm

Didn't millionmilesecrets have something similar to this?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
What is the point in only promoting cards that pay commission? People will avoid the tool and it gets no credibility.

Since the bulk of the best deals DO pay commission, it would do minimal damage to throw in those that do not. The fee lost sales should be offset by increased credibility.

My site coves every UK travel card. I only earn referral points on about 20 per cent of them but they cover about 80 per cent of applications. The qudos my site gets from being the definitive UK information source for travel cards far outweighs any potential income loss from promoting cards that make me nothing.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Because of the service/privacy trade or because it is TPG?

It is a white-label of another vendor's service. Happens all the time in a variety of industries.
More because I don't need to share the in's and out's of finances with TPG so that he can send me CC referrals that are, as he admitted, sometimes less then the best offer available.

Its not really a security thing, but as described I fail to see an value of the service
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
What is the point in only promoting cards that pay commission? People will avoid the tool and it gets no credibility.
Sadly many are ignorant of the split there and won't notice.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I read about Wallaby in some other forum on FT. I tried to download to see what it was about, and it's only for IOS 7. I'm on IOS6.

It does sound interesting, but I don't know if I would give it access to all my financial data. But I guess this is the next step in making FT the premier place to go to find out how to travel for (near) free. Particularly since, IMHO, we're seeing the beginning of the end of the M&P game.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I read about Wallaby in some other forum on FT. I tried to download to see what it was about, and it's only for IOS 7. I'm on IOS6.

It does sound interesting, but I don't know if I would give it access to all my financial data. But I guess this is the next step in making FT the premier place to go to find out how to travel for (near) free. Particularly since, IMHO, we're seeing the beginning of the end of the M&P game.
You should upgrade to iOS 7

I tried the Wallaby app and it's pretty cool. There is an option to connect your bank accounts like Mint but it's not necessary. You just need to tell them what type of card you have (ie Chase Freedom, SPG, etc).
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I can't My iPod Touch is 2.5 years old, and though working just fine, is apparently old technology

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.