Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Why would one sell the Chase Bonvoy CC if the programme is terrible?

https://twitter.com/OneMileataTime/s...01619628158976
Even with its problems, 100k is a pretty luscious signup bonus.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Even with its problems, 100k is a pretty luscious signup bonus.
AKA, 33.3K, which is about where the SPG signup bonus always was.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by josephstern
AKA, 33.3K, which is about where the SPG signup bonus always was.
Always?!?
Old May 9, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Always?!?
Often?
Old May 9, 2019, 1:53 pm

BTW it says the only 'may' receive a commission, not that they will *cough*.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by josephstern
Often?
I mean it was an LTO once or twice per year, but that's hardly always or often.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flashware
BTW it says the only 'may' receive a commission, not that they will *cough*.
That opaque language alas is what all of the shilling blogs use, making the consumer have to somehow guess for himself if the content in a given post is unbiased editorial content, native advertising, or the ethically challenged middle that most of their posts are.
84fiero likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
That opaque language alas is what all of the shilling blogs use, making the consumer have to somehow guess for himself if the content in a given post is unbiased editorial content, native advertising, or the ethically challenged middle that most of their posts are.
At the LAX FTU, after a presentation by said bloggers, I asked the couple next to me if they knew how they made money. They said, of course, advertising. I said they make money on selling the credit cards they kept raving about. They seem a bit surprised. I then asked them to guess how much they made per each card. They said that they didn't know. I told them to just guess. They said, please sit down, $5 bucks per card.

Was talking to an old timer the other day and we both were kind of nostalgic about the past glory days. It went like this...

Remember when we did apporamas and applied for seven cards at a time. Now we are lucky to get seven per year.

These businesses need to pound the newbies...and keep finding more of them!
84fiero likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
What you need, gpapadop, is a change in US law to match UK law, so that only someone who is licensed to offer financial advice via the passing of many exams may write about credit cards.

The only bloggers left standing then would be you and TPG :-)
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.

Last edited by Raffles; May 10, 2019 at 3:08 am
Old May 10, 2019, 1:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Raffles
What you need, gpapadop, is a change in US law to match UK law, so that only someone who is licensed to offer financial advice via the passing of many exams may write about credit cards.

The only bloggers left standing then would be you and TPG :-)
Brian doesn't have such a qualification... he studied economics and did something in HR at Morgan Stanley. That said who prevents the Titans from quickly hiring a CFP to sign all credit card selling blog posts.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Brian doesn't have such a qualification... he studied economics and did something in HR at Morgan Stanley. That said who prevents the Titans from quickly hiring a CFP to sign all credit card selling blog posts.
Bankrate would (indeed, does in the UK) which is all that matters.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
Not happening....been trying to get the fiduciary standard to apply for decades and still can't...TPG is safe lol
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
In the US, there is almost one trillion USD that are outstanding at any given point in time. Almost half that (over 400 million) are revolving balances, meaning they are not being paid off, but accrue interest). These are the highest level of household credit card debt ever and Fobes reported on March 26 that half (!!!) of all Americans have maxed out their credit limits. I don't see how this ends well when the next recession comes around. And those numbers should concern the big banks and the TPGs pf this world.

Oh...and while economics are playing out the way they do, airlines are devaluing their award charts to the point where there is no longer a way to know for sure that applying for cards will even be a viable way to redeem for the aspirational awards in the first place...that should put pressure on airlines because I would expect consumers to move credit card spend almost entirely to bank issued credit cards earning a more flexible currency than miles from a single airline. AA loses money flying but makes money because they sell miles to Citi. This during (likely the tail end) one of the greatest bull markets of all time. What happens when the inevitable recession happens?

I have little pity for anyone in this chain of events. Not the airlines who announce they will never lose money again and hose their fliers at every turn, nor the consumers who overload on debt. At some point, someone is going to have to pay the piper...

And agreed with several. ANY financial advice, including credit card debt etc should be required to be provided by a licensed professional. Period.
rankourabu likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Remember when we did apporamas and applied for seven cards at a time. Now we are lucky to get seven per year.
I remember it wistfully! I was just looking at my spreadsheet last night (where I track all my CC apps, bonus dates, etc) that dates back to 2010. It's amazing the decrease in quantity of apps.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
In the US, there is almost one trillion USD that are outstanding at any given point in time. Almost half that (over 400 million) are revolving balances, meaning they are not being paid off, but accrue interest). These are the highest level of household credit card debt ever and Fobes reported on March 26 that half (!!!) of all Americans have maxed out their credit limits. I don't see how this ends well when the next recession comes around. And those numbers should concern the big banks and the TPGs pf this world.

Oh...and while economics are playing out the way they do, airlines are devaluing their award charts to the point where there is no longer a way to know for sure that applying for cards will even be a viable way to redeem for the aspirational awards in the first place...that should put pressure on airlines because I would expect consumers to move credit card spend almost entirely to bank issued credit cards earning a more flexible currency than miles from a single airline. AA loses money flying but makes money because they sell miles to Citi. This during (likely the tail end) one of the greatest bull markets of all time. What happens when the inevitable recession happens?

I have little pity for anyone in this chain of events. Not the airlines who announce they will never lose money again and hose their fliers at every turn, nor the consumers who overload on debt. At some point, someone is going to have to pay the piper...

And agreed with several. ANY financial advice, including credit card debt etc should be required to be provided by a licensed professional. Period.
Well said.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Oh...and while economics are playing out the way they do, airlines are devaluing their award charts to the point where there is no longer a way to know for sure that applying for cards will even be a viable way to redeem for the aspirational awards in the first place...that should put pressure on airlines because I would expect consumers to move credit card spend almost entirely to bank issued credit cards earning a more flexible currency than miles from a single airline.
Though keep in mind that the majority of people who collect frequent flyer miles actually don't care about long haul premium cabin redemptions; they're just trying to come up with a few free domestic coach tickets to help defray the cost of a family trip to Disneyworld. And then they go online and do a few internet searches and get hooked in my those nice airline miles blogs that make it sound reasonable...
Adam1222 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.