Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:24 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The pace of content posting has been blistering. I predict he is prepping it for sale by the end of the year.

Full Disclosure: I have been wrong before in my predictions. Lol
kishoreajoshi likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I remain befuddled why you read the blog so carefully. But comment moderation and censorship are two very different things, and hyperbole doesn't lead to constructive conversation.

If the commenters were just leveling insults like accusing him of being "out of touch" and having "poor taste", good for him for deleting them. It's a big internet with plenty of room for people who just want to call other people names, no need for him to pay for them to do it on his site.
​​​​​​
Hey Ben, how are you doing?
Old Jun 20, 2023, 9:41 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Come on, that is stale,

Adam1222 is not Ben,
Especially if you take the courtesy to read Adam's blog versus Ben's blog.

That aside about comments,
I do see on OMAAT that "infamous" DCS is being spoofed by DeeCeeSSS and dcs.
John at LL has already started to curb such heckling, yet on OMAAT it starts to run amok.

Even Matthew from LALF has pointed out free speech in the comments is vital,
but stresses out that there are limits.
https://liveandletsfly.com/death-of-reader/
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:04 am

^Had no idea that happened. Could've done without Matthew's sermon (which makes me even less inclined to read his blog moving forward), but I admire him for having treated the deceased person equally.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Mudslinging in the comments leads to more page views and people come back to read the same blog post over and over. Censorship or switching comments off (TPG) is counterproductive to SEO etc.
Markie, kokonutz and GUWonder like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Mudslinging in the comments leads to more page views and people come back to read the same blog post over and over. Censorship or switching comments off (TPG) is counterproductive to SEO etc.
​​​​​​Ben is wealthy enough that he doesn't need to subject himself to the kinds of nasty name-calling that some people think he is required to allow in the name of "censorship." Many people are also turned off from participating in web discussions when such "mudslinging" is tolerated and goes unmoderated.

Sometimes, being a good human being is the right thing to do even if it leads to less clicks.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I read LALF’s suicide piece with a ‘there but for the Grace of God’ view.

I also accepted his views on free speech.

I then scrolled to the comments section. It was a cess pit.

Some people need to learn that de facto stifling discussion from the sensible majority because you let a few loons run amok is not free speech, indeed is almost the opposite.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Normally I never read the comments section in newspaper articles... its pretty much always a cesspool. Be that as it may, the comments section is a big factor for the metrics of a site.
kokonutz and kishoreajoshi like this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I read LALF’s suicide piece with a ‘there but for the Grace of God’ view.

I also accepted his views on free speech.

I then scrolled to the comments section. It was a cess pit.

Some people need to learn that de facto stifling discussion from the sensible majority because you let a few loons run amok is not free speech, indeed is almost the opposite.
I actually think Ben's site is a nice compromise between TPG (removed comments completely) and Fox News (cess pit). With only showing two or three comments and making the viewer click to read the rest, they are essentially opting in to reading that stuff. I don't run a blog, but perhaps a good business decision?
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about the reader who wants to opt-in to a civilised discussion on the original post? What do they click?

We are very aggressive in blocking people and it works well.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Perhaps when a miles and points site becomes big enough to reach some kind of critical mass threshold, then maybe the audience engagement via comments isn’t as important to a site and the business can huff and puff along without as much user huffing and puffing — even if a directional change toward and exacerbation of silencing has adverse consequences for the long term vitality of a site as a business.

Scoring own goals by wiping out comments is something that could be said about a lot of sites beside just the miles and points blogosphere. It usually seems more likely to happen upon a site reaching maturity and slowed growth but enough revenue to keep owners and their coattail riders happy enough that they think that more editorializing or even getting out of a bunch of audience contributions is without negative consequences.
Markie likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 12:43 pm

The thing is, Ben's site and TPG are vastly different publications. TPG is more or less a commercial content farm, with posts that are largely not very engaging anyway (even if they are well written and produced). Ben, on the other hand, posts a lot of clickbait-y, superficial stuff that is practically useless, but gets people talking. He could only shut down comments if he fundamentally recalibrated how and why he makes content. As it stands, he doesn't share enough things with substance or longevity to make comment-less posts tenable.
kishoreajoshi likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CarringtonEvent
As it stands, he doesn't share enough things with substance or longevity to make comment-less posts tenable.
OMAAT may have to return to the kind of content that grew his business in the first place or change modes if such return isn’t possible and sustainable.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 7:32 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Raffles
What about the reader who wants to opt-in to a civilised discussion on the original post? What do they click?

We are very aggressive in blocking people and it works well.

Yours is one of the few sites where I actually read (and contribute) to the comments

However you manage to achieve a (mostly) sensible discussion seems to (mostly) work !
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
However you manage to achieve a (mostly) sensible discussion seems to (mostly) work !
1. Write sensible content to attract sensible people

2. A zero tolerance policy on non-constructive comments

I suspect implementing 1) is harder than 2) for most sites …..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.