Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by CarringtonEvent
Also, I really hesitate to call people like Ben “bloggers.” He’s just a credit card marketer who uses a blog (or something like one) to lure people in.
Yet you still read and comment on his stuff...
Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
Exactly. So if Ben does just 20% then that’s $6m which makes my original statement - that he should easily have banked $25m over the years - very likely.
Remarkable
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Ok, but where does the number 20,000 come from?
Lucky also hasn't been in affiliate marketing for 15 years.
Don't forget that people often apply through referral offers and direct targeted offers, even if they are regular blog readers.

Someone told me today that they heard I turned down an offer to sell out for $150M. Wild what sort of castles in the sky that people create.
Too bad you didn’t get a (credible) offer of $150M, or you would have jumped on it or been jumped on for not taking it.

The “if 20,000 …..” thing was just whipped up from thin air as an extreme but unlikely example — an imaginary example to be jumped on by someone realizing it wouldn’t take that many bank card applications for the site to have banked 25 million USD in revenue over the years.

Perhaps someone should ask @Randy Petersen how many bank card referrals get credited to OMAAT annually.
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 4, 2023 at 7:44 pm
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Too bad you didn’t get a (credible) offer of $150M, or you would have jumped on it or been jumped on for not taking it.

The “if 20,000 …..” thing was just whipped up from thin air as an extreme but unlikely example — an imaginary example to be jumped on by someone realizing it wouldn’t take that many bank card applications for the site to have banked 25 million USD in revenue over the years.

Perhaps someone should ask [MENTION=251]Randy Petersen how many bank card referrals get credited to OMAAT annually.

Don't mention his name three times or he'll suddenly appear and excoriate everyone without meaningful response to criticism as to how the marketing products he created and profits off of changed the hobby.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Don't mention his name three times or he'll suddenly appear and excoriate everyone without meaningful response to criticism as to how the marketing products he created and profits off of changed the hobby.
He likely has a far better idea about OMAAT’s revenue pull from cards than most anyone else other than Lucky, the IRS and the card issuers.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:48 am

He likely has a far better idea about OMAAT’s revenue pull from cards than most anyone else other than Lucky, the IRS and the card issuers.
Sure, but I'm not sure why you think he would share that confidential business information here. Ben is more transparent about his business activities than Randy is.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 3:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
In defense of Ben: in person, I'm sure he's fine. He's an introvert, so you probably wouldn't get much out of him.

In critique of Ben: a few of his recent articles irked the crap out of me. Asking questions and then immediately answering them comes across as though he thinks his answer is definitive: "should babies be allowed in First Class. Of course!"

Then in the content of "is it "unfair" to earn elite status with credit cards" "yes, people earning status with credit cards is 'fair'".

These are questions of opinion, but they're answered as though they're questions of fact.
Maybe not the intent, but certainly how it comes across.

Further, the attitude that if you want relaxation free from crying babies, fly private, then to go on to complain about people with no headphones (not to say I think people shouldn't wear headphones)... very self-serving.

I guess I have to take him at his word that he's always been OK with babies in first. If he ever wrote about it before, I can't find it (doesn't mean he didn't scrub the page first).
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
In defense of Ben: in person, I'm sure he's fine. He's an introvert, so you probably wouldn't get much out of him.

In critique of Ben: a few of his recent articles irked the crap out of me. Asking questions and then immediately answering them comes across as though he thinks his answer is definitive: "should babies be allowed in First Class. Of course!"

Then in the content of "is it "unfair" to earn elite status with credit cards" "yes, people earning status with credit cards is 'fair'".

These are questions of opinion, but they're answered as though they're questions of fact.
Maybe not the intent, but certainly how it comes across.

Further, the attitude that if you want relaxation free from crying babies, fly private, then to go on to complain about people with no headphones (not to say I think people shouldn't wear headphones)... very self-serving.

I guess I have to take him at his word that he's always been OK with babies in first. If he ever wrote about it before, I can't find it (doesn't mean he didn't scrub the page first).
It seems like you missed that the babies in first discussion was the result of a recent New York Times article that generated commentary by many many people: Babies in First Class: Which Side of the Aisle Are You On? https://nyti.ms/3vi2Gy4

​​​​​​Ben cannot be blamed for coming up with this topic. And given the prominence of that discussion, it would be weird for a blogger who writes about first class travel not to weigh in on it. If your quibble is with his view that first class travel is not a guarantee of pure silence and child free relaxation, I think you'll find that it is not only Ben who has that view. I'm not sure how that's "self-serving". I have the same view and I have no children.

​​​​​​
Old Jan 5, 2023, 5:18 pm

It seems like you missed that the babies in first discussion was the result of a recent New York Times article that generated commentary by many many people: Babies in First Class: Which Side of the Aisle Are You On? https://nyti.ms/3vi2Gy4

​​​​​​Ben cannot be blamed for coming up with this topic. And given the prominence of that discussion, it would be weird for a blogger who writes about first class travel not to weigh in on it. If your quibble is with his view that first class travel is not a guarantee of pure silence and child free relaxation, I think you'll find that it is not only Ben who has that view. I'm not sure how that's "self-serving". I have the same view and I have no children.

​​​​​​
Didn't say I had a problem with him weighing in on it, didn't say I had a problem with his view, didnt say he'd be the only person with that view.

The issues I take are 1. The formatting: answering his own question in a way that makes the answer sound definitive/factual and not open to opinion.

And 2. It's self serving to take a stance against noise that bothers him (the more recent article about people not wearing headphones) while simultaneously taking a stance backing bringing a baby on board that's almost certain to create noise that bothers others.

And I'm sympathetic to parents, and frustrated with people who dont wear headphones, but to take such a cavalier attitude about people who are looking for peace/calm up front... that they should fly private if that's what they're after?

Effectively... as I see it... 'if you didnt want to deal with my noisy baby in first class, you should've flown private' and at the same time 'I'm not going to fly private, but you need to put headphones on and accommodate me'.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:31 pm

Didn't say I had a problem with him weighing in on it, didn't say I had a problem with his view, didnt say he'd be the only person with that view.

The issues I take are 1. The formatting: answering his own question in a way that makes the answer sound definitive/factual and not open to opinion.

And 2. It's self serving to take a stance against noise that bothers him (the more recent article about people not wearing headphones) while simultaneously taking a stance backing bringing a baby on board that's almost certain to create noise that bothers others.

And I'm sympathetic to parents, and frustrated with people who dont wear headphones, but to take such a cavalier attitude about people who are looking for peace/calm up front... that they should fly private if that's what they're after?

Effectively... as I see it... 'if you didnt want to deal with my noisy baby in first class, you should've flown private' and at the same time 'I'm not going to fly private, but you need to put headphones on and accommodate me'.

I see. Well, I have the same views as he does on both subjects and suspect it's pretty common for people to think it's appropriate for children to exist in first class and inappropriate for adults to refuse to use headphones. (Putting aside that there are rules requiring headphones but not banning children.) I don't see there being a contradiction, and think there is an obvious difference between people demanding to exclude paying humans from a cabin and those asking for those in a cabin to have a modicum of respect for others around. As the linked article discusses, it is not "certain" that a child will be more disruptive in a cabin than an adult. It is certain that playing music/video without headphones is disruptive.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:00 pm

I see. Well, I have the same views as he does on both subjects and suspect it's pretty common for people to think it's appropriate for children to exist in first class and inappropriate for adults to refuse to use headphones. (Putting aside that there are rules requiring headphones but not banning children.) I don't see there being a contradiction, and think there is an obvious difference between people demanding to exclude paying humans from a cabin and those asking for those in a cabin to have a modicum of respect for others around. As the linked article discusses, it is not "certain" that a child will be more disruptive in a cabin than an adult. It is certain that playing music/video without headphones is disruptive.
I have the same views as well. I don't appreciate the manner in which the views were put forth.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:40 pm

I have the same views as well. I don't appreciate the manner in which the views were put forth.

I guess I don't follow how the "manner" is "self-serving". Only the position could be self-serving. And usually that's a derogatory term used to suggest a person is only taking a position because it helps them personally. You seem to be conceding that it's a perfectly reasonable position, though
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

Perhaps someone should ask @Randy Petersen how many bank card referrals get credited to OMAAT annually.
Well, considering TPG sold out for ~$11M . And maybe that was only twice what Ingy got?

Lucky certainly could have banked $5M, $25M, $50M, or $100M over the years. Speculate all you want, but it's just that, speculation.

I doubt Randy knows anything other than ballpark figures for card revenues. Pretty sure those flow directly to each BA blog, with Randy just taking a cut of the display ad revenue, which are small potatoes compared to the credit card stuff.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Well, considering TPG sold out for ~$11M . And maybe that was only twice what Ingy got?

Lucky certainly could have banked $5M, $25M, $50M, or $100M over the years. Speculate all you want, but it's just that, speculation.

I doubt Randy knows anything other than ballpark figures for card revenues. Pretty sure those flow directly to each BA blog, with Randy just taking a cut of the display ad revenue, which are small potatoes compared to the credit card stuff.
Didn’t Randy Petersen provide the IT support for OMAAT and VFTW? Then he may have a very good clue about where the clicks came from and went and the volumes.

Has the magic lamp been rubbed enough times for the FT genie to pop up?

TPG sold out before the bubble was close to its maximum.

Revenue for a blogger is different than blog value for liquidity event purposes.
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 5, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Didn’t Randy Petersen provide the IT support for OMAAT and VFTW? Then he may have a very good clue about where the clicks came from and went and the volumes.

Has the magic lamp been rubbed enough times for the FT genie to pop up?

TPG sold out before the bubble was close to its maximum.
Yes, on the one hand TPG certainly sold out too early. But they also turned TPG into a dominating brand and the first site that comes up on a Google search, which was unlikely to happen on its own.

Randy surely has some data, but extrapolation isn't easy and there's no way he would know anything more than ballpark figures unless bloggers share their numbers with him. Cards can pay anywhere from $10 to hundreds of dollars. Conversions are run hot or cold based on the whims of the bank, the quality of the applicants, etc. Sites that target newbies that don't have their own referral links and aren't hindered by signup bonus restrictions or approval frequency throttling restrictions convert at different rates that for sites that target knowledgeable users. Etc, etc.

Also, anyone can see ballpark traffic figures with sites like SimilarWeb, though affiliate revenue extrapolation from that isn't worth anything due to the reasons above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.