Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who hasn't been to the Maldives???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Another day, another blogger going to the Maldives. I'm sure it's nice. Probably real nice. But.....

To her credit, she didn't take the opportunity to remind us that she got her United miles via Ultimate Rewards. In fact, there's no CC links at all. ^

How about a little contest? This MP Maldives trip is 11 months out. Clearly there will be many more blog posts about it. Let's have a contest to see who can guess how many total Chase CC links appear in future MP Maldives blog posts. Closet wins. I'm sure Seth can gin up a little automated tracker for us so we have real-time analytics, right?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
It seems to be the US bloggers' aspirational travel destination of choice.

I'm guessing because it was really hard to get to from the US for a long time, and even now it requires a little creativity or going on airlines relatively new to the alliances. For example, now with Etihad it is doable, and with folks putting credit card points to Singapore's FFP it is doable. So I guess going to the Maldives makes some bloggers feel like they have points and miles cred.

SE Asia used to fill that role for FlyerTalkers (before there were bloggers) but with UA, Thai, Singapore and Cathay's coverage of that region and their long-standing membership in the alliances, well, it's been done. Even a kettle can figure out a way to get first class awards to SE Asia anymore.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:02 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

Hobo, you should plan a trip and go! From what I hear it is very much worth it!

I'll bust the bubble and say the exact total of Maldives posts with cc links will be....some. I'm sure there will be a post about how someone else can build this trip using points, but that wasn't the point of today's post, so it wasn't included. It will be relevant at some point I'm sure since I do write a site about both earning and using miles and points. Today was focused on using.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I already made fun of it via twitter so I won't push it further, but this blogger was the last one I thought would write about the MLE Hyatt

Background: inspired by gleffs glowing reports I was enticed (in 2011) to make use of my Chase UR, the newly gifted Diamond status and the Chase Hyatt CC and mentioned to rcs85551 if there was a way to get a deal on OS' 777 or TKs flight down there so I could spend some time there with my family. He grinned and mentioned that the PH would not be soo super inclined to allow me on their island of tranquillity with our two boys. And indeed, closer inspection of their website has no mention of any kiddie activity at all. Only a very small (generic) image of two kids in the pool .

So I'm eagerly awaiting your report, Mommy Points so I can book a trip there with our boys (currently almost 4 and 5 1/2 years old)!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:26 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

Oliver, I've lost track now of what parts are poking fun and what parts are real, so maybe this is all still a joke, but we aren't bringing our daughter to the Maldives on this trip. However, Hilary from TravelSort just wrote about a trip where she brought her son who I think is in the 4-5 age range.

Seems like he had a really fun time with their pool villa. I don't think kids need much more than sand and water to have a great time...though of course there is sand and water much closer to home if that is the only goal.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mommy Points
I'll bust the bubble and say the exact total of Maldives posts with cc links will be....some.
Well, at least you're honest. But if you really wanted to 'bust the bubble, I expect the answer would have been 'none'.

It is interesting to me as to why you would not put them in the first post about the subject. How does a blogger decide when it is egregious?

At any rate, I'll put my guess at 27 references to Chase cards in Maldives related posts over the next 11 months.

As for going there.... eh, I march to the beat of my own drummer. Or maybe the thought of a $450 water taxi service that doesn't earn miles is just more than I can stomach!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:46 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
that's $900 per couple!!

no water taxis for me either and too far to go.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Mommy Points
Oliver, I've lost track now of what parts are poking fun and what parts are real, so maybe this is all still a joke, but we aren't bringing our daughter to the Maldives on this trip. However, Hilary from TravelSort just wrote about a trip where she brought her son who I think is in the 4-5 age range.

Seems like he had a really fun time with their pool villa. I don't think kids need much more than sand and water to have a great time...though of course there is sand and water much closer to home if that is the only goal.
Read the link on the blog on my way home. Didn't know they allowed kids! M&M considers MLE part of India so for us in MUC its an easy redemption and not so far. My 40th is coming up next year, so now I have (additional) food for thought.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Haven't been, not really interested in just flying there and just parking my butt in a lounge chair on a beach 8000 miles away, and paying for overpriced drinks at a resort.

I can go to Vegas for that.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Haven't been, not really interested in just flying there and just parking my butt in a lounge chair on a beach 8000 miles away, and paying for overpriced drinks at a resort.

I can go to Vegas for that.
Vegas has a beach!?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: A few
personally i have loved the maldives for the past 15 odd years, and the ability to get there on points has just been icing on a beautiful cake

to all those warbling on about it being just a beach chair thousands of miles away it is worth noting it has diving that is unsurpassed anywhere in the world, and certainly nowhere near the us comes even close. it does sadden me that people go there and don't do this ... like going to kenya to sun bathe but not go on safari. but each to their own. for me it's an amazing place. i've paid $20k cash to go there and will continue to visit as long as i can afford either the points or money or both
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by ingy
that's $900 per couple!!

no water taxis for me either and too far to go.

I've never been, but sent my son and his wife there on their honeymoon. I used AA and UA miles. Half of which were from cc signups from the old Frugal Travel Guy website (when it was owned by Rick).

Even if I were to go to the Maldives, the thought of expensive roundtrip flights or water taxis defeats the fly4free/stay4free mentality. Let's not even discuss the $28 cheeseburger that's brought to you by rude British staff.

Many of my friends wonder why we go to Hawaii (an all day adventure), when they think Puerto Rico or Nassau is just as nice. I ask the same question to all of you, why go to the Maldives when there are so many other affordable choices? ie Hawaii.

Answer... Bloggers go there as a business expense.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I don't dive and the Maldives do not hold any interest for me. That's why there is a big world, something for everybody....
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I've never been, but sent my son and his wife there on their honeymoon. I used AA and UA miles. Half of which were from cc signups from the old Frugal Travel Guy website (when it was owned by Rick).

Even if I were to go to the Maldives, the thought of expensive roundtrip flights or water taxis defeats the fly4free/stay4free mentality. Let's not even discuss the $28 cheeseburger that's brought to you by rude British staff.

Many of my friends wonder why we go to Hawaii (an all day adventure), when they think Puerto Rico or Nassau is just as nice. I ask the same question to all of you, why go to the Maldives when there are so many other affordable choices? ie Hawaii.
My wife and I have been using A fares to explore the various beaches of Central and South America for the past couple years.

We have found plenty that are as remote and luxurious as the Maldives appear to be. We've also found rustic and off-the-beaten path places peopled by surfers and gap year kids.

It's amazing what one can find in ones own backyard. ^

Answer... Bloggers go there as a business expense.
Sure...and what the heck else are they going to do with their hundreds of thousands of dollars of CC affiliate program revenue!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
It seems like they generally use miles and points to get there and to pay for their stays? That doesn't seem consistent with using the trips as a writeoff, right?

Mommy Points wrote about her award redemption. VFTW has written two trip reports, both times using miles to get there and hotel points for the rooms plus a buy up to an overwater villa. Dan's Deals I think paid for a room, though a really good value at a non-major chain hotel.

I seem to recall that Lucky went to the Maldives and said it was on some sort of travel agent rate, but I haven't found the post.

I have not seem any of the bloggers write about their persnal tax strategies. Does that seem to be crossing a line for us to discuss, especially when it's pure speculation about their individual motives and individual finances?

If the speculation is actually based on some posts the bloggers made that i Have simply missed, then I apologize in advance. Let's keep things focused on substance, right? That's part of the job of "Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources" @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.