Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who hasn't been to the Maldives???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I the only one who hasn't been to the Maldives???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

farbster, relatively few people do expensive luxury hotels to begin with. so thats not a big deal by itself. but i agree re wording many CC bloggers use - as benzemalyonnais points out they are not "travel bloggers" - but then, CC bloggers have something in common with professional travel writers - it seems to me that professional travel writers who receive complimentary stays at expensive hotels seem to not find those hotels worth spending their own money on. unlike writers about pretty much everything else. (food, cars, fashion, cigars, alcohol, collectibles, golf, yachts, sports, events, etc.) even many "travel bloggers" do spend their money on expensive hotels, as some "first/business class" bloggers actually fly paid fares rather than awards, because they find it worth their money.

re off the beaten path - few award opportunities (talking about CC bloggers)
although virgin miles can be redeemed for safaris in kenya and south africa

re CC bloggers and hotels >

ben said his indian aman trip was on some kind of discounted travel agent rate
but he did later do indonesian aman trip

although, an FTer told me via PM that they themselves got a discount at an indian aman simply for blogging about trip

a CC blogger who is also a travel agent, does award bookings, and does PR work posted a report for a comped amanjena stay

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 14, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Hi everyone, I just joined and was looking to see if there was a newbie/introductions section. Instead I found this... and wanted to say I have never been to the Maldives. My friend went recently and loved it. It is on my bucket list for sure.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:12 pm

I'm laying over for 1.5hr at MLE on my way to Sri Lanka. Does that count as having been to the Maldives?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
"[My] recommendation would be to use the AAdvantage miles for a trip for two to the Maldives or Sri Lanka with Etihad Airways or Cathay Pacific First Class."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/17/tr...nn-disqus-area

Yep, I'll soon be the only one left who hasn't been.....
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
farbster, relatively few people do expensive luxury hotels to begin with. so thats not a big deal by itself. but i agree re wording many CC bloggers use - as benzemalyonnais points out they are not "travel bloggers" - but then, CC bloggers have something in common with professional travel writers - it seems to me that professional travel writers who receive complimentary stays at expensive hotels seem to not find those hotels worth spending their own money on. unlike writers about pretty much everything else. (food, cars, fashion, cigars, alcohol, collectibles, golf, yachts, sports, events, etc.) even many "travel bloggers" do spend their money on expensive hotels, as some "first/business class" bloggers actually fly paid fares rather than awards, because they find it worth their money.

re off the beaten path - few award opportunities (talking about CC bloggers)
although virgin miles can be redeemed for safaris in kenya and south africa

re CC bloggers and hotels >

ben said his indian aman trip was on some kind of discounted travel agent rate
but he did later do indonesian aman trip

although, an FTer told me via PM that they themselves got a discount at an indian aman simply for blogging about trip

a CC blogger who is also a travel agent, does award bookings, and does PR work posted a report for a comped amanjena stay
Yep. Some of the blogs provide a good overview of a product or of routing rules, etc., but the reason FT will always be better is because it's generally unbiased individuals reporting on their experience on various airlines and classes of service.

While sometimes FTers are spending OPM (such as when I work for a client) the inherent conflict of interest that occurs with the CC and "Travel" bloggers is not present. It's why those FTers especially with high post content a clear credibility are highly valued for their ability to provide "real-life" reviews
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:11 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Yep. Some of the blogs provide a good overview of a product or of routing rules, etc., but the reason FT will always be better is because it's generally unbiased individuals reporting on their experience on various airlines and classes of service.

While sometimes FTers are spending OPM (such as when I work for a client) the inherent conflict of interest that occurs with the CC and "Travel" bloggers is not present. It's why those FTers especially with high post content a clear credibility are highly valued for their ability to provide "real-life" reviews
The irony is that many of the bloggers WERE those FT posters: high post content and credibility.

Hard to be critical for them for choosing to make a bundle of money by selling out for affiliate cash, status, free trips and getting to schmooze with travel company execs since that's a pretty quintessentially American thing to do.

And luckily there are plenty of folks willing to fill in behind them and give unbiased advice for free on FT! ^
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Bump.
And I still haven't been.....
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by hobo13
And I still haven't been.....
Nor have I
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:52 am
Suspended

I haven't either but considering a trip in 2017. The problem for U.S. citizens is that it's so damn far away. Had to save up some miles to get some J or F seats as no way in hell I would fly coach all that way.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: FlySmiles
I joined and saw this post so thought of replying it.

I am from the Maldives (if it counts to being to Maldives then count me in).

Srilankan Airlines (member of the OneWorld) flys regular flight to Maldives

i guess the it would be much expensive if you are member of any OneWorld member where you can redeem your miles

Cheers
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Doesn't look like TPOL is recommending The Maldives...on his list of places not to visit in 2016

http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea.com/11948-2/
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
No interest yet. I hate beach destinations. boring. I will stop there on a cruise in 2016 and that will be fine for me.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:09 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cruisr
No interest yet. I hate beach destinations. boring. I will stop there on a cruise in 2016 and that will be fine for me.
I'm not a beach person either...and the one day I went snorkeling there (by Hulhumale'), I ended up veering right into the boat jetty.

However, couldn't complain about the smoked tuna and the liberal use of chilies in some dishes.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Amal Clooney thinks the Maldives suck. And tourists shouldn't go.

Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:14 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
I haven't been to the Maldives and really have no plans to go. I was travel agent for almost 30 years. I had some clients travel to the Maldives. Overall, most clients said they were glad they went, but wouldn't go back. Main reason distance.

The only reason the M&P bloggers do these trips is....it is most exotic and expensive place to go on miles and points. Not one of these bloggers would go if they had to pay cash for the trip.

As far as the all the crowing about the Park Hyatt Maldives, even on points it isn't a good value. I am not saying the property isn't nice. But, once you add all the extras, that you have to pay cash for, the value on points decreases greatly. The upgrade to over water villa is at least $200/night and the $500 per person transfers from the airport. One can find specials for many Maldives resorts on Travelzoo.com for as little as $600++, many times for over water villas. So spending 150,000 points plus at least another mandatory $1000 for a 5 night stay, it isn't really a bargain. Another point, while the resorts are isolated and very luxurious, the airport isn't in anyway, a 5* experience.

Maldives is hot spot now, soon to change. Especially as climate change causes sea levels to rise. What will the Maldives look like in 20 years? I think that is really the only reason for me to go to the Maldives. It may be underwater, in the next 20-30 years.

Last edited by not2017; Apr 3, 2016 at 12:16 pm Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.