BACon

Old May 16, 13, 1:52 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
BACon

I just found out that this conference of bloggers happened.

What did you guys talk about?

Were the affiliates in attendance?

Was the atmosphere 'country-clubby!?'

http://bacon.boardingarea.com/

Looks like the lodging was included. Nice. The perks of points and miles blogging keep adding and adding up!

This session looks like the most profitable to me:

SESSION FIVE [WORKING LUNCH]
AFFILIATE PROGRAMS | David Gold / Kenny Ahrens / Stacy Wakefield
Double session:
1) David Gold of Chase Bank Services will deliver a high level view and direction of the current credit card acquisition strategies in the industry.
2) Updates and strategies of working with affiliate programs featuring Kenny Ahrens, BankRate/FlexOffers; and Stacy Wakefield, Credit Karma.
Learn more about monetizing your blog using affiliate marketing, without compromising integrity or crippling traffic. Some of the topics covered include: how affiliate marketing works, when to monetize your blog, understanding affiliate agreements, the best way to integrate affiliate links in your blog that convert and much more.
TAKEAWAYS
Comparing various commission options
How to manage the online chatter of distraction
Managing referrals and approvals
I get the feeling that the bolded bit refers to places like this forum.

I kind of feel bad that our online chatter of distraction may be interfering with bloggers efforts to monetize their blog using affiliate marketing.

Last edited by kokonutz; May 16, 13 at 1:59 pm
Old May 16, 13, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
i'm guessing "what happens at BACon, stays at BACon"
Old May 17, 13, 5:59 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
From this post you can get a good sense of the mentality of the weekend i'm guessing

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flygra...lled-a-dykwia/

it kinda reminded me of that upgrd blogger who pulled out his "blogger business card" when trying to explain why he didn't want to listen to crewmember instructions
Old May 17, 13, 8:17 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
From this post you can get a good sense of the mentality of the weekend i'm guessing

it kinda reminded me of that upgrd blogger who pulled out his "blogger business card" when trying to explain why he didn't want to listen to crewmember instructions
I hope this person never mentioned FlyerTalk; what an embarrassing, childish display.
Old May 17, 13, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
I just found out that this conference of bloggers happened.
You should pay more attention. Folks have been talking about it for a while now.

What did you guys talk about?
Lots of things.

Were the affiliates in attendance?
Most of the scheduled speakers were there. Some bailed.

Quite frankly, monetization wasn't at all the focus and while the CC affiliate session did happen I don't think there was a whole lot of new information which came out of it in a way which will see things change in any material way.
Old May 17, 13, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
You should pay more attention. Folks have been talking about it for a while now.

Lots of things.

Most of the scheduled speakers were there. Some bailed.

Quite frankly, monetization wasn't at all the focus and while the CC affiliate session did happen I don't think there was a whole lot of new information which came out of it in a way which will see things change in any material way.
I understand that some bloggers blogged about the event. And yeah, I missed them all as I was busy playing golf and drinking vodka last weekend rather than keeping up with the world of miles and points.

Is there a blog post out there that goes into a little more detail about the weekend than what is described above?

Originally Posted by freeloader

Ouch.

But as I said in her comments, at least she has the good sense to be embarrassed for having scolded the poor bellman with a DYKWIA. ^
Old May 17, 13, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Google is my friend:

http://first2board.com/foodwineandmi...ts-from-bacon/
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/pearls...5/bacon-day-1/
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/pearls...5/bacon-day-2/
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/pearls...5/bacon-day-3/

Thanks to these blogs for the 411. ^
Old May 17, 13, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Looks like some of the SEO tips I picked up are working
Old May 20, 13, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by freeloader View Post

THAT will go down in my books as one of the most lol DYKWIA situations ever. I'm sure that kid is nice in person, but wow.
Old May 20, 13, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I just love the name of this.

Attend BACon. Get fat.

So if the F2B crowd was invited, does that mean that anybody could attend? (After throwing up their shingle on Wordpress, that is.) After all, if the bloggers tout that anybody who sells on Ebay can have a small business, do they also proclaim that anybody who has a travel blog is a travel blogger?
Old May 20, 13, 4:42 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
One of Ric Garrido's posts on it...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...ate-marketing/
Old May 21, 13, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
I just love the name of this.

Attend BACon. Get fat.

So if the F2B crowd was invited, does that mean that anybody could attend? (After throwing up their shingle on Wordpress, that is.) After all, if the bloggers tout that anybody who sells on Ebay can have a small business, do they also proclaim that anybody who has a travel blog is a travel blogger?
Miles and points blogs are not travel blogs.

Travel blogs exist in their own odd little world. After all, have you ever met anyone who travels a lot who actually reads a travel blog regularly?!
Old May 21, 13, 3:54 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
No really! Look!

Look at me! I'm blogging!

Last edited by oliver2002; May 21, 13 at 3:58 am Reason: no animated gifs please.
Old May 21, 13, 8:29 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
I liked the part about the "power of BAcon".

Mmmmmm!
Old May 21, 13, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't there a line on one of the reality TV cooking contest shows

"Everything's better with bacon."

Is this from Iron Chef America, or Chopped, or ......? Or is it due to Anthony Bourdain?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: