Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Anyone at the Fairfax, Virginia FTU? How is/was it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone at the Fairfax, Virginia FTU? How is/was it?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 2:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
They are called 'Dos.' And generally involve drinks and/or dinner with no lectures (ie, the social networking aspect of the seminars).

True story: I actually met my wife at a FlyerTalk Do. Our second anniversary was yesterday. ^
Well, then. No wonder she doesn't want you to attend another such event!!

Out here in California, when we see the word "Dos", it means "Two". Which was apt in your case!
Old May 1, 2013, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So do you think it is fair to say that the seminars appeal more the average blog-reader who is passively engaged on the topic than the average flyertalker who is actively engaged on the topic?
I think that your definition of the "average flyertalker" is woefully erroneous. The average flyertalker reads and consumes, just like the average blog reader. Many of the average flyertalkers may not even be registered members - on average 2-3x more guests are on the site than registered members from what I've seen - and many of the registered users are, at most, an occasional poster. There is a very small collection of very, very involved members who post a lot and who have passionate opinions on any number of topics discussed on this site. But they are hardly average.

The average user here posts far less than once per day, I'd bet. There are some very frequent posters (self included) who skew the average numbers, but most are just reading along, looking for news, deals or guidance.
Old May 1, 2013, 4:17 pm
Used to be diaworld

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
I'm enjoying reading everyone's takeaways from the event. Mine are similar- and different.

Similar: Being my 2nd event (Chicago 2012 was my first) I got little to nothing new out of the regular suspects. My value came from the social interactions in the hallways, happy hours, etc. Once you've Veuve Clicquot'd with Mr. Pickles, well, where do you go from there?

Different: I got HUGE value out of Chris Gillibeau's presentation and was happy to see Rapid Travel Chai up there. His fresh perspective is welcome!

Since I come at this as a Mommy hacker, I was disappointed in the family offerings at FTU for a number of reasons. I know flyertalk is 20-something dude heavy, but I told Randy that more voices at the table in this vein would be helpful. Mommy Points and Pizzaman are great at what they do, but "family" does not always mean "baby" (the oldest kid represented by the panel was 6) and most of us who fly 4, 6, or 8 people just don't have the freezer size for the ice cream needed to fly business class as they recommended!
Old May 1, 2013, 6:33 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

I would also love to see more family offerings at these events, as covering everything related to family travel in roughly in hour just isn't going to happen. Heck you could almost do a whole session just on finding housing/rentals/hotel rooms for families. You are right that traveling with teens and pre-teens brings on different challenges than traveling with the six and under crowd. Some of the challenges such as space and availability are similar, but clearly someone with a 12 year old doesn't care about baby travel gear and lap infant policies.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:15 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Well I certainly learned something new today!

I never made a differentiation between Deal Mommy and Mommy Points! But they are two totally different posters!!!! @:-)
Old May 1, 2013, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by zussino
Are there ever these type of events in Seattle or Portland?
We had a dinner and drinks Meet-Up in PDX in early April. Here's a link:

http://www.meetup.com/Frequent-Flyer...1_grp&rv=co1.1

They consensus was to do it again. The same group also holds events in Seattle.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:45 pm

True story: I actually met my wife at a FlyerTalk Do. Our second anniversary was yesterday. ^
I have been reading widely on FT as I get going in this game, but never saw the above post until now. What a sweet story! Having watched your valiant effort to get this forum going, I had no idea you were such a romantic guy! Happy Anniversary to you both!
Old May 2, 2013, 1:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
While I see the charm in organising an event with x00 'expert' FTers in one room, hallway or bar, my experience shows smaller events like this fridays MUC Stammtisch, the London bmi drinkies or the Washington area drink evenings are far more effective to bond and exchange tips/tricks/deals. When 100 or more are involved you tend to interact like you are speed dating, with 2-3 minutes per participant, or rather you get stuck talking to a chatty drunk FTer and all the while feel like you are missing out on networking with a dozen or so others...
Old May 2, 2013, 3:50 pm
Used to be diaworld

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Talking

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
I would also love to see more family offerings at these events, as covering everything related to family travel in roughly in hour just isn't going to happen. Heck you could almost do a whole session just on finding housing/rentals/hotel rooms for families. You are right that traveling with teens and pre-teens brings on different challenges than traveling with the six and under crowd. Some of the challenges such as space and availability are similar, but clearly someone with a 12 year old doesn't care about baby travel gear and lap infant policies.
I actually think there's enough material for an entire family travel seminar! Hmmm...Revenge of the Mommy bloggers, FT style
Old May 7, 2013, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Question I just thought of. With the Freddies co-located with the FTUDC....did any of the employees of the Freddie finalists stick around for the weekend to see how their programs are getting 'hacked'?

I wonder especially if any attended the 'Secrets' session.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I know that at least one UA employee was at the FTU event. He doesn't work in the loyalty program and was there as a paid attendee because he has a bunch of miles he uses from time to time for his family to travel.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
I know that at least one UA employee was at the FTU event. He doesn't work in the loyalty program and was there as a paid attendee because he has a bunch of miles he uses from time to time for his family to travel.
Lol, I know he wasn't there to win any Freddie awards!!!!

Thanks for the 411.
Old May 20, 2013, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Question I just thought of. With the Freddies co-located with the FTUDC....did any of the employees of the Freddie finalists stick around for the weekend to see how their programs are getting 'hacked'?

I wonder especially if any attended the 'Secrets' session.
or as the people at Delta's General Office referred to the event: "that gamer convention"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.