Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Anyone at the Fairfax, Virginia FTU? How is/was it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone at the Fairfax, Virginia FTU? How is/was it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by freeloader
i went, and i was very underwhelmed.

met a lot of interesting people for sure. but 99% of the material was waaaaay too basic (a complaint i heard from more then a few people, many of them new). many of the sessions repeated a lot of the exact same materials

seems like lots of new people are involved in this hobby. most were inexperienced (though again, many thought it was too basic). a lot of newbies i met can off as extremely arrogant and a little know-it-all-ish; though many were nice. There were young bloggers hyping their blogs with wearing shrits with their blogger name pasted in large letters, which gave me a chuckle

SPG no showed in a session they were to sponser, which was dissappointing. i was looking most forward to that session.

$20k raised for charity!

overall, i loved meeting and talking to a bunch of interesting people, but the education aspect of it was disappointing.
I will be hosting the SPG hotel breakout session at the Chicago Seminars in October and I will definitely show up. Had I been asked I would have been willing to host the session at FTU,.....but nobody asked.

I take it very personally, if I make a commitment, I will stand behind it.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Always some irony in these events... bloggers giving "secrets" during lectures asking them not to share to the outside world.

The even doesn't seem very expensive to attend, but it seems like you are paying more for the social aspect of meeting up with other frequent travelers that share similar passions.
Never say anything that you don't want repeated. I say it is all fair game. I already have my blog post written, just waiting for the best time to publish it.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
That has been a problem in the past and one that I pushed to see addressed this time around. This FTU had a session or two more about travel and, as I understand it, they were quite well received. I think that side of things will continue to grow.

Agreed, and I was one of the people on stage. That session has always been of somewhat limited potential IMO and I dislike that it is built up so much on the marketing side. But I'm not involved in that so I doubt my opinion carries much weight there. I was also quite disappointed with the "Debbie Downer" bit given that it isn't universally true and certainly wasn't something I'd consider helpful to the group.

I had a great time at the event and met a bunch more new friends in addition to seeing many old ones. I don't think that it makes sense for most people to be repeat visitors unless they're attending for the social aspect - there aren't that many changes YoY in the programs to justify it. And I think that applies to FTU and the Chicago seminars equally.

At the end of the day I think that it simply becomes a matter of format more than content. Sure, I can get (nearly) the same content scouring the websites and doing the legwork myself. I can also attend an event and get the content in a presentation format, somewhat edited and hopefully more coherent. There is nothing wrong with either approach; it is a matter of personal preference.
Obviously I did not learn much at the sessions.

Others learnt a lot and may have been overwhelmed. The sessions help spouses understand the obsession.

I find the social time to be of enormous value in creating a personal travel network for sharing and learning. You must be outgoing to get value. Speak up, ask questions, participate in the breakout sessions if offered.

Also meeting fellow forum members and blog followers is always fun, as is getting an opportunity to speak directly with the paid vendors.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:48 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mrpickles
The sessions help spouses understand the obsession.
Very true. Unfortunately it's often impossible to convince one's spouse to attend a meeting of obsessive nuts. Maybe after a few trips in international F and maybe if they served free champagne at the event... @:-)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mrpickles
I will be hosting the SPG hotel breakout session at the Chicago Seminars in October and I will definitely show up. Had I been asked I would have been willing to host the session at FTU,.....but nobody asked.

I take it very personally, if I make a commitment, I will stand behind it.
now that makes me want to come to chicago!

i agree tho, i am a big starwood apologist and was somewhat angry when they backed out at the last minute. That was the one session i was looking most forward to, and was a tipping point in deciding to come. other then a last minute personal emergency, i cant figure out why they would cancel last minute
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
So looking at that photo in the OP again....what was in the bags!?

Describe the schwag! Any upgrade certs or something useful like that!?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
So looking at that photo in the OP again....what was in the bags!?

Describe the schwag! Any upgrade certs or something useful like that!?
note pad, pen, coupon for discount on expert flyer, ad for titan limo, most recent Inside Flyer mag, chris guillebeau's new book "$100 startup" (interestingly gleff's award booking service is highlighted, some interesting financial data in there)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I went to the LAX one. As others have said, the best part was the networking. The seminars in were typically way too beginner oriented; some of the "advanced" ones had some very beginner questions.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:11 am
Original Poster

It is interesting to me that the seminars seem to be oriented toward newbies.

After all, how many newbies are going to pay $$$ and spend weekend time at a seminar? I imagine the market for such an event would have to be more hardcore addicts.

Did it seem like a lot of newbies were in attendance?

note pad, pen, coupon for discount on expert flyer, ad for titan limo, most recent Inside Flyer mag, chris guillebeau's new book "$100 startup" (interestingly gleff's award booking service is highlighted, some interesting financial data in there)
Not bad. But at the Party in Paradise back in 1999, we got lounge passes, car rental and hotel upgrade certs and real useful schwag!!!

Boys need to up their schwag game!

Last edited by kokonutz; May 1, 2013 at 8:18 am
Old May 1, 2013, 11:18 am

Newbies might be a relative term.

I didn't meet anyone that was so raw that they didn't know what a point was, but many were not doing things to manufacture spend like AP and some didn't know about adding a "free one way". Not that I'm an expert, but I at least do AP and have heard of and understand adding the free one way (not that I've done it yet).
Old May 1, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG, Marriott, Hilton, Alaska
Are there ever these type of events in Seattle or Portland?
Old May 1, 2013, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by zussino
Are there ever these type of events in Seattle or Portland?
nothing of that scope - but head over to the CommunityBuzz forum, you'll see all sorts of smaller scale meetups in all sorts of different cities. they say those are the best events anyways!!
Old May 1, 2013, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

After all, how many newbies are going to pay $$$ and spend weekend time at a seminar?
Many.
I imagine the market for such an event would have to be more hardcore addicts.
I think you're incorrect there.

Did it seem like a lot of newbies were in attendance?
Yes.
Old May 1, 2013, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

nothing of that scope - but head over to the CommunityBuzz forum, you'll see all sorts of smaller scale meetups in all sorts of different cities. they say those are the best events anyways!!
This.

They are called 'Dos.' And generally involve drinks and/or dinner with no lectures (ie, the social networking aspect of the seminars).

True story: I actually met my wife at a FlyerTalk Do. Our second anniversary was yesterday. ^
Old May 1, 2013, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Many.
I think you're incorrect there.

Yes.
So do you think it is fair to say that the seminars appeal more the average blog-reader who is passively engaged on the topic than the average flyertalker who is actively engaged on the topic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.