Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Expert Hotel Reviews
Reload this Page >

The Moxy Hotel Southampton was good but fell short of my expectations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF-KL Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Silver

Moxy Southampton

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Moxy Southampton

, GB

The Moxy Hotel Southampton was good but fell short of my expectations (0 Photo)

Moxy Southampton

Hello Everyone! 

This is my first hotel review so please bear with me and I welcome constructive feedback and suggestions to help me write future reviews. 

I have long been a fan of Marriott and their associated brands and have stayed at several properties throughout the year but it was only until recently I saw the value of booking directly through Marriott so I thought I 'revive' my Marriott Bonvoy account. I usually book all my hotel stays with Marriott through third party OTAs but this time and going forwards, I will be booking directly. 

Upon booking, Moxy had an exclusive offer for Marriott Bonvoy members which included a 3000 bonus points per stay. In addition, Marriott currently have a Global Promotion of which members receive 1000 points PER NIGHT and One Elite Night Credit PER NIGHT. 

At the end of my stay, I received my base points and 2000 bonus points and two extra elite night credits but have yet to receive the 3000 bonus points. 

Without further ado, here goes. 

Check In

I already had the Marriott Bonvoy app downloaded on my phone and was sent a notification that I was able to check in online. 

The app interface was very easy to use and was able to pick a check in time. One great thing about the app was the ability to interact with the front desk staff. I sent them a message that I will be arriving later than my chosen check-in time and got a rather swift response saying it was not a problem. 

Upon arrival, we headed straight to the check in desk. As it was my first Moxy stay, I'd say I really liked the concept where you chec-in at the bar. The front staff was very helpful and gave us all the information we needed for our stay. He issued us our keys immedietly and also asked us if we wanted a mobile key. 

As with all other Moxy properties, each guest are welcomed with a welcome cocktail which was very much appreciated and refreshing. 

Check in: 10/10

Room

We stayed at a Moxy Guest Sleeper and the room was clean upon arrival and was decently sized for me and my partner. The bed was very comfortable and so were the pillows. 

In the room, there was a kettle and tea and coffee with several mugs and drinking glasses which is always good to have. 

The TV was decently sized. 

The bathroom was on the smaller size but it was not an issue. The bathroom was filled with Muk products which were great. However, when we arrived, there was only towels for one persion so we immedietly requested one from the reception team. 

One thing about the room is that you could here footsteps from upstairs which could be bothersome for light sleepers like myself. 

Towards the end of our stay, we did notice reddish and yellowish stains on two of the pillows in our bedroom. Luckily it was not on the side we slept on, otherwise we would have made the team aware and requested for new pillowcases ASAP. In addition to the stains on the pillows, we did notice some yellowish stains on the top sheet. Not on the sheet itself but it was reflecting from the mattress protector. We took the sheet of and found a big patch of yellowish stain on the mattress protector. It was dry but frankly it was very off putting for me and my partner which could potentially be a health or biological hazard.

Room: 7/10

Service

The front staff were great. 

We headed out the followig day and on return, our room was serviced and again, only towel good for one was provided and the body wash was not refilled. I immedietly asked the night reception team for an extra towel and a refill of the body and hair wash. It took 45 minutes for this request to be fulfilled. 

Serive: 8/10

Dining

We didn't eat at the hotel but we did get some cocktails from the bar. 

The welcome cocktail was very good. At the time of check in, they did have offers on cocktails so we did get two for the night of check in. 

On our second night, we decided to chill in the bar and have a drink. The hotel wasn't particularly busy that evening but service was rather slow. There was one team member doing most of the work to tend to other guest and one rather unenthusiatic man who gave the impression that he did not want to be there. He took our orders and it took him 30 minutes to make two cocktails. It was evident that he did not have or he lacked experience making cocktails as the cocktail we ordered was the same one we ordered the night before and did not taste the same. 

Dining: 5/10

The location was great. The hotel is directly across the street from West Quay, Southampton and not far from the cruise ship ports. 

Overall

Overall, I really like the vibe and the concept of the Moxy brand. I will not hesitate to stay at another Moxy hotel worldwide. 

As this was my first time at a Moxy, I set the bar high for my expectations. Immedietly after checking out, I sent an email raising my concerns regarding the stained pillows and mattress protector to the Marriott Customer Care team.

Did it live up to the brand concept: playful, affordable, and stylish? Yes. 

Will I stay at another Moxy Hotel? Yes.

However, maybe the concept has led to falling short of my expectations. Particularly with the cleanliness and the attitude of some staff member. 

Overall: 8/10

Would you like to write a review on the Moxy Southampton?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.