Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Expert Hotel Reviews
Reload this Page >

W Hotel Bali Seminyak Food Poisoning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2020, 4:59 am
Original Poster

W HOTEL RETREAT AND SPA BALI

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Jl Petitenget Seminyak Denpasar, ID 80361

W Hotel Bali Seminyak Food Poisoning (0 Photo)

Chicken campylobacter food poisoning! I stayed at the W Seminyak in Bali for five nights and was poisoned by a chicken dish which is still making me ill six months later. I stayed there while training for a marathon and didn't eat out of the hotel for food safety reasons. I thought a five star hotel would be safe, but it wasn't.

The food preparation and hygiene standards are sub standard. When I was treated by the hotel doctor I got the impression they saw this a lot. The hotel doctors were excellent by the way, I was on a drip and had to stay an extra 24 hours before they gave me a 'fit to fly' certificate. However, the fact that the doctors are so well practised and efficient is a big warning sign. 

I would advise not to eat at the hotel, I thought it would be safe but three hours after eating I was violently ill. Be warned - this was no two day “Bali belly”, I’ve had five courses of different antibiotics and it’s still with me.

The W Seminyak’s kitchens are not safe, do not eat there. 

Would you like to write a review on the W HOTEL RETREAT AND SPA BALI?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:10 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Just wonder why someone had to crate a brand new account to write a hotel review. This puts the credibility into question.

I've never been there and I have nothing to do with the hotel. But I'm just curious.

---
The more I read, the more curious I got. He stayed there for 5 nights and we do not know when he got ill. Just not enough details.
the phoenix likes this.

Last edited by RedSun; Sep 10, 2020 at 10:44 am
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: QF WP
The incubation period of campylobacter is at least 24 hours so if you got sick 3 hours after eating at this hotel, somewhere else is the culprit
RedSun likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:40 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Here someone wrote about "Bali Belly"Many travellers get an upset stomach, and not just in BAli either.

This is usually due to a change in diet and activities and will quickly fix itself if you moderate the changes you have made.

In Bali the most common change is to be a bit piggy over all of the new, exotic and fabulous fruit that you will find there.

You will know when you have Bali Belly - you feel like nothing you've ever been like before, both ends are running, oftn at the same time.

'Bali Belly' is a pain in the **** for at least 24 hours and certainly for days if not quickly and effectively treated.

PREVENTION:

Personal hygiene needs to be watched more carefully than at home, particularly hand washing after visiting the toilet and especially after HANDLING MONEY.You'll know that you've got it about 3-4hrs after you get it.(the bug that is)

See a Doctor, you will get a shot in the backside and several tablets to take and you'll be able to safely get about in 24hrs.

NO ACTION AT ALL IS JUST PLAIN FOOLISH.

The time from infection to symptoms varies from a day to 2weeks and the problem is contagious throughout the period that the organizm exists in the gut and is being passed.

Imodium is a common clinical remedy take 2 tablets straight away and 1 next morning.

Loperomide usually works within 1 hour. Others recommend daily Acidophilous tablets as a preventative to ward off the buys.

Norritt, little black activated charcoal tablets available at Matahari Supermarkets and many other places in Bali, including Circle K stores and Mini Marts, for 6,700rup for 40tablets. 6-9tablets three times a day.

Some travellers swear by Entrostop charcoal tablets from a local 'Apotic'(chemist). They should not be used with other medication.

Others recommend Raspberry juice with at least 30% preferably more, real juice in the blend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.