Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which alliance would Eva Air join?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by username
Is it legal for them to offer different fares based on your national origin? Isn't that a lawsuit waiting to happen?

Years ago the Chinese travel agencies in the US seemed to practice that. Now it does not seem to happen any more. The Internet can't tell what the user's nationality is :-)
One way they get around discrimination laws is by advertising only in Asian languages.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:33 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by ksandness
One way they get around discrimination laws is by advertising only in Asian languages.
That's away of not getting caught! I'm not sure if all countries have the same laws. Although they fly from the UK, for the purposes of the law I doubt whether they have any cabin crew employed there.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 7:08 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
I cant see them joining any alliance unless MH joins OW then they might join ST. NTM that CKS airport in TPE is a DUMP in my opinion. The termial for EVA is Ok but the terminal for non Taiwanese carriers is in need of implosion.
-UFFA
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:19 pm

The only time that BR join alliance will be when the cross-strait flight between Taiwan and China opens (scheduled link, not holiday charter). Otherwise, Star pretty much have it covered with dual gateway in north and south; oneWorld has CX/KA; Skyteam didn't have any connection with BR.....
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by jimbo99
I suppose SkyTeam would make the most sense. In Taiwan they seem to compete heavily with Singapore (*A) and Cathay (OneWorld). Also they partner CO.

From my own point of view, I'm happy they are not in an alliance. *Golds seem two-a-penny these days. Wouldn't want to see it go that way with EVA.

Anyway, some how I just don't see it happening. I feel the Taiwanese airlines are a pretty introverted arrogant lot - liking to do things their own way. Whilst they might like the prestige and perceived international status of belonging to an alliance, I doubt whether they could cope with it in reality.

I've never regarded EVA as being terribly serious about being truly international.

Any updates on EVA (or Ci) joining an alliance. And what benefits would it bring to them?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:28 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
I still think it's a big IF. If they did join, I would love to see them in oneworld; they do code share with AA. I head a rumor about a oneworld tie in a few months ago.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:23 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ak333
I still think it's a big IF. If they did join, I would love to see them in oneworld; they do code share with AA. I head a rumor about a oneworld tie in a few months ago.
Very unlikely for a Taiwanese airline to join OW given the close geographical location to CX/KA. In the JAL commitment speech (the period when JAL was considering SkyTeam), both QF and CX representatives made it clear that oneworld tries to seperate members (QF in Australia, JL in northeast Asia, CX in south Asia) unlike *A which is tightly-knitted, reducing intra-alliance competition.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Judging from how much time has lapsed since the last bunch of discussions, I can see most have given up on this subject.

A lot has changed. Now there are regularly scheduled flights between Taiwan and Mainland China, CO is likely going to merge with UA and drop the BR alliance, more alliance carriers serving Taiwan (CA, CZ, MU), etc. Still, I don't see these driving up the need for BR to join an alliance. It probably even sees less need as its network is stronger.

The money is in intra-Asia flights and the uniqueness is in Elite Class. The people who are the most interested in them joining an alliance are North American based flyers which is small compared to their main market segment.

I stopped flying EVA the last few years because I need UA EQMs to supplement my work travels and make 1K on UA but I think I am in the minority. It would be very nice if they joined Star - there is currently no Star (or OW) carrier serving US/Canada-TPE non-stop! I am not counting on it.

Last edited by username; Jun 11, 2010 at 12:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.