Wiki Posts
Search

Eva air question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2006, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Eva air question

Hello,

I am thinking of flyer Eva Air from Seattle to Bangkok (threw Taipei).

I am debating if I should fly economy or evergreen class and I found this on the web,

"Economy Class will feature a generous 33" seat pitch & 18.3" seat width "
"Evergreen Deluxe features a 38" seat pitch & 18.5" seat width"

If the seat width is only a .2" difference and the Evergreen armrest do not raise are you better off in Economy if you have a empty seat next to you? from the numbers evergreen does not seem that great. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by jcb928
Hello,

I am thinking of flyer Eva Air from Seattle to Bangkok (threw Taipei).

I am debating if I should fly economy or evergreen class and I found this on the web,

"Economy Class will feature a generous 33" seat pitch & 18.3" seat width "
"Evergreen Deluxe features a 38" seat pitch & 18.5" seat width"

If the seat width is only a .2" difference and the Evergreen armrest do not raise are you better off in Economy if you have a empty seat next to you? from the numbers evergreen does not seem that great. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Yes, I say if you can afford the ticket, go for it. The seats are much more comfy (bigger/more leg room) and you get your own TV screen, controls on armrest to choose different movies. And, while it is no business class, it seems to me, you get slighty better service than economy class. For SEA-BKK, it seems to be about $100 difference, plus bonus miles if you care for that. And while most of the food is the same, it is better served. With that little of difference for a long haul flight, it may be worth it.

http://ffp.evaair.com/online/html/en...n/eibsa003.asp
Go to that link, and select your From/To destinations.

Last edited by UA9861; Jan 21, 2006 at 6:39 pm
Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:35 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
First of all, you wont have an empty seat next to you in Y - cos BR trips are always full. Second, don't fly this carrier in Y. I've never flown it, but I have looked 'back at it' many, many times and it's just horrendous. Packed, cramped, crowded. Sic green decor. Swore I'd never do it... as there are too many better options (UA E+, for example).

And yes, EGD is worth it. (Better than UA E+ by a landslide). In fact, BR EGD may will be the best deal across the bigger pond...buck for buck. Usually only a couple of hundred more than Y. FWIW, you do get the older Biz type seat... but the armrest doesnt move... so you cant stretch across two seats if the other seat is empty. But having said that, most of the cabins are getting old... and in need of updating. You wont go hungry. Lots of food on the tray. Service is good... IFE is not so hot. Like only 12 chanels...???? (I forgot exact number)... and its diivied up amoung several languages.

In short, EGD IS VERY WELL WORTH THE MULA IMHO!

Search, search, search... there's lots of info around here on EGD. Don't forget to scope out the Trip Report Forum for EGD too!

Cheers!
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:01 am

Programs: AC/BR/CX
Thumbs up Evergreen Deluxe! Evergreen Deluxe! Evergreen Deluxe!

I highly recommend the Evergeen Deluxe class and in fact, that's the only class I would recommend on EVA AIR's B747s.

Here is a link from EVA AIR about Evergeen Deluxe Class. It's just like an US domestic business class.

However, please keep in mind that EVA AIR is going to retire all it's passenger 747-400 aircrafts and therefore, you mind find some lackings such as the inflight entertainment system. Yet, you still got your personal TV on Evergreen Deluxe class and the seats and cabin comforts are still superb, especially with it costs only a little bit more than regular economy fares.

If you are planning to fly on EVA AIR, please go with Evergreen Deluxe!
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:10 am

Programs: EVA Gold, AA Plat, Delta
Absolutely go with the Evergreen Deluxe! I've done many of those transpacific flights to Bkk(from LAX). For the extra $250 (which comes out to $125 each way) its a no brainer for me. I've done economy once on EVA and as tvl4free mentioned you can count on it being full and you will feel like your in a cattle herd. Economy has no in-seat TV. For the money Deluxe is still, even though the cabin & seat are outdated, the best deal in the sky for those long haul flights.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:54 am
Original Poster

I have narrowed it down to two options,

Option 1,

Eva Air Evergreen deluxe is $1022 with tax (Feb 20-March20)

Great seat but from what I can see Eva's FF program is not the greatest and you do not get full credit on Continental one miles for the trip (Only Sea-Taipei)

Option 2,

NWA- $743.00 Economy but they have a great miles program for me with Alaska as a partner.Then with the refer a friend I would get a 4K mile bonus on this flight. Then I will probably fly Sea-L.A once or twice before May so I would get 3500 miles bonus on those trips too.

I am all for spending a extra money on a bigger seat but $300 and the NWA miles program is hard to pass up.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I guess you must be into pain - NW Y class ??? all that way for the miles ???

You would be better walking bare foot on broken glass than doing that for the miles.

Have you thought about trying seattle New York Bangok on Thai
Old Jan 22, 2006, 2:06 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond,SQ Gold, TG Gold, Airtran Elite
The miles on Northwest are not worth it. I fly LAX-TPE-BKK return once a week and the miles, lounges, seats, etc. all add up to a better deal.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 3:26 pm

Interesting, you only get miles on Continental for flights that originate in the US or something? I got LAX-TPE, and TPE-PNH miles credited to my OnePass account. and then DEN-LAX on my UA MP Account... interesting. Id say go with EVA EGD!
Old Jan 22, 2006, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA9861
Interesting, you only get miles on Continental for flights that originate in the US or something? I got LAX-TPE, and TPE-PNH miles credited to my OnePass account. and then DEN-LAX on my UA MP Account... interesting. Id say go with EVA EGD!

From Conti- "OnePass Elite qualification miles and points and Elite mileage bonuses may only be earned on Continental Airlines codeshare flights operated by EVA Air to/from Taipei."

Is that only elite miles? so regular miles would full credit?
Old Jan 22, 2006, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
You earn CO EQM on only EVA flights between TPE and the US that are CO codeshare (i.e. with a CO flight number). Doesn't matter if your ticket is CO or BR. This is based on ALL FTers' experience.

You earn CO Onepass miles on all EVA flights (i.e. beyond TPE).
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
You earn CO EQM on only EVA flights between TPE and the US that are CO codeshare (i.e. with a CO flight number). Doesn't matter if your ticket is CO or BR. This is based on ALL FTers' experience.

You earn CO Onepass miles on all EVA flights (i.e. beyond TPE).
I did earn onepass miles on all EVA flights, but for the LAX-TPE, TPE-LAX, I earned EQM/Points, and my booking was not under CO codeshare, it was BR flight number. But I did not get EQM on TPE-PNH, PNH-TPE though.

Is this what you were talking about? No EQM on flights unless CO codeshare.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 3:29 am

Programs: Peon extraordinaire
i have to agree with the above...Evergreen Deluxe is worth it, if only for the more comfortable, less cramped seat. one funny thing i did notice the last time i flew it (granted, that was 4 years ago, though i imagine the 744 service hasn't changed) is that the only difference between Y/EGD food is that one comes with a menu that explains it in 'fluffy' terms, while the other explains it in dull, drab turns.

also, the seattle departure time, if you're hitting the one that starts in newark, is awful...like 230am or something.

still, i'd avoid NW coach at all cost. it sucks, sucks, sucks. trust me, i've flown it more than i would ever care to admit!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by UA9861
I did earn onepass miles on all EVA flights, but for the LAX-TPE, TPE-LAX, I earned EQM/Points, and my booking was not under CO codeshare, it was BR flight number. But I did not get EQM on TPE-PNH, PNH-TPE though.

Is this what you were talking about? No EQM on flights unless CO codeshare.
Yes, exactly. Maybe I phrased it ambigiously. Again:

US-TPE: Onepass Miles + EQM (if flight is CO codeshare). Doesn't matter if your ticket or flight number is CO or BR. [Note that TPE-HNL is not a CO codeshare.]

TPE-elsewhere: Onepass Miles only.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:51 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Originally Posted by KeyManRisk
... the only difference between Y/EGD food is that one comes with a menu that explains it in 'fluffy' terms, while the other explains it in dull, drab turns.
My experience w EGD is a little different. EGD gets an appetiser that Y doesnt get. But things change...??? And YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.