Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2023, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Stopover

I am looking to book a flight on BR from Halifax to BKK and back. On the return there is over 8 hours overnight in YYZ. Would BR give me the hotel for the layover in YYZ? I have not asked them yet as normally book online.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
No they won't.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
No they won't.
Any particular reason why they don't? A lot of airlines do give stopovers when it is over 8 hours.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Davvidd
Any particular reason why they don't? A lot of airlines do give stopovers when it is over 8 hours.
Cost savings? If you want to be sure, maybe call their YYZ airport office and ask if they still do STPC.

I asked the same question here: Does BR (Eva Air) still provide transit hotel?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by username
Cost savings? If you want to be sure, maybe call their YYZ airport office and ask if they still do STPC.

I asked the same question here: Does BR (Eva Air) still provide transit hotel?
Thank you I will ask them. I do understand when passengers make a choice but if they sell their tickets with over 8 hours and a night layover I expected them to provide a hotel especially when the airport is also closed.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Many airlines, including UA, sell tix with long overnight connections and don’t offer hotel accommodation. 😊
Davvidd and BuBu4 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Many airlines, including UA, sell tix with long overnight connections and don’t offer hotel accommodation. 😊
I guess it is the middle eastern airlines that do it then? I have got a few out of QR, EK, EY and even TK. Funny even UL was doing it certainly pre pandemic. I expected BR to do it because they style themselves as the elite airlines.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, certain airlines, especially the ME3 and TK, provide a hotel for overnight connections/layovers, primarily as an incentive to book them for what would otherwise be rather inconvenient or undesirable itineraries due to the way their schedules and connecting banks are set up.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EVA used to do this at some airport (e.g. EWR and TPE) but between COVID, staff shortage and cost reduction, this is probably something low on their list to restore, if ever.
Davvidd likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 12:41 am
Original Poster

They are selling out of YHZ to BKK. The return at YYZ arrives too late for any connection so they book at the next morning. But not paying the hotel so it is not attractive to me to take that route.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:17 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
BR's flight to YYZ/IAH/JFK/ORD arrive too late for same day connections but BR is not targeting passengers connecting beyond their North American gateways, instead their focus is local passengers who are connecting in TPE to other cities in Asia. Most of the airlines that offer complementary hotel only do so in their home airport, where there is large volume of connecting passengers needing the service and the airline can negotiate favorable rates with the hotel and it becomes worthwhile effort setting up the process (booking, dealing with delays, finance etc). The economy of scale is not there for a once a day flight where only a few passengers have overnight connections so they don't really care if one passenger decide not to book them on BKK-YHZ.

Last edited by m.y; Jan 3, 2024 at 10:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.