Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Pilot union votes to strike in salary, conditions dispute (Dec 2023- )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot union votes to strike in salary, conditions dispute (Dec 2023- )

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation Pilot union votes to strike in salary, conditions dispute (Dec 2023- )

The [local] pilots are not happy with their pay and the hiring of foreign pilots. They plan to schedule a strike vote by year end.

It will be interesting to see what happens next - especially with the busy Taiwan election coming up 13 Jan (no absentee ballots so lots of people are going back to vote) and Chinese New Year 10 Feb.

Here is the news release from the union in Chinese: https://www.tup.org.tw/news/a111424b...0-65c7ece7d23e

12 December is also the anniversary for for TPE-LAX (started 1992).
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
The threat of a strike just before the Jan 13 election time, or around the Feb 10 Lunar New Year time, can bring nervousness to people. But if the pilots do actually strike during those times, people will also get angry with them. It's like US pilots threatening to strike around X-mas/NY time.

We have booked, and will like to book more travel, early next year with Eva. So we have to watch this development.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

EVA Management's response to the Union's claims: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-e...ws-evaair.html
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Did a vote happen?

Family members have travel planned in mid-January (2024) and I'm hoping it won't get disrupted.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

According to this: https://www.tup.org.tw/news/b4712b7e...c-6728975f0818

The vote ends on 4 January, it started 22 December

I guess we will know soon. I doubt the strike will happen right away but the pressure is on EVA with both the election and the Chinese New Year.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

According to this: https://www.tup.org.tw/news/2d5fef51...b-ed4db94c5692

They were supposed to count the votes on January 5th but now it is delayed until the 22nd. Reason: somehow the union was told by the government that it might not be legal for them to hold a vote for only EVA pilots - all the pilots in the union, regardless of the employer, might need to vote.

Yes, the wording is not definitive but they decided to let the non-EVA pilots vote so the legality of the result won't be questioned later. Therefore, that is happening 1/8-1/21 and the votes will be counted on the 22nd.
1262512 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

According to this: https://www.tup.org.tw/news/af862eba...2-535547e729c0

They expect to be authorized to strike and do not rule out doing this during the Chinese New Year period. However, they promise to give 24 hour notice

Vote results will be announced next Monday the 22nd.
CO-PLAT and BuBu4 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 5:17 pm

Anyone know what EVA's plans are for their passengers in the event of a strike? I got a flight with EVA on Feb 15 and March 4th; will they rebook everyone affected onto partner airlines, or will they simply provide refunds?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think they are obligated to reroute since a ticket is a contract. The problem is availability - the flights are packed in and out of TPE.

If your ticket is not issued by EVA (e.g. award ticket from another carrier), you might be better off trying to get it changed with the issuing airline once the strike is announced.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by username
I think they are obligated to reroute since a ticket is a contract. The problem is availability - the flights are packed in and out of TPE.

If your ticket is not issued by EVA (e.g. award ticket from another carrier), you might be better off trying to get it changed with the issuing airline once the strike is announced.
My ticket was issued by EVA; I'm routed YVR-TPE-SIN and back.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThePointblank
My ticket was issued by EVA; I'm routed YVR-TPE-SIN and back.
I think we will just have to see what happens. They are not going to do anything now. The other challenge is getting through to them on the phone. We will find out.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I can scarcely imagine the nightmare of dealing with this airline during a strike, considering how inaccessible they have been for the past couple of years.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:12 pm

Pilots confirmed strike vote today:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...te-2024-01-22/

Cross my fingers this doesn't happen or flights during our travel (Aeroplan points) aren't disrupted. Suggested start time is somewhere around Lunar New Year (Feb.8)
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:38 am

Just read about this.
thinking of taking BR for a longhaul in Apr but this isnt inspiring confidence.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by marbuck
Pilots confirmed strike vote today:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...te-2024-01-22/

Cross my fingers this doesn't happen or flights during our travel (Aeroplan points) aren't disrupted. Suggested start time is somewhere around Lunar New Year (Feb.8)
In the same boat, flight in early Feb to go Taiwan to celebrate CNY. Would AP re-route if flights are affected or would they just refund?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.