Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Transit time in TPE: Arriving in JX, Departing in BR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond

I'm trying my best to keep my TPE-YYZ on the 77W business cabin as it'll be a direct flight home, on a great product. However wasn't able to find a TYO-TPE flight on BR to get me to TPE on a single itinerary.

However I am able to get to TPE via JX but of course it'll be on separate tickets (booked via AS), but very unsure if it'll be a long enough layover to allow a reliable transfer, especially with checked luggage that I'm not sure can be interlined.

The flight infos are as follows:
Inbound: JX801: NRT->TPE (1:40pm -> 4:45pm)
Outbound: BR36: TPE-> YYZ (7:40pm -> 9:30pm)

iirc, JX and BR are on different terminals. Barring IROPs, JX801 on time performance history looks to be reliable (compared to AC at least...).

Given that I will be checking in luggage, is the 2h55m layover sufficient for me to pick up luggage, change terminals, and make the departing flight?
Old Oct 8, 2023, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon

iirc, JX and BR are on different terminals. Barring IROPs, JX801 on time performance history looks to be reliable

Technically, the different terminals are not because of the airlines but the destinations. T1 is used mostly for intra Asia flights while T2 is used mostly for long haul flights. CI, BR and JX all operate out of both T1 and T2.

now back to your question, you should be good barring irops and travelling on a non-holiday period. TPE immigration and luggage delivery is pretty efficient and you should be able to get through both process in around 40 minutes to 1 hr.

That leaves you about 1 hr plus to get from T1 to T2. TPE has landside air train style people mover which I believe operates at least once every 6 minutes during normal hours. You can also take a bus shuttle but I wouldn't so that as the train is probably more reliable. Then it's on to check in for BR at T2.

So you'd probably be ok, and have some leeway with a small delay or the chance that the a/c is parked on the end gates.

Enjoy JX, heard it's a really good airline (which they have to be competiting with BR and CI)
mynameisdmoon likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaOneFlyer
Technically, the different terminals are not because of the airlines but the destinations. T1 is used mostly for intra Asia flights while T2 is used mostly for long haul flights. CI, BR and JX all operate out of both T1 and T2.

now back to your question, you should be good barring irops and travelling on a non-holiday period. TPE immigration and luggage delivery is pretty efficient and you should be able to get through both process in around 40 minutes to 1 hr.

That leaves you about 1 hr plus to get from T1 to T2. TPE has landside air train style people mover which I believe operates at least once every 6 minutes during normal hours. You can also take a bus shuttle but I wouldn't so that as the train is probably more reliable. Then it's on to check in for BR at T2.

So you'd probably be ok, and have some leeway with a small delay or the chance that the a/c is parked on the end gates.

Enjoy JX, heard it's a really good airline (which they have to be competiting with BR and CI)
Thanks for the info!

and I assume TPE has a priority lane for check-in for BR J/*A Gold passengers? Is there a priority security lane as well?
Old Oct 8, 2023, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon
Thanks for the info!

and I assume TPE has a priority lane for check-in for BR J/*A Gold passengers? Is there a priority security lane as well?
​​​​​​
my pleasure! Yes they do have *A gold priority check in, they have a dedicated aisle for that, just ask one of the BR staff on site and they'll direct you.

They don't have priority security checkpoint or priority passport for business class / ff members though. If you're flying business class then try to get in on the lounge, it's day and night compared to US lounges
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Technically, the different terminals are not because of the airlines but the destinations. T1 is used mostly for intra Asia flights while T2 is used mostly for long haul flights. CI, BR and JX all operate out of both T1 and T2....
I am not sure if BR has any check in counters at T1 although I have heard sometimes the flights go in and out of T1 if T2 runs out of gates.

https://web.taoyuan-airport.com/airlines?lang=en

In any case, as others have pointed out:

1 - inbound immigration
2 - get bags/customs
3 - go to T2 to check in for BR - the little train is the best option

The train is actually pretty cool. One car is air side and one car is land side.

https://web.taoyuan-airport.com/skytrain?lang=en

Last edited by username; Oct 9, 2023 at 6:43 am
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by username
I am not sure if BR has any check in counters at T1
You're right, they only operate out of T2. Somehow (incorrectly) thought the Asia vs NA/EUR terminal separation for CI and JX applies to BR too.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 11:08 am

I have a similar dilemma, except going in the opposite direction. Flying LAX-TPE on JX, then separate ticket to HAN on BR. If I don't have any check-in luggage, will I still have to clear customs/immigration and check-in landside?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by husky96821
I have a similar dilemma, except going in the opposite direction. Flying LAX-TPE on JX, then separate ticket to HAN on BR. If I don't have any check-in luggage, will I still have to clear customs/immigration and check-in landside?
You should be fine. There is a BR transfer counter at T2 prior to immigration. Just go there and they will probably be able to check you in for your flight. I am assuming JX from LAX will land in T2. If not, just walk to T2 from T1 when you land, they are connected prior to immigration.

Is there a reason beside time saving that you don't want to clear customs and check-in landside? I ask because the agent at LAX may potentially give you trouble if you are not eligible to enter TW, as your connecting ticket is with another airline (and that other airline happen to be the one that gave their ceo the boot from his last job lol, probably irrelevant though)
username likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:41 am

You should be fine. There is a BR transfer counter at T2 prior to immigration. Just go there and they will probably be able to check you in for your flight. I am assuming JX from LAX will land in T2. If not, just walk to T2 from T1 when you land, they are connected prior to immigration.

Is there a reason beside time saving that you don't want to clear customs and check-in landside? I ask because the agent at LAX may potentially give you trouble if you are not eligible to enter TW, as your connecting ticket is with another airline (and that other airline happen to be the one that gave their ceo the boot from his last job lol, probably irrelevant though)
Primarily for ease and saving time as I'll be traveling with 2 kids under 10 with an expected layover of about 3.5 hours.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by husky96821
Primarily for ease and saving time as I'll be traveling with 2 kids under 10 with an expected layover of about 3.5 hours.
​​​​​​I see as long as you have eligibility to enter Taiwan I think you'll be fine. Enjoy the trip and I believe one of the boarding gate has a mini playground, at least when I was there a couple years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.