Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Help! SA Ticketed award flight tomorrow cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2023, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF P1, OZ Diamond

Hi,

I'm usually pretty good at knowing what to do in most cancelled flight situations, but this has me stumped.

I'm flying KIX-TPE-HKG tomorrow with BR on flights booked with SA Voyager miles. My TPE-HKG flight has been cancelled and it appears most BR flights TPE-HKG are cancelled tomorrow. I'm connecting onto an EK flight ex HKG at 00:35 on the 2nd tomorrow, so I really need to find a way to HKG tomorrow.

It appears that BR does not have a 24 hour call centre, which is very frustrating. I managed to get hold of someone by calling the Netherlands office phone number (I tried a lot of European offices before this one answered), but they were not any help at all, and suggested that I call the Osaka office (which is closed) or SA, who aren't able to do much as there is limited award availability. Is there anything I can do tonight to be rebooked, or will I need to wait until the morning? The first BR flight leaves KIX at 11:10 tomorrow, so I figure the check in desks should be staffed from around 08:00 (I'm thinking my best bet will be to go to the airport to find a solution).

What are my reasonable options here? There are plenty of flights TPE-HKG still operating with CI and CX, and there are even several direct options KIX-HKG with CX. Are BR likely to rebook my award ticket onto another airline? Can I expect airport staff to direct me to speak to SA to resolve? I had already checked in on this flight before it was cancelled if that helps BR take control of the ticket.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Old Aug 31, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by rfarlz
Hi,

I'm usually pretty good at knowing what to do in most cancelled flight situations, but this has me stumped.

I'm flying KIX-TPE-HKG tomorrow with BR on flights booked with SA Voyager miles. My TPE-HKG flight has been cancelled and it appears most BR flights TPE-HKG are cancelled tomorrow. I'm connecting onto an EK flight ex HKG at 00:35 on the 2nd tomorrow, so I really need to find a way to HKG tomorrow.

It appears that BR does not have a 24 hour call centre, which is very frustrating. I managed to get hold of someone by calling the Netherlands office phone number (I tried a lot of European offices before this one answered), but they were not any help at all, and suggested that I call the Osaka office (which is closed) or SA, who aren't able to do much as there is limited award availability. Is there anything I can do tonight to be rebooked, or will I need to wait until the morning? The first BR flight leaves KIX at 11:10 tomorrow, so I figure the check in desks should be staffed from around 08:00 (I'm thinking my best bet will be to go to the airport to find a solution).

What are my reasonable options here? There are plenty of flights TPE-HKG still operating with CI and CX, and there are even several direct options KIX-HKG with CX. Are BR likely to rebook my award ticket onto another airline? Can I expect airport staff to direct me to speak to SA to resolve? I had already checked in on this flight before it was cancelled if that helps BR take control of the ticket.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
The cancellations are due to Super Typhoon Saola which is about to hit Hong Kong. A T8 signal has been raised, potentially T10 (highest on the scale). Other than the earliest flights tomorrow, expect all flights to cancel tomorrow, including the CI and CX ones. If they haven't shown cancelled yet, it's because they haven't processed them yet into the system. Also in the mix is Typhoon Haikui which is about to hit Taiwan. Unfortunately, even BR's hands are gonna be tied here as Hong Kong airport will likely be closed tomorrow. I would look to see if there is a KIX-HKG direct, but it will likely be cash out of pocket.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Looks like your EK flight (which I presume is on a separate ticket) is also cancelled. Is DXB your final destination?

BR tends to be quite passive when it comes to IRROPS rebooking. Don't count on being automatically rebooked behind the scenes. There's no online tool that I know of, and call centre agents are quite powerless, if you get through to them in the first place. If you're still planning on getting to HKG, only the airport staff at KIX can help at this point.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by rfarlz
Hi,

Ryan
This is SA-issued award ticket? BR will ask you to contact SA. Not sure it is BR's responsibility to rebook you to CX. SA should do it.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by sfo3388
This is SA-issued award ticket? BR will ask you to contact SA. Not sure it is BR's responsibility to rebook you to CX. SA should do it.
If it's close to departure, the operating carrier that caused the disruption is the one responsible for rebooking.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF P1, OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
The cancellations are due to Super Typhoon Saola which is about to hit Hong Kong. A T8 signal has been raised, potentially T10 (highest on the scale). Other than the earliest flights tomorrow, expect all flights to cancel tomorrow, including the CI and CX ones. If they haven't shown cancelled yet, it's because they haven't processed them yet into the system. Also in the mix is Typhoon Haikui which is about to hit Taiwan. Unfortunately, even BR's hands are gonna be tied here as Hong Kong airport will likely be closed tomorrow. I would look to see if there is a KIX-HKG direct, but it will likely be cash out of pocket.
Thanks, this turned out to be correct, CX cancelled most of their flights this morning.

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Looks like your EK flight (which I presume is on a separate ticket) is also cancelled. Is DXB your final destination?

BR tends to be quite passive when it comes to IRROPS rebooking. Don't count on being automatically rebooked behind the scenes. There's no online tool that I know of, and call centre agents are quite powerless, if you get through to them in the first place. If you're still planning on getting to HKG, only the airport staff at KIX can help at this point.
Passive is a great way to describe BR in my experience here! The airport staff were very helpful though. They did indicate that they would have rebooked me on CX had those flights not also been cancelled.

Originally Posted by sfo3388
In my experience with irrops it's the operating carrier's responsibility to rebook pax, there's very little SA could have done here.

Originally Posted by SilverChris
If it's close to departure, the operating carrier that caused the disruption is the one responsible for rebooking.
Agree

Ultimately my EK flight was also cancelled, I managed to get EK to rebook me to fly from KIX, which was really the best result I could have hoped for.
SilverChris and LEON_ like this.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 4:27 am

I am glad that things worked out.
The wind is really picking up now in HK now, and Emirates is more than happy to accommodate you form KIX nonstop to Dubai.
With the UK schools reopening, EK's flights between HKG and DXB are full to begin with, and with two cancelled A380 flights plus BA plus CX, they will be happy to accommodate you. I am glad that their agents are able to do so. They look more flexible than Qatar!

Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.