Checkin in SIN for BKK-LHR

Old Dec 29, 2022, 11:18 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Posts: 1,604
Checkin in SIN for BKK-LHR

I'm hedging my bets here, so this is a bit of a crosspost from the Thailand forum but with a different question. Bear with me, this is medium-complex (which is FT low-complex I realize)

Next July.
Three pax flying SIN-BKK-LHR on SQ708-BR67. All in J.
Two pax booked SIN-BKK-LHR as a single PNR on an award ticket.
One pax booked SIN-BKK as a single PNR on an award ticket, and I want to book her on BR67 as paid J.
All three pax need to travel together. I am not one of these pax.
All pax EU citizens, the problematic one is also Irish. Visas not an issue.
All pax fully vaccinated. No issues with that.

So here's the question: When we show up at SIN, can we go over to the BR counter and get checked in for the BKK-LHR segment so we have a boarding pass and the third pax does not need to go through Thai immigration and recheck?
I would also do it online, but for the sake of document checking I think it's safest to have a human involved. Or at least sign off on the process.

Is this something we can attempt, or will it be a "no" from BR and we need to recheck in BKK? I'm supposing at this point that the transfer counters are not open and so it won't be a simple process to do this at BKK.
DJ Bitterbarn is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:03 am
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Posts: 1,604
Going to reply to this rather than edit because I have somewhat of an answer. But the answer is not just "yes". According to the other thread, the counter is open. But before that:

Phoned BR at SIN yesterday and they confirmed that it should be possible... but it would be SQ doing the checkin. Great. Phoned up SQ.
SQ declared that it's not possible to check in for another carrier in any circumstances. Apparently the boarding pass needs to match the metal. Or something.
I should have just hung up, but I asked what they would do to check in the other two pax on the single PNR. Apparently they can't, and it needs to be BR doing the checkin.
So for now I'm going to believe BR because their info doesn't contradict the most basic components of an airline alliance that I've done multiple times, including on the airline that says it's not possible.

Unless anyone has any info about actually doing this, which would be even better.
DJ Bitterbarn is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:21 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Programs: Statusless and proud
Posts: 7,582
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
Going to reply to this rather than edit because I have somewhat of an answer. But the answer is not just "yes". According to the other thread, the counter is open. But before that:

Phoned BR at SIN yesterday and they confirmed that it should be possible... but it would be SQ doing the checkin. Great. Phoned up SQ.
SQ declared that it's not possible to check in for another carrier in any circumstances. Apparently the boarding pass needs to match the metal. Or something.
I should have just hung up, but I asked what they would do to check in the other two pax on the single PNR. Apparently they can't, and it needs to be BR doing the checkin.
So for now I'm going to believe BR because their info doesn't contradict the most basic components of an airline alliance that I've done multiple times, including on the airline that says it's not possible.

Unless anyone has any info about actually doing this, which would be even better.
I can't give you specifics on this other than with interline partners, I've generally been able to get the boarding passes. That doesn't help much in your situation obviously. If you're concerned about the third person missing the flight due to immigration/rechecking, I would recommend having one of the other two passengers take the third bag and check it under their name at SIN, so at least it's one less headache in the process.
JayhawkCO is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:33 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Posts: 1,604
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I can't give you specifics on this other than with interline partners, I've generally been able to get the boarding passes. That doesn't help much in your situation obviously. If you're concerned about the third person missing the flight due to immigration/rechecking, I would recommend having one of the other two passengers take the third bag and check it under their name at SIN, so at least it's one less headache in the process.
The good news here is that there will be MAX one checked bag. We're going out with no checked bags (I finally won this argument, he said naively as if the matter could be settled before literally going through security). I'm mostly concerned that adding an immigration/security even in J with no luggage could be a challenge. But I gather the transfer security is now open? We're still going to try checking in at the BR counter at SIN AND at the SQ counter as well as online the night before (staying at the airport anyway to do the Tourist thing at the Jewel with the kids) so fingers crossed! But thank you!
DJ Bitterbarn is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:17 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Programs: Statusless and proud
Posts: 7,582
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
The good news here is that there will be MAX one checked bag. We're going out with no checked bags (I finally won this argument, he said naively as if the matter could be settled before literally going through security). I'm mostly concerned that adding an immigration/security even in J with no luggage could be a challenge. But I gather the transfer security is now open? We're still going to try checking in at the BR counter at SIN AND at the SQ counter as well as online the night before (staying at the airport anyway to do the Tourist thing at the Jewel with the kids) so fingers crossed! But thank you!
I haven't flown BR (yet; I have a flight booked in June), but is online check-in not an option? It seems to be doable from the website.
JayhawkCO is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:17 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 574
i gave a hypothetical situation to the TPE rep where i asked i was to fly EVA to Japan, then ANA to the states on different PNR, would he be able to do it? he told me yes, as long as the airline is part of the same alliance, they can.
didnt actually try it though so this is just based off his words.
BuBu4 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 2022, 12:14 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Posts: 1,604
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I haven't flown BR (yet; I have a flight booked in June), but is online check-in not an option? It seems to be doable from the website.
Online checkin should be an option, yes. I usually just do that now anyway, but with the whole "international travel Asia>EU and vaccine confirmations/immigration info" sometimes I get a bit overly paranoid. We've had some fun with this in the past (see: agents not knowing what countries are part of the EU)

Originally Posted by BuBu4
i gave a hypothetical situation to the TPE rep where i asked i was to fly EVA to Japan, then ANA to the states on different PNR, would he be able to do it? he told me yes, as long as the airline is part of the same alliance, they can.
didnt actually try it though so this is just based off his words.
EVA at SIN directly was super helpful. I suspect if I go there the night before the flight they'll help me out anyway. She looked up the PNR of the other pax and said it would be fine.
SQ.... did not give me the warm fuzzies about how easy this would be.
DJ Bitterbarn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.