Wiki Posts
Search

BR Facing Internal Crisis

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
BR Facing Internal Crisis

Following the strike, BR has lost roughly 10% of it’s ground staff workforce (airport and call center) and around 10% if it’s FAs. The 2018 class of GA’s is now down to a mere 3/18 left. In September, BR lost 7 CPs, a significantly higher number than historically seen.

BR also lost approximately 7% of their Diamond card and gold card members this summer, with many switching to other *A programs out of what was described internally as a “dissatisfaction in service” with “deteriorating standards”. In their survey polls, the airline has seen a decrease in service satisfaction amongst FFs and the “recommendation score” becoming lower and lower.

The airline is currently short of ground staff, but ok on FA staffing due to “overstaffing” that they experienced in previous years. Employee turnover is currently at near all-time high, and they are struggling to boost morale amongst its workforce.

There is significant tension amongst working groups as well. In the most recent case, a pilot went to sue FAs for what he described as harassment following their strike. Pilots and FAs currently do not get along at all. The ground staff and mechanics have also been dealing with tensions between them and the FAs. FAs have been complaining that GAs are sometimes rude and snappy at them, especially at outstations. For those that have access to staff travel, GAs used to upgrade FAs whenever able, but that has not been the case anymore.

FAs themselves have started to protest what they describe as “retaliation” by the company. Recently, they complained that the company refused to honor their scheduling requests, have not restored staff travel, and has reduced staffing on widebody flights to a near minimum level.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Following the strike, BR has lost roughly 10% of it’s ground staff workforce (airport and call center) and around 10% if it’s FAs. The 2018 class of GA’s is now down to a mere 3/18 left. In September, BR lost 7 CPs, a significantly higher number than historically seen.

BR also lost approximately 7% of their Diamond card and gold card members this summer, with many switching to other *A programs out of what was described internally as a “dissatisfaction in service” with “deteriorating standards”. In their survey polls, the airline has seen a decrease in service satisfaction amongst FFs and the “recommendation score” becoming lower and lower.

The airline is currently short of ground staff, but ok on FA staffing due to “overstaffing” that they experienced in previous years. Employee turnover is currently at near all-time high, and they are struggling to boost morale amongst its workforce.

There is significant tension amongst working groups as well. In the most recent case, a pilot went to sue FAs for what he described as harassment following their strike. Pilots and FAs currently do not get along at all. The ground staff and mechanics have also been dealing with tensions between them and the FAs. FAs have been complaining that GAs are sometimes rude and snappy at them, especially at outstations. For those that have access to staff travel, GAs used to upgrade FAs whenever able, but that has not been the case anymore.

FAs themselves have started to protest what they describe as “retaliation” by the company. Recently, they complained that the company refused to honor their scheduling requests, have not restored staff travel, and has reduced staffing on widebody flights to a near minimum level.
Another crisis is that internal dirt like this get reported on the Internet

Did some of them go to StarLux? Otherwise, where would they go?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by username

The two I know one in KHH and one in TPE found non airline jobs then quit (both got better pay, which they reason is better than the loss of travel benefits)
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Some went to Starlux, other moved on to other careers. Turnover has been very high, especially amongst the senior GA's and the fresh ones.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic

How do they quantify losing Diamond/Gold Card members? Is it just the number of CDs/CGs who didn't get renewal that quarter? Maybe some of them couldn't handle renewal/upgrade targets because of the strike.

Regarding FA upgrades on staff travel, are you talking about ID/ZED travel or PNC? ID/ZED should depend on the class purchased (though RL is really expensive for FAs), and they'll only get upgraded/downgraded if there's overbooking.

Though I'm pro-FA in general, I think the FAs (especially strikers) should stop complaining. They can already request DO and flights and have access to ZED travel sans BR. Additionally, those who had AL during the strike had their ALs returned and replaced w/STI, so they can use their "extra" AL when they need a day off this year.

As for those who came back halfway through, they have ZED AND ID (except ID00). They can request DO, and should be able to request flights next month (assuming they had C_L during the days they striked).

Adding to your list of internal strife, I think the FAs themselves are fighting amongst themselves. The union sent out letters to FAs who didn't participate in the strike to ask for their reasoning or face "consequences"--whatever that means.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum

Fire all of the FA and train new group and I am sure customers will return.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
How do they quantify losing Diamond/Gold Card members? Is it just the number of CDs/CGs who didn't get renewal that quarter? Maybe some of them couldn't handle renewal/upgrade targets because of the strike.
You send a survey ask why these Diamond and Gold members did not fly this summer and they give you the response.

I would not say all the lost were due to FAs (but mostly were as they are the ones interacting with the customers the most). I believe EVA's March fare rule change played a role as well.

Just took BR flights the past weekend, service non existent other than serving meals (and it's cold cut sandwich or cookies with no selection due to short flight to OKA). On the way out, no tea or coffee service. On the way back, you want water? They tell you we will bring the trolley over at the end to collect your dish and you can get it then... I know OKA is a short flight, but you are not warming any food or take a long time to get the meal service finished. Duty free sales also non-existent even when you said it before boarding starts. Sorry, go buy it at the ground.

It's like you don't know what they were doing on board other than pulling the trolley out twice and go through the meals.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
You send a survey ask why these Diamond and Gold members did not fly this summer and they give you the response.

I would not say all the lost were due to FAs (but mostly were as they are the ones interacting with the customers the most). I believe EVA's March fare rule change played a role as well.

Just took BR flights the past weekend, service non existent other than serving meals (and it's cold cut sandwich or cookies with no selection due to short flight to OKA). On the way out, no tea or coffee service. On the way back, you want water? They tell you we will bring the trolley over at the end to collect your dish and you can get it then... I know OKA is a short flight, but you are not warming any food or take a long time to get the meal service finished. Duty free sales also non-existent even when you said it before boarding starts. Sorry, go buy it at the ground.

It's like you don't know what they were doing on board other than pulling the trolley out twice and go through the meals.
Service has been piss-poor this whole year. Flight attendants are as surly as ever, and some feel emboldened by the strike. It's very sad what the airline has become.

In March, BR had a near heart attack with the new fare buckets after they nearly lost some of their major corporate contracts out of unhappiness over seat selection.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Due to the fact you can change your job every month in Taiwan due to there being virtually no unemployment. The arrogance of EVA management is legendary and I always said it would be their downfall.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maball
Due to the fact you can change your job every month in Taiwan due to there being virtually no unemployment. The arrogance of EVA management is legendary and I always said it would be their downfall.
You might be able to change job in TW every month but at what pay level?

BR Management had a lot of valid points with the strike. Yes, they are conservative, strict, etc. However, I think the pay is above average and benefits are good. So, the fact a lot of people are leaving is not good.

Well, as some of us worried, the company will take a long long time to recover from strike, if ever.

I have not flown BR for a long time until a few weeks ago and thought things did not look "strange".
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by maball
Ah, here you are again. Still waiting for your source on 'Government instructs BR....' Until then I would assume you are part of the FA union and take your comment with a huge grain of salt.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:11 pm
Suspended

You might be able to change job in TW every month but at what pay level?

BR Management had a lot of valid points with the strike. Yes, they are conservative, strict, etc. However, I think the pay is above average and benefits are good. So, the fact a lot of people are leaving is not good.

Well, as some of us worried, the company will take a long long time to recover from strike, if ever.

I have not flown BR for a long time until a few weeks ago and thought things did not look "strange".

Well thats says it all really you said - However, I think , just like all the posts on here who dont have direct access to true information. The way management at EVA treat themselves like they are still living in the MING dynasty, its a matter of time before they get bitten back.

Here is just another example.If you live in Taiwan its really easy to see and hear whats really going on. EVA Air flight attendants pan treatment since strike - Taipei Times

To bearchemist I was sure I posted the news report. If I can find time I promise I will dig it out and post it on here as well.

Rest assured I have nothing to do with crews or FA but I do have first hand experience of dealing with this bunch of elites who think rules dont apply to them and their farts dont smell.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Service has been piss-poor this whole year. Flight attendants are as surly as ever, and some feel emboldened by the strike. .
Glad i'm not the only one who has noticed this, my last two BR flights have had some FAs with some serious attitude issues.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
I wonder why those who strike seem surprised that other workgroups are mad at them once they come back to work. They were the ones that had to suffer through your selfishness, why are you surprised?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold
Service has been piss-poor this whole year. Flight attendants are as surly as ever, and some feel emboldened by the strike. It's very sad what the airline has become.

Very true. My parents (BR diamonds) were very upset. Unfortunately they don't have a lot of options as they fly out of Taipei a lot. They will probably fly CX when the HK situation dies down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.