Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance upgrade issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Star Alliance upgrade issue

Hi all,

I just used the Star Alliance upgrade page

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...rdUpgrade.aspx

Filled out the form with the info to upgrade my friend using MY United miles on that page. I got to the page where it said upgrade was available and clicked the “upgrade” button. Clicked tha button and got to the next page where it had a “Confirm and continue” button. Clicked on that and got to an error page that had only “!” and a back button. Went back and forth and never worked.

I went to my United account info page and it showed a deduction of 30,000 miles with my friends name listed and immediately aboive that a redeposit of 30,000 miles.

I called United and they didn’t have a clue. My friend called EVA and they didn’t have an upgrade.

Can anyone one tell me what happened? Is there anything else I can do?

thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People on the UA forum might be able to answer this better. However, if I have to guess, my guess is that:

1 - UA's system sees availability
2 - When you commit to the transaction, UA's system requests the space from BR's system
3 - BR's system rejected the request because the space is not really / no longer there

These things are dynamic and airlines have various levels of availability display on others systems. I don't know it well enough to explain it though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.