Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Multi city travel from IAH to China and Taiwan at end of May early June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi Flyertalk -

Sorry, have been looking all over online, called united, called EVA, called AMEX travel....don't know what the easiest and cheapest way to put together a travel plan is and didn't see a FAQ section here for a newbie to get started.....would appreciate any tips or pointing in the right direction

Remember seeing some stuff here and there about using UA miles for EVA flights and for business on EVA for reasonable points but can't find a solution...

Looking for travel from Houston IAH to Shanghai PVG, Beijing PEK, and Taipei TPE and then back home. Strongly prefer the IAH TPE nonstop flight, and have AMEX MR points as well as United miles.

Couldn't redeem directly on EVA, couldn't find anything on United for multicity, even amex travel site is hard to negotiate.

Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Allow me to be blunt.

You wanted a premium class redemption within weeks of travel? And during a peak season? Good luck.

There is a tip I can give it to you - try searching segment by segment first.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

haha, blunt is fine. I'm new to searching these multi city legs, and completely fine with economy. (Just also remember seeing something about some good redemption value for premium)

If I'm just trying to go economy, is it best to search EVA or United or Amex travel? Just jumping back and forth between different websites and different options and feeling like I'm not making any progress....
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
If I'm just trying to go economy, is it best to search EVA or United or Amex travel? Just jumping back and forth between different websites and different options and feeling like I'm not making any progress....
Your problem exists because you searched for the entire trip.

Instead, you should search segment by segment. In that case, you will know which has the best option and which segment is the one making you headache.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Hi Flyertalk -

Sorry, have been looking all over online, called united, called EVA, called AMEX travel....don't know what the easiest and cheapest way to put together a travel plan is and didn't see a FAQ section here for a newbie to get started.....would appreciate any tips or pointing in the right direction

Remember seeing some stuff here and there about using UA miles for EVA flights and for business on EVA for reasonable points but can't find a solution...

Looking for travel from Houston IAH to Shanghai PVG, Beijing PEK, and Taipei TPE and then back home. Strongly prefer the IAH TPE nonstop flight, and have AMEX MR points as well as United miles.

Couldn't redeem directly on EVA, couldn't find anything on United for multicity, even amex travel site is hard to negotiate.

Thanks!
Good luck trying to find seats.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:28 am

If you are redeeming UA miles, just search UA site. What show up on other site is irrelevant.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi Flyertalk -

Thanks!
Newbe? You have been an FTer for over 3 years! Yes, this is the kind of thing that takes someone with years of knowledge to optimize. There are a lot of posts on FT over the years on this kind of thing that OP should review. Use Google to search.

The right forums on FT are probably the AMEX and UA Forums as your miles / points are with them. Without knowing how much you have in each, it is hard to say what you should do. Ideally, use the UA for USA-Asia-USA + the UA Excursionist Perk for PEK-TPE. Then buy a cheap PEK-SHA ticket. Be open to flying other *A carriers also.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh...Mid-May is the time when the students here start to go back to Asia for the summer. Then later in June/early July is when the students there get out of school and head to North America for the summer. So, availability is a lot worse.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
IAH-PEK (CA) stop, PEK-SHA (by rail since only 1 stop over), SHA/PVG-TPE, Than TPE-NRT-IAH (NH) or TPE-PEK-IAH.(CA)

BR has stopped releasing Business seats out of IAH for about a year. Even if you find a seat it's rarely 1 seat and on an off day.

BR has been running cheap Buy 3 get 1 business class tickets at 3k-3500 depending on the travel date. Through a travel agency of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.