Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Asiana Flight Miles can't be used to renew or upgrade membership status for EVA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana Flight Miles can't be used to renew or upgrade membership status for EVA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

My wife is a EVA gold card member, she is planning to fly Asiana on her next trip. I called EVA Los Angeles Office and asked if her Asiana Flight Mile will count toward renewing her gold card status and was told NO.

EVA website - Infinity MileageLands - Earned Mileage - EVA Uni page stated that flight miles from Star Alliance members can be used toward renewal membership status.

However, on the Membership Benefits - Tiers and Privileges page, under Terms and Conditions, it says that mileage earned from Star Alliance members can't be used toward renewal or upgrade of membership status?

So, is it true that mileage earned on Asiana Airlines can't be used to renew the membership status?

Pop
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Renewal and upgrade using sectors require them to be flown on EVA Air/Uni Air metal. However, Star Alliance partner miles do affect your renewal and upgrade count.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Oct 24, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by mikemontri
My wife is a EVA gold card member, she is planning to fly Asiana on her next trip. I called EVA Los Angeles Office and asked if her Asiana Flight Mile will count toward renewing her gold card status and was told NO.

EVA website - Infinity MileageLands - Earned Mileage - EVA Uni page stated that flight miles from Star Alliance members can be used toward renewal membership status.

However, on the Membership Benefits - Tiers and Privileges page, under Terms and Conditions, it says that mileage earned from Star Alliance members can't be used toward renewal or upgrade of membership status?

So, is it true that mileage earned on Asiana Airlines can't be used to renew the membership status?

Pop
  • Star Alliance flight sectors cannot be credited toward membership upgrades and renewals.

Flight mileage earned on Asiana Airlines can be credited toward membership upgrades and renewals on EVA IML. Only flight sectors cannot be credited.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Seems like the LA office is misinformed. @asiadxer is right and you're in luck!

Star Alliance miles can be used toward renewal or qualification. Anecdotally, I earned my Diamond Card primarily through non-EVA Air Star Alliance flights.

Fwiw, the initial six sectors for Silver need to be on BR, and this is the only time flying BR is required for IML status, but your scenario is already past that qualification.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Thank you all.

What does it it mean by “only flight sectors cannot be credited?”

Pop
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Here is the text that the customer service in LA referred me to when she said that only mileage earned on EVA flights can be counted toward membership renewal or upgrade

Within the current Gold Card status: Renewal Requirement
  • 80,000 miles on qualifying international flights OR traveled on 80 or more qualifying EVA Air/UNI Air international flights
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by mikemontri
Here is the text that the customer service in LA referred me to when she said that only mileage earned on EVA flights can be counted toward membership renewal or upgrade

Within the current Gold Card status: Renewal Requirement
  • 80,000 miles on qualifying international flights OR traveled on 80 or more qualifying EVA Air/UNI Air international flights
Gold Card status can be renewed either by :
  • Accumulating 80,000 miles on qualifying EVA and Star Alliance international flights or
  • Taking 80 flight segments/sectors on EVA/Uni Air only international flights

Which means that you cannot credit Asiana flight segments/sectors towards the 80 flights required for status renewal. However you can credit Asiana flight mileage towards the 80,000 miles required.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:16 am

Can confirm that star alliance miles counts towards renewal and upgrade. Earned most of miles from star alliance partners.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:24 pm
msm

Confirming what others have said. I upgraded from EVA Silver to EVA Gold using miles flown on Asiana.

Do be advised that 1.) as others have said, star alliance travel counts for miles flown not sectors. I'm guessing almost everyone upgrades by miles rather than sectors, so probably a non-issue, and 2.) not all fare codes will give miles on EVA. It is possible the op contacted EVA, shared their *a flight's fair code, and that was not eligible. It is worth double checking.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the answers. She is flying business U class which will give her 100% mileage. She used to fly EVA business and get 125% mileage.

Happy Halloween!

pop
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: UA MM, SPG LT Plat,
Originally Posted by asiadxer
Gold Card status can be renewed either by :
  • Accumulating 80,000 miles on qualifying EVA and Star Alliance international flights or......
  • However you can credit Asiana flight mileage towards the 80,000 miles required.
Do miles earned from domestic-US flying on United count?

Thanks

sylaw72
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by sylaw72
Do miles earned from domestic-US flying on United count?

Thanks

sylaw72
I wondered about this as well because the wording is confusing. From my experience, miles from domestic US on UA does count towards renewal/upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.