Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Am I entitled to any compensation when airline cancels and re-books me themselves?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I entitled to any compensation when airline cancels and re-books me themselves?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Hey everyone,

I recently flew from ORD-HKG-ORD through EVA Air. My original ticket dates were Sep 13 - Sep 20. However, on Sep 8, EVA sent me a very short email saying that my return flight on the 20th has been canceled and that I've been re-booked for the next flight on the 21st. They did not offer me any reasons. In fact, they didn't even apologize and the email was very terse. Since it was too close to my trip dates, there weren't a lot of feasible alternatives either. When I called them (which btw took me several attempts cos none of their US numbers seemed to be working or staffed for) and finally managed to get hold of someone a couple days later, they offered to either cancel and refund fully or let me choose a different date. Since I had be back in the states for work on the 21st and there weren't any good alternatives so close to the flying dates, I chose to re-book for the same flight on the 19th.

They did not offer me any compensation even after raising the issue at every EVA check in counter I passed through. I would like to know if I am eligible for compensation under Involuntary boarding rules or other similar rules of the DoT where the airline cancels your ticket themselves. Would also like to know if my agreeing to re-book for the previous day precludes me from pursuing them for compensation.

I apologize if this is the wrong sub-forum. If this needs to submitted elsewhere, please let me know and I'll do so promptly.

thank you in advance.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:50 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by jinxeddeep
Hey everyone,

I recently flew from ORD-HKG-ORD through EVA Air. My original ticket dates were Sep 13 - Sep 20. However, on Sep 8, EVA sent me a very short email saying that my return flight on the 20th has been canceled and that I've been re-booked for the next flight on the 21st. They did not offer me any reasons. In fact, they didn't even apologize and the email was very terse. Since it was too close to my trip dates, there weren't a lot of feasible alternatives either. When I called them (which btw took me several attempts cos none of their US numbers seemed to be working or staffed for) and finally managed to get hold of someone a couple days later, they offered to either cancel and refund fully or let me choose a different date. Since I had be back in the states for work on the 21st and there weren't any good alternatives so close to the flying dates, I chose to re-book for the same flight on the 19th.

They did not offer me any compensation even after raising the issue at every EVA check in counter I passed through. I would like to know if I am eligible for compensation under Involuntary boarding rules or other similar rules of the DoT where the airline cancels your ticket themselves. Would also like to know if my agreeing to re-book for the previous day precludes me from pursuing them for compensation.

I apologize if this is the wrong sub-forum. If this needs to submitted elsewhere, please let me know and I'll do so promptly.

thank you in advance.
Happy to move your thread to the Eva Air Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:51 pm

My flight on 9/14 was cancelled due to Hurricane Talim. They offered to rebook me on 9/18, and I said that was too late. After offering to reroute me through Hong Kong on another airline, I eventually got them to put me on a Korean Air flight.

You would have to know the reason for cancellation in order to determine if you are entitled to compensation. If your original flight went, then it would obviously be an over-booking situation. In my case it was weather, and no compensation is due.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
This is not considered an overbooking or an IDB.

1. You were offered alternatives.
2. When you called, they allowed you to switch to a different date(and you said no to their alternative)

IIRC, they reduced frequency on the ORD flights so they cancelled a bunch.

So based on what you have given, you will get nothing.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richmke
My flight on 9/14 was cancelled due to Hurricane Talim. They offered to rebook me on 9/18, and I said that was too late. After offering to reroute me through Hong Kong on another airline, I eventually got them to put me on a Korean Air flight.

You would have to know the reason for cancellation in order to determine if you are entitled to compensation. If your original flight went, then it would obviously be an over-booking situation. In my case it was weather, and no compensation is due.
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
This is not considered an overbooking or an IDB.

1. You were offered alternatives.
2. When you called, they allowed you to switch to a different date(and you said no to their alternative)

IIRC, they reduced frequency on the ORD flights so they cancelled a bunch.

So based on what you have given, you will get nothing.
dayumm....i feared as much!

thank you for responding guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.