TPE Layover

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:24 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
TPE Layover

Hello,

I'm booking a ticket to HKG on Eva. It looks like I have the option to extend my layover in TPE up to 12h. Is that enough time to get in to the city and see a few ... whatever there is to see? Is there somewhere to store my handbags while I do so?

Many thanks -
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by TBD
Hello,

I'm booking a ticket to HKG on Eva. It looks like I have the option to extend my layover in TPE up to 12h. Is that enough time to get in to the city and see a few ... whatever there is to see? Is there somewhere to store my handbags while I do so?

Many thanks -
Is the 12 hours during the day? What do you want to do? You have enough time. There are baggage storage facilities (modest fee) in the arrivals area. There is a train service into town. Then you could take the subway or a taxi. Some people might be interested in the National Palace Museum, others the Taipei 101 observation area.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
12 hours is plenty of time to go into Taipei and come back. You can take a taxi (~40 minutes) or the new MRT. As long as you can get your luggage stored, go for it!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:09 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Fantastic, thanks! Yes - 12h during the day.
I appreciate your feedback.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:08 am

12 hours is a lot of time, you can definitely go for it.

The information about luggage storage is here, unfortunately in Chinese only (the English version is missing most of it): http://www.taoyuan-airport.com/chinese/arrival_baggage

Storage in the public area of the airport costs 40-80 TWD for every 3 hours, depending on the size (sum of dimensions). There are 2 such facilities in each terminal.

There is also a way to store your luggage without the need to go through customs with it, which costs 200-300 TWD per day, depending on the weight of your bag.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:23 am
TBD
Original Poster

To add - layover is about 6a to 6p. I'll be all over wikitravel for planning, but if anyone has some good recos, please feel free to chime in ...

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
12 hours is a lot of time, you can definitely go for it.

The information about luggage storage is here, unfortunately in Chinese only (the English version is missing most of it): http://www.taoyuan-airport.com/chinese/arrival_baggage

Storage in the public area of the airport costs 40-80 TWD for every 3 hours, depending on the size (sum of dimensions). There are 2 such facilities in each terminal.

There is also a way to store your luggage without the need to go through customs with it, which costs 200-300 TWD per day, depending on the weight of your bag.
Also very helpful, thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, WS Silver, UA Silver
The Taiwan Airport Tourist Center offers a free half day tour from the airport. One in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Info at:
http://eng.taiwan.net.tw/tour/index.htm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Yes, plenty of time... If MRT is still running a promo, you can get a roundtrip MRT ticket for very little money... MRT stops at Taipei Main (train station) and you can MRT (subway) to places like Taipei 101 if you want to play tourist.

Google Map is very accurate in Taipei, so you can reply on its route suggestions on public transit.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:57 am

[..wrong thread..]

Last edited by Virginia Emery; Jul 26, 2017 at 6:59 am Reason: [..wrong thread..]
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:25 am
TBD
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KelownaGuy
The Taiwan Airport Tourist Center offers a free half day tour from the airport. One in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Info at:
http://eng.taiwan.net.tw/tour/index.htm
How is this tour?

I did the city tour at Doha a while back ... it was far better than sitting in the airport, but was so quick and with so little insight that it wasn't really useful.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by TBD
How is this tour?

I did the city tour at Doha a while back ... it was far better than sitting in the airport, but was so quick and with so little insight that it wasn't really useful.
I think you can go around without any tour.

Whether you join the tour or not, I recommend 1 place to eat (if you like pork chops) near Taipei Train Station

金軒排骨
No. 4, Lane 6, Emei Street, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108

See Google Map

It's right off the Ximending Metro Station and in the back alley.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:58 pm

I also have a similiar layover time in Oct flying from Toronto to Osaka, good to know its plenty of time.

Question about luggage. I'm only planning on bringing carry-on luggage and was going to check it in Toronto with the intent that I can simply check it through to my destination and not have to worry about storage etc when i go into taipei to explore. Is this allowed or will I have to clear immigration with my all my belongings and then re-check them (if its allowed that far in advance). If this is the case, I won't bother checking to avoid the waits.

Additionally, I'm flying in J would the lounge let me enter that far in advance of departure to make use of a shower when I arrive to freshen up for the day ahead?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by HighgateFlyer
I also have a similiar layover time in Oct flying from Toronto to Osaka, good to know its plenty of time.

Question about luggage. I'm only planning on bringing carry-on luggage and was going to check it in Toronto with the intent that I can simply check it through to my destination and not have to worry about storage etc when i go into taipei to explore. Is this allowed or will I have to clear immigration with my all my belongings and then re-check them (if its allowed that far in advance). If this is the case, I won't bother checking to avoid the waits.

Additionally, I'm flying in J would the lounge let me enter that far in advance of departure to make use of a shower when I arrive to freshen up for the day ahead?
Yes, you can check your luggage through to Osaka. You do not have to clear custom and re-check it.

Yes, you may use the the EVA Lounge on arrival. Just follow the transit line up to the Lounge to freshen up. Then you can go back down to Arrival to clear Immigration.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Layover for Argentine Citizen

I have searched everywhere for an answer to this question but could not find a definitive answer. My wife is an argentine citizen and I want to take a suprise trip to PQC but with a long layover in TPE. Would she be allowed to enter TPE and exit as long as she has an onward ticket to Vietnam? If she can could we only stay airside and not be able to go to EVA lounge because I would love it if we could go to the city to see the sights during a potential 11 hour and 30 minute layover. I am an American citizen so I know this is now issue for me but I am curious about her.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
I have searched everywhere for an answer to this question but could not find a definitive answer. My wife is an argentine citizen and I want to take a suprise trip to PQC but with a long layover in TPE. Would she be allowed to enter TPE and exit as long as she has an onward ticket to Vietnam? If she can could we only stay airside and not be able to go to EVA lounge because I would love it if we could go to the city to see the sights during a potential 11 hour and 30 minute layover. I am an American citizen so I know this is now issue for me but I am curious about her.
What country is PQC? Do you mean PRC?

Argentinians require a visa from the local diplomatic mission to enter Taiwan. You would have to stay airside or apply for a visa at the closest diplomatic mission before leaving. IIRC, Taiwan does not offer any type of short layover visa free program.
If you are flying in Business Class or are a *G holder, you can enter the lounge. If not, you can visit the Plaza Premium lounge and pay to enter, it is not that expensive and the facilities are pretty nice. There is also another lounge called "The More Business Lounge" which you can pay to enter but the lounge is TERRIBLE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.