Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

EVA connection protection and separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, UA Silver, MR Plat, HH Gold, Amtrak Select, Avis Preferred Plus

Flying from the US to TPE in late summer. Would like to include a side-trip to SIN that returns on the same day as the US flight: SIN-TPE-US. I have already booked the US-TPE-US ticket (elite), but still need to book TPE-SIN-TPE (probably economy).

Does EVA provide connection protection across two separate tickets? For example, if the SIN-TPE flight is delayed or cancelled, will EVA provide free alternatives for the TPE-US flight?

Additionally, will EVA check through the luggage from SIN all the way to the US?
Old May 22, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
EVA Won't protect unless there's an good reason like a lot of people will miss the connection , etc.

You didn't mention which US airport so it all depends.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
There are 2 definitions of "protect" used around these parts.

If you are asking if they will proactivily take care of you, I think tennis is likely correct. Only if a bunch on the SN-TPE will miss TPE-USA. And even so, they might not notice you (but if you ask, I think they would likely take care of you).

If you mean will they allow you to rebook on the next availablity flight, then yes. They should do this. They have no rules on such (that I know of), but it would be consistent with how they work in other cases of missed flights.

Fortunately they never learned the US carriers ploy of trying to rape those with travel fails.

And I do not do checked luggage, so can not help you there. I would think they would through check though.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by exwannabe
There are 2 definitions of "protect" used around these parts.

If you are asking if they will proactivily take care of you, I think tennis is likely correct. Only if a bunch on the SN-TPE will miss TPE-USA. And even so, they might not notice you (but if you ask, I think they would likely take care of you).

If you mean will they allow you to rebook on the next availablity flight, then yes. They should do this. They have no rules on such (that I know of), but it would be consistent with how they work in other cases of missed flights.

Fortunately they never learned the US carriers ploy of trying to rape those with travel fails.

And I do not do checked luggage, so can not help you there. I would think they would through check though.
Tennis is correct.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
They've checked luggage all the way through for me in the past ...though that was three years ago.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, UA Silver, MR Plat, HH Gold, Amtrak Select, Avis Preferred Plus
Thanks for all the feedback.

I want to make sure that if the SIN-TPE flight is cancelled or delayed, they will make changes to my TPE-JFK to connect the new SIN-TPE without change fees or differences in fare.

Based on what exwannabe wrote, it sounds like they would probably help me out. But I did not find anything like that in the contract of carriage, so it would be goodwill.

I will investigate the cost of changing the JFK-TPE-JFK to include TPE-SIN-TPE, and compare to the cost of two individual tickets.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't think you need to worry about it. It is a small enough airline and they will take care of it. If you leave enough gap (check the valid connections for through flights and take screenshots), I don't see how they can not help you.

It might be possible that the SIN GS will defer to TPE. Does BR non-refundable tickets have these "NO VALUE AFTER DEP" endorsements?
Old May 23, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by rafkeduck
Thanks for all the feedback.

I want to make sure that if the SIN-TPE flight is cancelled or delayed, they will make changes to my TPE-JFK to connect the new SIN-TPE without change fees or differences in fare.

Based on what exwannabe wrote, it sounds like they would probably help me out. But I did not find anything like that in the contract of carriage, so it would be goodwill.

I will investigate the cost of changing the JFK-TPE-JFK to include TPE-SIN-TPE, and compare to the cost of two individual tickets.
Separate tix protection is almost always a 'goodwill' case with any airline.

Why are you so concerned with delays ex-SIN? Is the flight's 30 day delay average very high or is your booking around typhoon season? SIN is pretty efficient at getting planes in and out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.