Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA Air Cabin Stowage help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by username
Did you not get caught or got caught and they said it was not a problem?
Both my bags were "caught" at check-in when they went on the scale...my bagpack with the laptop was around 10kg and my roller was about 25kg or so from memory. They allowed me to take both after some discussion and asking me to take some things out of rollerbag and put in my backpack - which made no sense to me, but once they put the carry-on tags on the bag, you're good to go at the gate.

Oddly enough, the same BR check-in staff working NH flights at TPE won't give carry-on bags a second glance, but when they work the BR flights, everything goes on the scale.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by username
Did you not get caught or got caught and they said it was not a problem?
Yes, all of my carry on luggage was "caught" at check in at YYZ. However, the agent let us off the hook for all of them. I was stupid in the sense that I didn't check the weight restrictions on BR as i'm used to flying on AC, and I made it known. She basically said...well just so you know for next time, and then slapped the carry on tags on all my bags. Stuff like this makes me want to fly them again
Old May 22, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA MP Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I have the exact same bag. The issue is not size, as this bag fits perfectly fine lengthwise in any 777 overhead bin, but weight.
Seems like a bunch of BR flyers are sporting B&R. Hm.. BR. B&R.

So I was able to convince the check-in staff at my first BR airport to allow both my backpack and BR widebody (which was substantially overweight), and I left the "carry-on approved" tags on the handles of both bags for my return flight and just pointed out to the check-in agent they were already approved....and she let me go.

I don't know where you're departing from, but when faced with similar situations on airlines with strict carry-on inspections at check-in, I've either left the bag in my car during check-in or left it with the temporary baggage storage office at the airport so they never see it. For me, avoiding checked bags is of utmost importance, so I go to great lengths to make sure my bags stay with me - in your situation, you might be perfectly fine just checking the bag.
Would this be an issue with OLCI? I usually fly carry-on only, so flying ex-YYZ I won't even need to visit the check-in desk. I'm also guessing that if some of you have had the problem in RL, that I would have the same problem in PE.

Also, does BR check baggage weight/size at the gate? If not, I could try to skip the check-in desk altogether with OLCI.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
- which made no sense to me
Other than weight distribution which I doubt it, I think they do it to make there customers angry and not want to do it in the future.

I find it pretty dumb but yeah I agree with you.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bt_yyz
Would this be an issue with OLCI? I usually fly carry-on only, so flying ex-YYZ I won't even need to visit the check-in desk. I'm also guessing that if some of you have had the problem in RL, that I would have the same problem in PE.

Also, does BR check baggage weight/size at the gate? If not, I could try to skip the check-in desk altogether with OLCI.
No, I've never seen them inspect at the gate, even when looking for the orange carry on tags. We work around this by checking in separately...one goes to the counter to check in, the other waits around the corner with the bags, then we switch. They never see the bags, and we never have a problem.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
No, I've never seen them inspect at the gate, even when looking for the orange carry on tags. We work around this by checking in separately...one goes to the counter to check in, the other waits around the corner with the bags, then we switch. They never see the bags, and we never have a problem.
I also have never seen them check the orange tag (and mine are rarely on the bag). The only reason to even put it on your carry-on would be you have no place to throw it away.

I do see a valid reason why the Asian airlines in general could reasonably have more of an issue with carry on weight. The FA's of all airlines do have to help out (and the airline has no way of knowing in advance when and which bags). But it is obviously harder for a shorter FA who is having to step on that little seat footstep thing. I would suspect they train and certify to ability to handle bags up to a specific weight.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oddly enough, the same BR check-in staff working NH flights at TPE won't give carry-on bags a second glance, but when they work the BR flights, everything goes on the scale.
It actually makes sense to me. I was told by BR people that if the cabin crew finds a bag that is overweight (i.e. in the process of helping the passenger), it goes onto the Chief Purser's report and the ground staff will be accountable. I think the CP reports are now electronic too so it won't get lost in the shuffles...If it is NH, that is not a problem

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I would suspect they train and certify to ability to handle bags up to a specific weight.
7 KG, maybe Interesting enough, http://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/careers/...abin-crew.html shows the current hiring requirements and one of the tests are "心算測驗" (mental arithmetic test) No listed criteria like the US where you must be able to reach a certain height or anything. However it also does not list one has to be female of certain age - and you know they have those rules too.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:26 am

I also have never seen them check the orange tag (and mine are rarely on the bag). The only reason to even put it on your carry-on would be you have no place to throw it away.

I do see a valid reason why the Asian airlines in general could reasonably have more of an issue with carry on weight. The FA's of all airlines do have to help out (and the airline has no way of knowing in advance when and which bags). But it is obviously harder for a shorter FA who is having to step on that little seat footstep thing. I would suspect they train and certify to ability to handle bags up to a specific weight.
That could make sense, but it would never occur to me to ever ask a FA for help with my bag....if someone overpacks their bag and hands it to a FA to lift for them, then shame on that person.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...The FA's of all airlines do have to help out...
Some USA FAs would say "we cannot help you as it is not covered if we get hurt". I guess that is the difference.

My philosophy is that, with the exception of the elderly, handicapped, pregnant, if you carry it, you lift it! Don't expect other passengers or the FA to help you.

The widebodies do have higher bins - what one can lift on a narrowbody might not be possible on the widebody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.