Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA and UIA plan to merge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Smile EVA and UIA plan to merge

According Taiwan's news report, EVA and UIA (Uni Air) plan to merge.

(If you read Chinese, see http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/life/breakingnews/1253628)

Simple Translation: (Apologize for my poor English)

For aviation safety and brand management reason, UNI, a domestic and regional subsidiary of EVA, is now estimating to merge with EVA, Chang Kuo-wei, the chairman of EVA said.

As a member of Star Alliance, the merge will also add value to domestic lines.

It might take two or three years to complete that. But passenger can earn miles on both international and domestic flights in the future, Chang said.

Last edited by koika; Mar 12, 2015 at 8:02 am
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Link doesn't work. I thought they were the same airline all this time?? Guess I was wrong.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Link doesn't work. I thought they were the same airline all this time?? Guess I was wrong.
Both are under the same Evergreen Group, but independent of each other in terms of operation. I suppose the move would reduce a good bit of redundancy.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by gracall
I suppose the move would reduce a good bit of redundancy.
And create a lot of redundancies! (of staff)
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Talking about Uni Air?

So now we might get miles on them too?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Part of the reason EVA and UNI are separate is the Taiwanese government divides traffic rights to Mainland China by carrier. So, EVA has UNI and China has Mandarin to increase their allocation.

For the merger to happen, EVA wants the Taiwanese government to change the allocation method so it would not be put at a disadvantage. He thinks it will take 2-3 years before it happens, at the earliest.

http://udn.com/news/story/7241/75966...B8%89%E8%B4%8F is an article in Chinese.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other interesting thing is that if they merge, would EVA's safety stats include past incidents from the other airlines (that are now part of UNI).

UNI lost an MD-90 once because some idiot brought on flammable liquids that caught fire on landing. I think the other carriers it acquired also had incidents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.