Wiki Posts
Search

Will EVA air join any alliance?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Will EVA air join any alliance?

It seems by Taiwan news reports, next week China Air will release plans/agreement to join Sky Team. With that news, does anyone have any idea if EVA Air will/plan join one of the other alliances
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if they do, with which, One World or Star?

What is their current relationship with NH?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
EVA has always expressed no interests in Alliances.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
EVA has always expressed no interests in Alliances.
That may be, but if CI actually does join Skyteam, BR would have to have a serious look at joining one.

I've said before that I personally wouldn't mind either of Oneworld or Star. I miss having Oneworld Emerald status since I'm no longer an AA Executive Platinum member (that has been since I gave up flying CX for BR), but on the other hand, I wouldn't mind having back *G status with Star, it's been a few years for me on that one.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bloomberg is reporting that CI will announce on 9/14 that it is joining SkyTeam. Not sure when the actual effective date will be.

My guess is it will at least be a year before EVA does anything, if at all. As Coolfish mentioned, they don't see a need for joining an alliance.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...eals-time.html - someone should merge the threads...

Last edited by username; Sep 10, 2010 at 9:19 am
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:17 am
Suspended

It has been reported for a number of weeks CI is joining ST and BR will not join any programme as there is still the wish of the board who would love to see BR stop flying passengers and focus on cargo only. This is under debate constantly and is becoming a bigger topic year by year for the board
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by snickerstestpilot
It has been reported for a number of weeks CI is joining ST and BR will not join any programme as there is still the wish of the board who would love to see BR stop flying passengers and focus on cargo only. This is under debate constantly and is becoming a bigger topic year by year for the board
Just out of curiosity, do you have a link to share about the above concerning EVA's board?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:09 am

I don't think snicker would have a link for the sources he just described (like I wouldn't have a link on the information leak out of China Airlines announcing the intention to join Skyteam on 9/14). I have heard similar sources on that for the stands of EVA as well, but the board is too... proud... to admit they are not suitable for the passenger jet industry. Therefore, I think EVA will stay in the passenger jet industry but probably limited scope until the managements change their thoughts.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
A source tells me that jimbo99 doesn't fly so much with other airlines these days so would very much prefer EVA not to join an alliance for fear of his nice treatment by EVA FAs being diluted.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:23 pm

At the end, it's always up to you to believe the sources! But it really depends on where you are hearing it.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:33 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Sadly, after years of EVA being my primary airline, since they more or less broke up with CO they are no longer useful to me based on their own diminished FF program and lack of partners. I truly love EVA as an airline but cannot justify the relative lack of FF benefits. When my Gold status expired recently they mailed me a Silver card good for another two years along with a questionnaire asking me why I was not flying with them as much as I used to. I responded that the lack of partners was in fact the primary reason I am not flying EVA these days. I REALLY liked EVA as an airline but alas between 70% miles, no bonus miles and no partners I just can't justify them as a primary airline anymore. PR of all airlines has been the recipient of my business this year and as a newly minted PR elite I have already got more op-ups from PR this year than I got from BR in the last 5 years. I'm a big fan of EVA but they truly lost me by lack of partners and overly diminishing their own FF program.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
At the moment my impression is that BR have no other interest than to build the business on lucrative mainland routes. Apart from the money, I'm sure it's political or at the very least part of the lovefest with the mainland bandwagon that is running in Taiwan.

On BKK-LHR (after being OP-UPed to PL!!) I had a bit of a chat with the purser. I told her my main gripe as a FF was getting availability in Elite, particularly since some of the flights had been cut. She really looked despondent and apologised about the new focus. Said that now everything was about China.

Perhaps in time they will partner-up with some mainland carriers. But right now I feel EVA are somewhat introverted. Getting away with "international" type fares on what are really "domestic" type shuttles, who can blame them.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jimbo99
At the moment my impression is that BR have no other interest than to build the business on lucrative mainland routes. Apart from the money, I'm sure it's political or at the very least part of the lovefest with the mainland bandwagon that is running in Taiwan.

On BKK-LHR (after being OP-UPed to PL!!) I had a bit of a chat with the purser. I told her my main gripe as a FF was getting availability in Elite, particularly since some of the flights had been cut. She really looked despondent and apologised about the new focus. Said that now everything was about China.

Perhaps in time they will partner-up with some mainland carriers. But right now I feel EVA are somewhat introverted. Getting away with "international" type fares on what are really "domestic" type shuttles, who can blame them.
While yields must be pretty good on the TPE-Chinese trunk routes now, the advantage of CI's Skyteam membership should become clear to frequent flyers very soon. Right now, BR has at best daily frequency to PEK/PVG/CAN and very weak access to secondary cities. Skyteam will be able to provide triple coverage of CI, CZ, MU offering multiple daily departure from TPE and KHH to PEK/PVG/CAN, plus one-stop jump at KE's Inchon hub with wide access to secondary and third tier Chinese cities. BR will not be able to go it alone for very long. All the front cabin traffic will start to flow to Skyteam ex-TPE.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bzcat
While yields must be pretty good on the TPE-Chinese trunk routes now, the advantage of CI's Skyteam membership should become clear to frequent flyers very soon. Right now, BR has at best daily frequency to PEK/PVG/CAN and very weak access to secondary cities. Skyteam will be able to provide triple coverage of CI, CZ, MU offering multiple daily departure from TPE and KHH to PEK/PVG/CAN, plus one-stop jump at KE's Inchon hub with wide access to secondary and third tier Chinese cities. BR will not be able to go it alone for very long. All the front cabin traffic will start to flow to Skyteam ex-TPE.
As much as I hope BR would join *A, my guess is that BR would try to get a tighter alliance with a Chinese carrier instead. I am not sure what the terms of *A is, I can see BR and CA team up but outside *A, if CA is allowed to do so.

BR will probably lose CO very soon (not that what they have now is any good). It will be interesting what they do or not do next.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:29 pm

Apparently BR's owner Chang Jung Fa's youngest son is back into power after a scandal reported by the media 4 years ago. His son is one of those that thinks much more modern and was the one who decided to buy Boeing 777-300ER for EVA Air back then. Maybe they will re-think on the alliance and FFP... But to be honest, the FFP is really just a competition of worse between them and CI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.