Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

CDG to Amsterdam - Thalys or better option?

Old Jan 8, 23, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz 5*

Flying into CDG and need to get to Amsterdam. Thalys from Gare du Nord seems like the best option, but is there an alternative from the CDG TGV station? I found one but the ride is twice as long as Thalys and requires a change en route. Is there another option that I may be missing?
Old Jan 9, 23, 8:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by DavidDTW View Post
Flying into CDG and need to get to Amsterdam. Thalys from Gare du Nord seems like the best option, but is there an alternative from the CDG TGV station? I found one but the ride is twice as long as Thalys and requires a change en route. Is there another option that I may be missing?
There are several direct TGV trains per day from CDG to Brussels South (Bruxelles Midi). From there you can connect to Amsterdam, usually with a 50mins to 1h15 layover. I'd take that over backtracking to Gare du Nord on the RER.
To find these trains, use reiseauskunft.bahn.de and sort the results by number of changes.
farci and Sealink like this.
Old Jan 11, 23, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tom tulpe View Post
There are several direct TGV trains per day from CDG to Brussels South (Bruxelles Midi). From there you can connect to Amsterdam, usually with a 50mins to 1h15 layover. I'd take that over backtracking to Gare du Nord on the RER.
To find these trains, use reiseauskunft.bahn.de and sort the results by number of changes.
Thanks. That option did not show up on the sites I searched. I will look into it.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 11, 23, 10:50 am

www.b-europe.com (site of the Belgian railways for internationa travel) will sell you both parts together. (Maybe SNCF as well, but I have not tried it there.)
DavidDTW likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 10:47 am

Hey everyone. I'm traveling to Europe in April for the first time since 2011.

My current plan is to stay a few days in Paris and then travel onward to Amsterdam.

Initially, I considered flying KLM/Air France from CDG to AMS.

But then I learned that taking a high-speed train from Paris-Nord to Amsterdam Central Station is a much cheaper option.

Is taking Thalys similar to taking Amtrak?
Old Jan 24, 23, 2:32 pm

Programs: AF/KLM FB Gold, AccorHotels Gold
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Hey everyone. I'm traveling to Europe in April for the first time since 2011.

My current plan is to stay a few days in Paris and then travel onward to Amsterdam.

Initially, I considered flying KLM/Air France from CDG to AMS.

But then I learned that taking a high-speed train from Paris-Nord to Amsterdam Central Station is a much cheaper option.

It's much better . The punctuality and reliability is better, and so are the speeds.

Show up at the Gare du Nord 15mn before departure, scan your ticket, get in your seat. Doesn't get easier than that. There's a reason rail beats air (or replaces it altogther) for many city-to-city hops.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 3:46 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
+ Proper high-speed trains, using mainly purpose-built high-speed tracks. Just over 3:10 hrs for the fastest trains from Paris to Amsterdam.
+ frequent departures, up to 13 per day
+ not expensive if booked in advance and/or at times of low demand
+ no check-in procedure (unlike Eurostar trains to London) - if you're on the train when the doors close, you're good
+ bar snacks are better (not included in ticket price - given the travel time, consider eating before/after the trip, it'll almost certainly be better value)
- you can't check-in luggage and there are no porters. You carry it onboard or it doesn't travel with you.
- other than in premium class (where you get an airline-style meal), no hot food other than micovawe pizza available
- you can't book tables in the restaurant ("bar") car
+- there are lounges, but only for premium class

- no sleeper trains on Thalys
Old Today, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by mlin32 View Post
Show up at the Gare du Nord 15mn before departure, scan your ticket, get in your seat. Doesn't get easier than that. There's a reason rail beats air (or replaces it altogther) for many city-to-city hops.
Could I purchase my ticket on the Thalys website?

Do I need to download an app to have my ticket appear on my phone?

Search this Thread